• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Texturing Tutorial: Jindriska 3Dcoat

Remzi

Inspired
Hello everyone. I will post texturing tutorials here. Everyone can follow. I use 3Dcoat in combination with Photo Shop. No photo shop is required, another photo editting software can also be used in combination with 3Dcoat. Any other 3d projection software can also be used (think of Zbrush or BodyPaint3D). If there is only one possibility to send it to a 2D editting program.

I will indicate which texture resource I use so that everyone can follow everything and together we can achieve the same results. I also share all editing files (think of actions, brushes etc).

When this tutorial is ready, we will look for the next resource so that we can help each other with it.

We are currently waiting for Dawn 2.0.

We can make good use of the waiting time and already edit the photos before we start texturing.

I use the photo reference from Jindriska
(Human photo references and textures for artists - 3d.sk - ShowSet Photos)

This is a pretty good photo set.

When I look at the photos I see different things:

1. highlights
2. shadows

The best are photos that are as flat as possible. So we have to tackle the highlights and shadows.

I made videos how to do this.

How do I tackle the highlights?

How do I handle the shadows and colorcorrect the photos?

As you can see, a few highlights remain. I remove this in a special way:

You can see I haven't done the lips here yet. You now have the tools to remove these highlights too!

Don't forget to save all your files as psd, tif or png. These are files where your photo quality remains unlike jpg (artifacts).

Do you still find this too difficult, or are you just like me lazy or do you like this the least about the whole process? Then you can download the actions for Photo Shop here.

Dropbox - JindriskaActions.rar - Simplify your life

These actions remove most highlights and shadows. And there is also a color correction action.

Post your results and your questions, so that we can help each other as well as possible.

/ R

Remzi

Inspired
How to import your model from Daz to 3d Coat:

You might be thinking why i chose to use triangulate. The model will load faster next time when you load your saved file.

Also i checked the option: Import tiles as uv sets. That is only for models that use UDim UV maps. In this case, i imported genesis 8 female.

I decided to texture her first. As we don't know how long it takes to finish Dawn 2.

You can of course use a different model

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I decided to texture her first. As we don't know how long it takes to finish Dawn 2.
Dawn 2 will have the same UVs as the other Dawns if you did want to start working on new textures for her :D

Nice to see some tutorials being made available, thanks!

Remzi

Inspired
Dawn 2 will have the same UVs as the other Dawns if you did want to start working on new textures for her :D

Nice to see some tutorials being made available, thanks!

the same uvs? oh that is unfortunate, there are some problems with that UV, but still good to know

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think she will have her own as well but they are making it so that you can use the old one too.

Remzi

Inspired
Okay folks,

I started the first part of texturing Dawn. I changed some things a bit. I think this is a faster way to texture Dawn.

I decided to texture a part of hear now too. I did this because the ear fitted almost immediately on the one of Dawn's. This also means the video is a lot longer.

Happy texturing!

Remzi

Inspired
Okay, i uploaded a new video. This time i am texturing the inner ear. Dawn has difficult ear uv's. The video is in realtime. And i tried to make the ear easy for you. There are lot's of ways to texture an ear. I think this is the easies on the moment for this set and model.

xmasrose

Eager
Thank you very much for sharing your process! Very informative.
What happened to the videos with 3D coat? OK I found them on your channel.

Remzi

Inspired
here is another one, in this one i am focussing on the 3/4th view of the face

I also got better screen recording software. This one is supposed to be recorded in HD view.