• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Upgrading to Version 4.9 Pros and Cons...or any other version you want to talk about.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So...I'm almost to the end of my Diva project and starting to think about upgrading to 4.9. If you have already tried this I would be interested in your thoughts. Particularly, what went well? What didn't go so well? What was interesting and what sucked?

Did you have any problems with content? If so how do you normally access your content? Via the standard runtime directories? Via categories or smart content?

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I upgraded as soon as it was released as I was using the beta in the first place. Nothing's changed for me, it still runs smooth, and I have no trouble w/ my content. I've always used the content library and not smart content to access my library, though. I did however cave and install PostgreSQL for the soul purpose of removing that annoying popup about Studio not finding a valid connection.

I've even logged into connect once or twice, but still continue to use DIM just as I always have since it's release.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I already have PostgreSQL installed as I use categories...glad to hear that it works well for you Vaskania. Have you left the Connect tab up or do you just check on it from time to time? Does it still have issues with the sale prices...

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I upgraded as soon as it was released as I was using the beta in the first place. Nothing's changed for me, it still runs smooth, and I have no trouble w/ my content. I've always used the content library and not smart content to access my library, though. I did however cave and install PostgreSQL for the soul purpose of removing that annoying popup about Studio not finding a valid connection.
I've even logged into connect once or twice, but still continue to use DIM just as I always have since it's release.
Same here, same working habits.
Don't use connect at all.
Not shure if all custom categories maked in 4.8 survived — some are here, but I just don't rememder how many it were. (I experimented with it but never on full scale.)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Are you still using it phdubrov? Or have you gone back to 4.8? It's the custom categories that I'm worried about as I've set up my own categories don't use the ones that come with it at all.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Still using. As I said, I so rarely use categories that I don't remember if there is some glitches in it.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I keep connect closed since I install everything through DIM. I haven't installed a single thing through connect, and I'm not even sure if I have any of those connect-only freebies, either. Not for the lack of wanting to use connect, more for the lack of paying attention to their releases. lol

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
My advice would be to continue doing things as you're currently doing, but in the new version. If you want to explore the newer methods, then ease into it as you feel comfortable. I've noticed that connect seems to have it's own section in the content management window and auto-creates it's own library, so you can safely install connect things without them intermingling with your existing libraries.

connectlibraries.PNG

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info...I will probably stick to categories. I was a bit worried about how they transfer over as some people initially were having issues.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I haven't used categories in quite some time. I was tired of continuously having to back them up to avoid losing them, so I just separated things out by library (gen 4 people, hair, hivewire people, daz library, weapons, environment, etc)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I use them exclusively for doing renders. I only go into the other sessions to convert them to categories after installing.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I installed 4.9 when it first came out and lost all my categories I had just spent the last 2 weeks prior setting up. I really need to upgrade my computer, it just barely works with 4.8 but doesn't like 4.9 (freezes all the time, buggy etc but is prob just my comp).
I installed 4.9 on my laptop but it wouldn't download to my external HD and I don't have much room on the internal HD so ran into problems there with connect (and I found out that the laptop is only 32bit) so I'm kinda stuck using 4.8 at the moment (which is ok for me at this time)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's no good at all Rae...I was a bit worried about losing them when I upgrade...did you manage to get them back when you went to 4.8?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I upgraded right after they released it.
I did need to add my content libraries back so it could find them.
Sometimes I move my files around for one reason or another and need to do that again anyway.
I'm by no means an expert in the use of it but I just jump in and keep trying till I find how it all works.
I'm not sure but I think I upgraded for the new features in Iray.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If you mean like "Animals" and "Characters" and the like, yes.
But they are in the main DS library and I just leave them there putting my things with them.
for instance" People/Dusk/Characters
/Faery_Light/FL Alaric" and the like.

For the poser stuff I add my different Poser folders where I use categories.
I have separate folders for Dusk for Dawn, Harry and the DAZ models as well so it is easier for me to find in Poser so I just add that to my
Poser format in DAZ Studio content library.
I do not use the "My Library" folder or the "My DAZ Library" Folder at all, I just put the content in DAZ 3D folder and my main Program is in DAZ Studio Pro folder to keep it separate.
This is to end the problem I had with absolute path issues.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, I always back up my folders before upgrading, hate to lose my stuff.

I am in process of doing a BIG backup now to another external disk.
I've gotten paranoid about disk failures over the years so I am always backing up with extra copies of stuff.

It is time for me to log off, had a bad night with heartburn and reflux, should have had that nightly tea.
Tonight I did not forget it so now that my Chamomile Tea is starting to relax me I am going to bed.
will pop in tomorrow and follow the thread then. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks FL...night! Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

@Vaskania, thanks I would back it up anyway and do so regularly to add new categories. I'll go and check out the thread. I did look at it when this version was initially released though...