• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

trying to make stuff that works

matt

Hi , i am trying to learn how to make the file structure work in daz studio. I have lightwave, carrara, hexagon and daz4.9. and photo shop. I got into 3d a few years ago when i was bored to tears and some one said try it. So i did and i loved it. i have never really quite doing 3d but i never developed the knowledge to make anything for sale. i am not the greatest modeler but i can get the job done most of the time with some help. What i want to do is be able to make male and female characters for sale and show and share, God knows i wouldn't be this far with out the knowledge and models people over time have shared with me.
is there one book or resource that i can get that will give me what i need? I have watched all kinds of people come and go but it seems the the ones who make it really get this modeling and marketing concepts down pretty good ...not to mention what it takes to get that implemented an access to market. I am wondering here,
most important at this time is ...how? thanks

matt

ok, so here is my first try at rigging ....ok didnt grab correct file

ru time.duf.png

ru time.duf.png

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Hi Matt, you could start making props. Simple props. Something that characters can interact, carry, sit, etc. I started with a pole bar for Dawn do pole dancing with some poses. Now I've started making clothes that is more complicated.

matt

hey thats a good idea,,,thanks. I just got through with a human figure it got mixed up and i didnt fix it so its a she but wearing no cloths ,,,she needs cloths....i put it in a drop box and i have never done this before so if you cant get this please let me know. I do plan to rigg her shortly,,,but she is very generic, no curves to speak of but this is my first go round with all this. never been successful this far before and i kinds excited about the p[possibilities ..https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/FtZxpK787JBfK0IBUDFudu........can i do it this way? and is there a problem of no clothing

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I never modeled an entire figure. If someday I model something, it will be a simple cartoon character which will be less complicated to rig than a human figure. Rigging is a lot of work. You could make a fantasy figure starting with this model. Or make morphs for Dawn or other figure is easier than doing from scratch.

If you plan to sell here, no problem if there's no clothing, but must be dressed in the promo images.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hi @matt ! Welcome to the Hive!

It's great to see your enthusiasm! If you're new at and want to work toward creating a full figure the best course of action may be to start with smaller, simpler things that do not require rigging. Going the "simple Prop" way will familiarize you with the tools in each program as well as how to use them.

If you really want to create a figure on your first go, perhaps something simple like a teddy bear, a child's doll or some kind of simple toy like a toy soldier would be easier to start out with.

I would hate to see all of that great enthusiasm get dampened by the many hurdles there are to creating a figure.

As @LeoLee said, you can also make add-ons for figures that are already out there.

Whatever you decide, enjoy creating!