• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

trackball mouse

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Maybe you guys can help me out here, I am looking for some opinions on trackball mice for use with Poser, DS, Photoshop, Blender and Silo.
I have not been able to find much online about 3D graphics and a trackball so thought I would ask.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm a Wacom Tablet user, so have never used a 3D mouse, but I have heard folks mention the SpaceNavigator by 3DConnexion.

There's a long list of software it works with on the 3DConnexion site, but I don't know if it also works with 2D software, such as Photoshop and such. You would have to investigate to be sure.

That said, it's about $100 here in the US, which is expensive for a mouse, but there is a wireless version, if that's what you'd prefer. A search for buying online had a place in Australia called LeapAustralia, where it's about $170, again a lot of money for a mouse.

I don't know of any other brands, so there may be others out there much less expensive.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thanks guys, it will be a while before do any thing but as I am limited on desk space and have old injury's to wrist and shoulder that make extended use of a mouse painfull I want to see what my options are.
I may look a tablet too down the track for some of the photoshop stuff as mouse painting is an exercise in frustration lol

Miss B

CV-BEE
Chronic CTS is why I've been using a Wacom Tablet, in one format or another, for decades. I have a small, fits in the palm of my hand, wireless mouse for those times when I have my laptop out of the house, but that's only because I usually don't have room for the tablet, and that's so infrequently I just put up with it for the day.

I've used a Kensington Trackball since always. Never could see the sense of a mouse. Scraping the fool thing all around to move a little cursor. It doesn't have any pressure sensitivity though. The ball is about 3cm in diameter, a nice size for my fingers.
For drawing a pressure sensitive tablet is no doubt the best tool. Used to have one but it got obsolete and I haven't gotten another since my drawing skills are very poor anyway.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, that looks nice tparo. Too bad it's no longer available. Logitech's a good brand, as all my wireless keyboards have been Logitech.

They don't have an updated model you could get?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
They have updated models but they aren't quite the same, so I'll have to hope to find that one suits me, the Mouse I have goes for a over a hundred £s second hand on ebay. Logitech are good products my mouse must be coming up to being 10 years old now and at the moment it's still working fine.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
That Logitech version that Flint mentioned is a good one! You can also try googling Logitech wireless or something similar, but depends on if you want the ball directly in the center or on the side where your thumb is. They usually sell some versions at Target here in the states for around $39.00, and Ebay has some good deals on mice and Tablets. Sometimes you can find Wacoms for around $50.00 - $75.00 or so on Ebay.

But if you have an injury they also make vertical mice that run around $100.00.
Vertical Mouse: Evoluent Optical VerticalMouse Optical

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
For my 3D art computer I use a Space Navigator, great in Poser and I can even get it working in Silo thanks to a small script but I don't think the script is available anymore. I also use a Wacom Tablet but my one is a bit big so I only use it for intricate work, the real plus of course is the pressure sensitive capability.

All of my other everyday use computers have Logitech trackballs that are great to use. Mine are years old and have never created a problem, the programmable buttons can be a real help. I have used a vertical mouse which I found very natural to hold so if I was in the market for one I would really be interested in the version NapalmArsenal has linked to.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
This all really great guys, thank you. Currently I have two desktops and one laptop all up and running, the lapy is net and day to day use, the desktops graphics, modeling and postwork so it will be a one at a time upgrade :)

Nod

Adventurous
I have a Logitech trackball mouse for my mega beast, but use a Wacom tablet for my lappy. The stylus is more sensitive than a mouse, so ideal for going from thin lines to thick, as it just means applying pressure. :D

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I got a trackball mouse and don't like it. To each is own. My mouse of choice is a Logitech Performance MX, I've done wore out two and am on my 3rd.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well I at least am happy to know that I'm not the last person a live who uses a trackball. I love trackballs, although I am still weird I guess in that I'm a person who likes the ones that you move the ball with your index or middle finger and not with your thumb (I guess I just don't feel my thumb is that precise. That being said I actually pretty much only use my trackball for gaming. My favorite thing is a multi touch trackpad, but I do use a wacom tablet for many 3d things.