• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

W.I.P Thread for Dreamers Coats for Harry

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Ok so I am starting a thread for this so its not cluttering up other threads and so it wont get lost in the chatter.

First up we have the very very pale horse, Albino to some but other wise known as Creamellos, Perlinos and Smokey Creams. They are a bit tricky to get looking right and different enough from each other with out loosing what they should be. They are tricky to render in a way that shows the colour right too as they are more light reactive than darker colours.

Please be free with your feed back, what you like about a coat, what you don't like. Suggestions for them even ideas for other colours etc.

Creamello with and without dappling
Cream.jpg

Cream+Dapple.jpg

Smokey Cream with and without dappling
SmokeyCream.jpg

SmokeyCream+Dapple.jpg

Perlino with and without dappling
Perlino.jpg

Perlino+Dapple.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
it is sooo hard to get the pale horses to look right because of lighting :).

The Double Dilutes have paler eyes than you have here (the blue is VERY pale, almost white looking sometimes)
Ttop is DD eyes, bottom is blue eye caused by white pattern to show difference between the 2.

Albinism is caused by a recessive gene, meaning an animal must carry 2 copies of the gene, one from each parent, in order to express the color (or rather, lack there of). One copy of the gene has no effect on coat color. Because of this, 2 albinos bred together will always produce an albino. This does not happen in horses because no white horse's coat is caused by a recessive gene, and none of these white horses breed true as an albino would. Cremello is the result of two cream genes, one from each parent, acting on a chestnut base coat. The cream gene is an incomplete dominant, meaning that two copies of the gene will dilute the coat color more than just one. One cream gene combined with chestnut will dilute the coat to create palomino. Two creams genes dilute the coat to cremello, a very pale, golden shade often mistaken for white. Cremellos always have blue eyes which can lead to confusion with albino, a color that simply doesn't exist in any horse breed. True albinism is a recessive condition characterised by red-eyes, pink skin, and a total lack of dark pigment. Cremellos do still have some pale golden pigment to their coats and skin as well as blue pigment in the eyes as you can see below on this Cremello Pinto. (Also Perlino is 2 cream genes on Bay and Smokey Creme is 2 on Black).

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Rae134 yeah the eye dose need to be lightened up but I wanted to get the coats on the right line first as they are the hard part. Also true albinism in horses is lethal, none of them live more than a day (I only put Albino for the non horse mad folk out there ;) ).
All the DD are so close together as well :eek:
Humm need to do some thing for hooves too, Harry's current ones don't quite look right with the creams

Dan30

Adventurous
haha I didn't even look at his hooves :) I can't remember what colour my friends Creme was.

This one has "bone" coloured hooves but he also has 4 white stockings so they could be making the hooves that colour and not the Creme.

How come some of them get to look so shiny? Are they waxed or something?

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
How come some of them get to look so shiny? Are they waxed or something?
Dan the one at the top is like that due to some little qurk of the breed, they have this amazing metallic sheen to the coat and are famous for their "Golden" horses. Look up Akahl Teke, they also come in silver ;) I am hoping I can find a way to reproduce the effect on Harry once I get these creamy coats nailed down

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
P.S Official horse nut here, I have lived and breathed horses most of my life one way on another ;)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I've read just about every book I could get my hands on about them. owned them and worked with them. Now I try and bring them to life in 3D

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Some other horses have it too, its just the ATs are known for it as it occurs a lot in the breed especially in their single and double dilute colours. (I'm not sure if it has something to do with them having a thin coat). Champagne is another dilute colour pattern (but not the same one as the creme gene) that the metallic coat is common on.

This is a Quarter horse that has that sheen, only a horse in very good condition will have it (but not all horses in good condition will have it if that makes sense).

My chestnut thoroughbred was in very poor condition when I got him, his coat was dull orangey red, when I got him in good condition and fattened up he had the most glorious copper sheen in his red coat. Similar to this render I did, but my boy had a red mane and tail not the flaxen (I edited the Friesian texture from black to red for this, Laurie is the texture Queen!)
Flaxen Chestnut Akhal Teke | HiveWire 3D Community

Sorry for hijacking your thread Dreamer :D

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
True Rae other breeds can show it, but yeah they have to to be in tip top condition and normally live inside year round too as that helps. Some of the racers I worked with had a bit in the right light. Down here most horse live out year round so you don't get to see the super short, fine glossy coats, they are all ways just a little bit scruffy lol

