• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Using VWD Cloth and Hair to make HW Horse's hair dynamic?

Eota

Inspired
Does anyone else have the new dynamic plugin 'VWD Cloth and Hair'? I got the Lite version (and Daz Studio bridge) from Renderosity recently and really like it, but it's a little bit of a learning curve, and I'm trying to figure out how to make Harry's mane, tail, and maybe even fetlocks dynamic in it. Since it can make conforming/non-dynamic objects (clothing, props, hair, etc) dynamic, I fully believe this is possible.

Through a little trial and error, I've been able to make Harry's mane a dynamic cloth object that I've 'nailed' to him along his forehead and the back of his neck, but this doesn't create a very nice 'hair-like' simulation, and would be difficult to replicate with his tail and fetlocks, since they aren't a nice, single straight line. I'd love to be able to make them all hair objects instead, but I'm having much more trouble with this.

It seems like a slim chance that anyone else is trying to do this yet, but I thought I'd ask around, since a lot of you are far more knowledgeable about the general workings of dynamic objects than I am, and if any of you have VWD, you might have some idea. (I'm not even entirely sure I'm supposed to ask this here- please feel free to delete it, if not!)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Once he finally discovers the thread, that is...

I haven't tried it yet, since I'm trying to finish giving Kitty a proper LAMH haircut before the Jungle Love Contest closes, but it is certainly high on my list. From my experience with the plugin so far, it should work wonderfully, you would just have to set it up right.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol vb...sorry I should have pm'ed you. I didn't think of it...sorry my brain is in holiday mode.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
The answer is, yes, it does work. Just had to take a quick break from the Kitty barbershop, so I ran a quick test. In this image, the mane is run through VWD, but not the tail and fetlocks.
vwd mane.jpg

It's not perfect, but the test was just to see if it would run or not, and it did run.

Eota

Inspired
The answer is, yes, it does work. Just had to take a quick break from the Kitty barbershop, so I ran a quick test. In this image, the mane is run through VWD, but not the tail and fetlocks.
View attachment 16445
It's not perfect, but the test was just to see if it would run or not, and it did run.
Thank you, you two! For a first test, it's looking fantastic! I can definitely see how you'd need to play around with it to get your desired effect, which I haven't had much time to do yet, but I love this plugin so far and I have high hopes for what we can achieve with it! I've always struggled a little bit with custom-posing Harry's mane, just because I'm too lazy to pose all those individual bones for each strand, run a test render to see where they're clipping, try to tweak it, run another test render, etc., so I'd love to try to use this to achieve a realistic/dramatic result without having to do that every time. ;) So far, it's looking amazing, VB! Thanks so much for replying to this, and for testing it out for me. I still have to figure out how to assign a scalp preset that isn't one of the pre-existing preset options (I've looked up how to do it, but I'm evidently doing something wrong still), but I'm very excited to see it in action!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Trust me, my motives were not entirely unselfish... :)

Instead of selecting a skullcap preset, you have to use the vertex selection lasso to select a hunk of vertices on Harry's spine. I assume you can save your own skullcap preset once you've done it once, but I haven't worked out how to do that yet.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Don't know exactly where to put this, but thought I'd just give a shout to let y'all know that VWD Cloth and Hair is on sale for 50% off until Friday...

Blood Red Silk.jpg

It really is a lot of fun to play with, and I personally didn't find the learning curve too bad; Blender was a LOT worse... :)