• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Texturing Harry

WhiteHorses

Inspired
I have admired the beautiful horses that people have created using the model of Harry. I am a software developer, not a designer, so I have no idea how people create different coat colors. I own a pinto, a palomino and a silver dapple, and was wondering if I could use photos of my horses and put them on Harry. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where I could learn how to use photos to create textures for Harry. I have GIMP and Daz Studio and could get other software that I would need. Thank you!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hey there. Good to see you here WhiteHorses. Yes you most certainly can use your own photo reference to create your own map work. The Queen of all horse maps and many other maps is Laurie Prindle. She publishes under the artist name CWRW here at HiveWire. You might consider private messaging her here, and gain an insight or 2 from her many years of skill, talent and refinement.

Or... there or many other highly skilled individuals here in the forums that can also lend a helping hand. I create the UV layout for the Horse that you'd be working from, but from then on, I can only share those things that I believe are good practices for creating maps, as I haven't created texture maps of any quality for many years now.

I would believe there are several online tutorials that some here could point you to to aid in your creation.

Good luck.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
CWRW is excellent at horse textures.
The manes and tail sets she does to go with them are really gorgeous.

My work pales in comparison to hers for sure. :)