• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Trying to get up to speed in P11

D

Deleted member 325

So, finally got P11 pro installed. Seemed to go smoothly (waiting for the other shoe to drop yet), but find a lot of differences under options and such. I have one really simple question that so far, the last hour sifting through google results and the SM forum have not answered and could really use some help with.

Is there a way to set the library to external like in Poser 2010, 2012, and 2014?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well there's a long (3 or 4 pages) post about the Library on SM Poser forum, where most of the folks are complaining that the external library is gone, and others stating ways they can get around it.

That said, Ralf Sesseler (Dimension3D) has a script called XL - eXtended Library for Poser in his store at Renderosity, which supposedly lets you use the library in a separate window. I don't have this script, so don't know how it works, but it's something you can look into. Of course, the script isn't free, so not sure how you'd feel about spending the money on it.

D

Deleted member 325

Right now, not looking to spend money to get the library in an external window. I tend to prefer to spend on scripts that give me material effects or render features - that's not to say in the future I won't pick it up. I just need to watch my budgeting right now.

Wonder why they got rid of the external library - just finally got used to it. Wish the Advanced library that was out there still worked with newer versions of Poser, sadly I think development stopped on it (I loved that tool too).

Thansk for the info Miss B

Miss B

CV-BEE
If I had to guess, I'd say because Mozilla doesn't trust Flash any more. I can't get it to be approved in my browsers, so have stopped upgrading it. Not sure about the Air thing, but supposedly that's what's needed to have the External Library.

Several folks on the SM forum said they just "float" it and then when they're not using it they close it, and then click on the little icon of books on a shelf in the top right above where the Library would normally be if not floating. Some folks who have two monitors, just float it, and drag it over to the other monitor.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Float and assign simplier hotkey (alt-` in my case). P3Do still works. LM2 still works if you already have it. (Unaviable now I think.)
And there was somewhere option to use old library, but you need to dig through poser directory and try to find it. It should be html page to run in browser. (Don't use it, so don't remember.) Not shure if it survives to SR6.

D

Deleted member 325

Only major problem with floating is can't minimize it to remove it from the way of work, and trying to drag it around it wants to re-dock where I do not want it. Closing and reopening, not sure on P11 as I have not linked all my runtimes yet, but on every other version of Poser since 8 is a system killer as it needs to rebuild the library every single time (and with multiple library runtimes reaching close to 3/4 of a terabyte that's just not practical). As it is now, I tend to leave Poser running for long periods (days) and when opening fresh, leave the room, make a sandwich, watch an episode or two of BBT while it loads up the library.

Wishlisted XL - eXtended Library for now, might pick it up later.

P.S. wish I had room to do dual monitor...too many towers and other hardware filling my work lab... too old fashioned us C64 generationers.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
1. Uncheck Drag-Dropping enable in window menu.
2. No overhead on open/close in my experience (at least after initial indexing is complete).
3. Hotkey works more like show-hide, no open/close. So second hotkey hit hides library, and the next hit opens it in the same place and in the same runtime/dir like before.

D

Deleted member 325

Thanks for the info. Didn't know the auto-docking could be disabled. This is very helpful.

English Bob

Adventurous
The following was posted at RDNA by @Netherworks - I hope he won't mind me repeating it here.

If you want an external application for the Poser 11 Library, here is a trick to make that work. This
uses a web browser as an external application.
This will not fix Favorites or Indexing issues, but the process will be running outside of Poser.
Steps:
1. Close Poser 11.
2. Go to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11" in your file browser.
3. Open Poser.ini in a (not notepad) text editor.
4. Look for an entry named LIBRARY_EXTERNAL_CLIENT and change the 0 to 1.
5. Save Poser.ini
6. Open Poser 11.
7. Click the Library Button and you will see some "instructions".
8. Highlight everything on the line after "Release URL = ", right-click and choose copy.
9. Open a browser window (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc) and paste that into the URL field.
10. You may need to allow this URL if you are running with safe surfing type addons.
11. You can now access the library externally.

I've been running this successfully on Chrome and Firefox almost since I installed Poser 11. It's very useful to give you more Poser UI space, especially if you have multiple monitors.

I also have and use Dimension3D's XL which is more convenient sometimes, although that's mostly for Poser 10 which won't support this trick, and means I don't need to have stand-alone Flash installed on my PC. (We hates Flash, we hates it!)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Note:
In step 7, the little popup window displays a numerical internal (not internet) address; you can bookmark that address in your browser. You don't need to go through all of this each session - only once. The next time you open Poser, you just open the browser bookmark for the library. You can even nose through the library without having Poser open.

English Bob

Adventurous
Thanks for the clarification, @seachnasaigh - it's been a while since I did this myself - and yes, I bookmarked the library in my browsers immediately and have never used the P11 internal library since.

You can even nose through the library without having Poser open.

Are you certain? My understanding was that Poser provides the web server for that URL. At any rate, I need Poser to be running before it will resolve.

D

Deleted member 325

Thank you all for the helpful tips and ideas.

I mostly have Poser 11 running on my secondary workstation right now. I was very saddened to find it would not run under Win XP 64.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I use PZDB to find things in my giant mess since posers search isn't nearly as fine tuned (or fast) as I'd like. I have two monitors, so I drag n drop from PZDB right into my working window in poser. I do have all my runtimes linked into Poser and have noticed no discernable slowdown in Poser after the initial scan was done. However, if you use search in poser that gets the scan running again, and that can make it pokey for little bit.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Note:
In step 7, the little popup window displays a numerical internal (not internet) address; you can bookmark that address in your browser. You don't need to go through all of this each session - only once. The next time you open Poser, you just open the browser bookmark for the library. You can even nose through the library without having Poser open.
First Note. Interesting how it's not called an ini file but a configuration file.
Second Note. It works! Thank you, @English Bob and the Legendary @seachnasaigh for the info!

@Miss B, thanks for the link!

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've been trying to reverse this process to use the internal library again. Apparently it's not as easy as changing the ini file entry back to 0. Sigh.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hi Rob, just out of curiosity, I was reading Joe's (Netherworks) instructions that English Bob posted, and I just clicked on the Library button in my PP11 and it opened a floating Library. I didn't check to see if it's up-to-date. IOW, does it have everything I've installed the past few years since I've been using the External Library. In the upper right corner of the floating Library, if you hover, it will give you the option to dock it. If the Library looks good to you, try that, and THEN go change the "1" back to "0" in the Poser.ini file, THOUGH, I think that file gets automatically updated every time you make changes to the UI and then close Poser. I "could" be wrong about that, but try it and see if you can get your full Library open and docked before changing that option in the Poser.ini file.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thank you! I'll give it a try. I did try changing the 1 to a 0 but it didn't change a thing. I'll try adding the other changes you suggested.

Thanks again!

quietrob

Extraordinary
No, It didn't work. It still shows an unpopulated library with the release notes. The answer is there in that release URL. I'm sure of it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, question . . . have you downloaded and installed all the content that comes with Poser? That may very well be why you're seeing an unpopulated Library, because the following is a partial screenshot of what I see when I click the Library button (see arrow). I did resize it, as it opens very narrow, so it would fit in the right-hand section of the Poser UI as it does by default. I also deselected Drag-Dropping Enabled so I wouldn't have to worry about where it landed in the UI.

If that's what you did, did you then close Poser, and update the Poser.ini file? I would think that would work. Changing the Poser.ini file first won't work, or at least I don't think so, because it gets overwritten when you close Poser. Hmmmm, now I'm not so sure in which order you should do these things, but first of all make sure you installed all the Poser content that comes with the software.