• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tip Chit Chat....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very cool Satira...I'm currently playing in Poser and trying to work out how to render which I'm finding very frustrating.
Purerenderlights2.png

Edited to ask...how do I get the hair to look nicer in Poser? I know it's me not the hair...

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
It looks somewhat like what happened when I converted V4 hair to Dawn in Crossdresser. I got those same kinked bits. Very annoying.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Which hair is that Pen? Which version of Poser?

It probably is the hair, especially if it's a converted hair.

If you have Poser 10+, you could try enabling Subdivision on the hair.

If it's HR2 hair,

Select Dawn
Go to Figures (on the Menu)
Select Skinning Method
Check Poser Unimesh
Switch to Dawn's Properties tab and set Subdivision Levels Preview to 1 (Render will automatically change to 1).

Select the Hair
Switch to the Hair's Properties tab and set Subdivision Levels Preview to 1 (Render will automatically change to 1).
If it's CR2 Hair

Select the Hair
Go to Figures (on the Menu)
Select Skinning Method
Check Poser Unimesh
Switch to the Hair's Properties tab and set Subdivision Levels Preview to 1 (Render will automatically change to 1).​

See if that helps.

I found my post to you on the old forums regarding rendering settings :wink:

I use these settings in Poser Pro 2014 (and now Poser Pro 11) for draft renders:

Render Settings:
Cast Shadows - Checked
Subsurface Scattering - Checked

Raytracing - Checked
Raytracing bounces - 1

Irradiance caching - 50

Indirect Light - Unchecked

If using IDL (Sphere or dome needs to be in the scene for light to bounce off. Sphere or dome has Light emitter checked.
Indirect Light - Checked
Indirect Light Quality - 7

Pixel samples - 3
Min shading Rate - 3.00

Max bucket size - 32
Min displacement bounds 0

Smooth polygons - checked
User displacement maps - checked​

With Final renders, I increase Indirect Light Quality to 50, Pixel samples to 10, and reduce Min shading rate to 0.10
Once you have settings you like for rendering, save them as a Preset.
Click Save Preset (Third button to the right below the settings)
Enter a name for the Preset
Click OK​

Lighting:
For Lighting, I use 3 Infinite lights. One for specular, one positioned somewhere in front, and one positioned somewhere behind for a Rim light.

Ray Trace Shadows is enabled for the main light with Shadow Blur Radius set to 10 or 20. Higher results in softer shadows. Lower number results in sharper shadows.

No shadows on the other two lights.

With IDL enabled, I tend to set my main light in the 60-80% range. Specular 50% or higher. All depends on how my initial renders look. Rim 80% or higher. Again, depending on the initial results and what I'm going for.

I don't always find it necessary to set the Ambient Value on the Sphere or Dome to anything higher than 0. And I often leave the color black. But, if you want more IDL in the scene and rely less on your lights, increase the Ambient Value and pick a lighter Ambient Color. I find a little Ambient Value and Color go a long way.
I use the IDL Sphere from IDL Studio 2 (RDNA), but you can use any environmental sphere or dome.
I've used the Skyboxes from Easy Environments (DAZ) and Finks Sky 2 Sunset (Renderosity)

You can also use the free Environmental Sphere from BagginsBill

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh! It's Dawn's Mid-Length hair. You identified it in the image you posted in media.

Try loading it on default Dawn and see how it looks. It may be that it's having problems with Diva. I've forgotten how you've created Diva's shape/size.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Satira Capriccio just wanted you to know I TRIED to leave 5 stars along with my comment on your lovely Nouvelle Aube on Desk.... then I went and reported how the media/gallery comments/rating is not working for me, in the Beta Bees forum.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oooo fun! :)

oh wait, I'm on page 2... so I need to clarify I'm responding to Satira re: what's included in her set, and image in her response to me. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I created a media folder for my renders so I don't think I've done this right and if so it's a bit fidgety to get art displayed here....

"Brand new skin for Dawn or Bruna I should say............. Still need to redo all the makeup's and create the body bump, normals and all the rest. Quiet happy with the outcome so far."

@Richard, I don't know if you can link to an image in your gallery/album here in the forum, but first check to make sure you've got your album set up to be viewed by all members, rather than by you yourself which, IIRC, is the default setting.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
@Richard, I don't know if you can link to an image in your gallery/album here in the forum, but first check to make sure you've got your album set up to be viewed by all members, rather than by you yourself which, IIRC, is the default setting.
Ah, OK. I'll go check that out... Thanks B! :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Sorry, I gotta run. I looked and can't find how to change the prefs on the gallery so if someone could please tell me how I'll fix it when I get home. Also the Edit profile ... there is no direct link, which there should be, might want to add that to the list of quick links to add to the members drop down!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sorry, I gotta run. I looked and can't find how to change the prefs on the gallery so if someone could please tell me how I'll fix it when I get home. Also the Edit profile ... there is no direct link, which there should be, might want to add that to the list of quick links to add to the members drop down!
Hey Richard, if you go into your album, on the right is a box that says Album Permissions. At the bottom left of that box is a link that says Change Permissions. Click that and it will popup a dialog box where you can change the permissions from dropdown menus.

As far as editing your profile, just hover over RAMWolff at the top right of the forum, and select Preferences. That page will give you options you can change for your profile.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I will eventually...is what we post in the galleries likely to stay once the forum comes out of beta? At the moment I'm just trying things out. I posted the second one to see what was happening with thumbnails.

Lorraine

Those are lovely images Pen. Did the dress autofit right the way to the bottom? I always have problems with an awful kink in the bottoms of long dresses when autofitting them to Dawn so I've given up.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I know the problem you're referring to and it was no problems...no issues whatsoever. I normally have to take things into Zbrush for some minor fixing but I was quite happy with how this transformed. Also the dress has some nice sleeve movements it was very easy to work with. I hid the bottom because I didn't put any shoes on her...; )

Lorraine

That's really good, Pen, I wish all long dresses would play nice with Dawn. I can't fix the kinks so continue to use V4 when I want a long dress render but her facial expressions! so hard to put up with after Dawn.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's really good, Pen, I wish all long dresses would play nice with Dawn. I can't fix the kinks so continue to use V4 when I want a long dress render but her facial expressions! so hard to put up with after Dawn.
I used V4 for the first time in a long time as I was trying out something in Poser and I don't have many things for Dawn installed for Poser. I was trying out a new water colour shader that I picked up for .99cents. Not bad for less than a dollar...bugger the file is too large.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Hehe, and it was your request dress :)
I finished the next batch, just doing promos and have to send to testers. I put a wip of 4 out of the 5 in my gallery, not done a proper render of the latest one, but its a jumpsuit with a halter-neck, like this, but just the two dangley tie bits at the neck with no bow bit, plus no knot thing at the collar, not sure what that is?
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/558164947547262616/

Miss B

CV-BEE
I was trying out a new water colour shader that I picked up for .99cents. Not bad for less than a dollar.
Ohhhh, I just took a look at those, and I like. I also like her Watercolor: Depth Cue Background Shaders, also for 99¢. You can't go wrong for that price, and now that I have a Poser version I can use them with, I'm going to get them. ;)