Dan30

Adventurous
Great looking horses. Do they shine in the night too?:laugh:
So Rae, Dreamer,you are horse owners as well, same like Laurie. I wish I had at least a pony. Consider yourselves very lucky for being able to share the company of such magnificent animals.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Dan30 I haven't had the joy of owning a horse in far too long, life has kinda prevented me :( I am hopping one day I might be able to get another but I am going to be hard pushed to find one that will measure up to ether my first or my last one

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
True Rae other breeds can show it, but yeah they have to to be in tip top condition and normally live inside year round too as that helps. Some of the racers I worked with had a bit in the right light. Down here most horse live out year round so you don't get to see the super short, fine glossy coats, they are all ways just a little bit scruffy lol

But we need coats that look more scruffy...at least I do. All fine and dandy getting glossy smooth groomed coats if that is your thing. But for certain renders like something more historically authentic and more applicable use of less than perfect groomed coats is needed. Many other cultures even today are not so particular about that especially for animals that live outside year round. Scruffy, fleabite mangy plains wild horse coats please! LOL

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Well you can get a huge ole dawg and put a saddle on it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. My blood sugar dropped so low I am sitting here quivering gulping down chocolate milk and trying to get normalized enough to get dinner going. Never go shopping when hungry if you want to be frugal and I did. Ouch.
Never go on-line when stressed or dealing eith anger or low blood sugar...and I did! Sorry.

have always loved the idea of horses and ownership and riding. Been riding a few times (if you could call what I did horseback riding).
When I moved to Virginia I thought it was finally going to happen at least the riding part. But then I hurt my back and that killed the dream in a sad and ugly way. I know just enough about horses and breeds to be a pain in the butt as you may all have noticed. :()

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Ok so I am starting a thread for this so its not cluttering up other threads and so it wont get lost in the chatter.

First up we have the very very pale horse, Albino to some but other wise known as Creamellos, Perlinos and Smokey Creams. They are a bit tricky to get looking right and different enough from each other with out loosing what they should be. They are tricky to render in a way that shows the colour right too as they are more light reactive than darker colours.

Please be free with your feed back, what you like about a coat, what you don't like. Suggestions for them even ideas for other colours etc.

Creamello with and without dappling
View attachment 17233
View attachment 17234

Smokey Cream with and without dappling
View attachment 17235
View attachment 17236

Perlino with and without dappling
View attachment 17239
View attachment 17238

Lie the modulations in the nose. Looks more realistic. Notice the ears and the pink is more pronounced and that is nice. Still having difficulty wrapping my myopic stubborn head around purple hair. I know it is in the render but what causes it to turn that color and just the mane and tail? I have white horse textures that never turn purple.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
But we need coats that look more scruffy...at least I do. All fine and dandy getting glossy smooth groomed coats if that is your thing. But for certain renders like something more historically authentic and more applicable use of less than perfect groomed coats is needed. Many other cultures even today are not so particular about that especially for animals that live outside year round. Scruffy, fleabite mangy plains wild horse coats please! LOL
I have some ideas for the more scruffy coats too, just got to see if it will work ;)

Well you can get a huge ole dawg and put a saddle on it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. My blood sugar dropped so low I am sitting here quivering gulping down chocolate milk and trying to get normalized enough to get dinner going. Never go shopping when hungry if you want to be frugal and I did. Ouch.
Never go on-line when stressed or dealing eith anger or low blood sugar...and I did! Sorry.

have always loved the idea of horses and ownership and riding. Been riding a few times (if you could call what I did horseback riding).
When I moved to Virginia I thought it was finally going to happen at least the riding part. But then I hurt my back and that killed the dream in a sad and ugly way. I know just enough about horses and breeds to be a pain in the butt as you may all have noticed. :()
Oh dear, do take care of your self! I know about the shopping when hungry thing, done that my self :x3: Your not being a pain in the butt lol

Lie the modulations in the nose. Looks more realistic. Notice the ears and the pink is more pronounced and that is nice. Still having difficulty wrapping my myopic stubborn head around purple hair. I know it is in the render but what causes it to turn that color and just the mane and tail? I have white horse textures that never turn purple.
Its a mix of the colour, the material settings on the mane with transparency and light colour. I need to see if I can do some thing with the mat settings it counteract it. I think I could get away with a bit more freckling round the eyes and nose but don't want to over do it.

Here is a new eye colour for the pale horses
PaleEye.jpg