• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

So, something's happening..

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I had completely wiped things about a year or so ago and only kept non-daz zip files in storage (to avoid having to re-download those by hand). You never really know how much garbage you've bought until you come back to things after a year+. Being a lot more selective in my installs and any future purchases this time around. No more buying small things or sets that I can attempt to create myself these days.

upload_2019-4-11_19-0-58.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Vask, long time no see. :D

I know what you mean, though I never installed things as soon as I bought them, but when I get a new laptop later this year (hopefully), there's a lot in my DS 3A, DS 4.0P and P9 Runtimes I'm not going to reinstall, mainly because I haven't used them in a very long time, so why use up space I can use elsewhere.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Exactly. A lot of stuff I have is much older too and not a very good example of the artist's current abilities. Some stuff can be revamped with a bit of sub-d and new shaders, but quite a bit just aren't even worth the hassle. Plus, I'm completely ignoring Poser this time and not even installing it or any of my poser-only items.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't have much in my DS 3A Runtime that I can't use in Poser. Only a few items made especially for use in DS, and I don't use those much. I stopped with the original Genesis 1, so don't have any of the newer items, and the main reason I never bothered updating past DS 4.0P.

I just don't think I'll ever use the older Vicky and Mike items, though I still use V4 on occasion, but V3, no, so all that won't be reinstalled. The older props and architectural items, like Stonemason and Jack Tomalin goodies, yes, because those I can still use. They don't go out of date. ;)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
When I first started, I really didn't know what I was doing. Daz had just released their apps for free right around the time Genesis was released, iirc. I think I was buying V3 items not knowing any better. lol Eventually I grabbed V3 on a deep discount just so I could try the stuff I did have. Yea, that didn't last long. Although I did get into A3 items for a bit, namely Xinxin and that Mascot Menagerie fursuit collection. I did end up buying deeply into V4 after a while from frustration. I decided to start using the actual figure than try to convert everything. I'm not sure if I'll re-install V4 herself or not this time as I don't intend on creating for her, and there seem to be a lot better conversion tools out now, but we'll see.

Hornet3d

Wise
When I first started, I really didn't know what I was doing. Daz had just released their apps for free right around the time Genesis was released, iirc. I think I was buying V3 items not knowing any better. lol Eventually I grabbed V3 on a deep discount just so I could try the stuff I did have. Yea, that didn't last long. Although I did get into A3 items for a bit, namely Xinxin and that Mascot Menagerie fursuit collection. I did end up buying deeply into V4 after a while from frustration. I decided to start using the actual figure than try to convert everything. I'm not sure if I'll re-install V4 herself or not this time as I don't intend on creating for her, and there seem to be a lot better conversion tools out now, but we'll see.

I think most of us started like that, I know I did not have the first clue when I started. I think I purchased a 3d magazine as it looked interesting and it either had a version of DS on a cd with the mag or there was information of where to go to download it. I played with it for ages before I even did a render, mainly because I did not know how to render. I found it frustrating as all I got was a black rectangle now matter what I did, I played with lights for ages with the same result. I abandoned trying to learn but came back to it months later. Of course when I discovered having a wall between your scene and the camera was alright in preview but a disaster at render time and got proper render I was hooked.

Hornet3d

Wise
Exactly. A lot of stuff I have is much older too and not a very good example of the artist's current abilities. Some stuff can be revamped with a bit of sub-d and new shaders, but quite a bit just aren't even worth the hassle. Plus, I'm completely ignoring Poser this time and not even installing it or any of my poser-only items.

I have done much the same thing but the opposite way around in that I only install Poser content and ignore D/S. I even strip out the read me and other non essential stuff from my runtimes but the do keep a copy off my main machine. I also have an archive runtime for all the really old stuff which is stored on a old PC used for 3d work in the past. Some on the old stuff still exists in the working runtime even though I have not used V4 for some time. Many V4 poses will work Dawn even if a minor tweaks are required. Smart props such as weapons and jewellery also work although again with some adjustment.

Old scenes, for the most part are not in my working runtime as the quality and materials have improved so much they look dated. That said I have reverted to the archive runtime on occasions as some props can be used for backgrounds or buildings in the distance. To make this possible without clogging up my working runtime I use a program called Multiplicity which allows be to access secondary computers from one master This give me access to the archive runtime without it clogging up my main machine.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
When I wiped Daz/Poser from my system, I got rid of everything I had except for the stuff I had purchased that isn't available through Daz's download manager. I did hang on to my zip file of the entire old weekly freebie archive, though. With MissB's help, I also have screenshots to go with them all so I know what they are. I also have any projects/renders I did.

I don't have multiple pcs (yet), but if the Multiplicity you're speaking of is the one by Stardock, that looks damn handy.

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
I don't understand why everyone's coming down on V3 and M3. When I did my graphic novel/fan fiction "Nova Trek". they were my go-to figures and I didn't have any trouble with them. I liked them better than the Poser figures at the time- still do. Can't afford that new Poser girl right now.

Hornet3d

Wise
When I wiped Daz/Poser from my system, I got rid of everything I had except for the stuff I had purchased that isn't available through Daz's download manager. I did hang on to my zip file of the entire old weekly freebie archive, though. With MissB's help, I also have screenshots to go with them all so I know what they are. I also have any projects/renders I did.

I don't have multiple pcs (yet), but if the Multiplicity you're speaking of is the one by Stardock, that looks damn handy.

It is the one from Stardock and I do find it handy. The ability to cut on one PC and paste to another is useful for the odd document that doesn't exist on a network drive. Controlling multiple PCs with one keyboard and monitor without having to have another box of tricks and loads of cables is my main reason for buying it.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
@mdbruffy I'm not knocking them, but I'm not sure why I'd need to fully invest 100% in them when Genesis/V4 was what was being used and supported at the time. Right now I only have Genesis3 and 8 installed while using converters for some older V4 characters and clothing.

@LisaB Heya lady!

@Hornet3d I only have the one PC and I've still got a rats nest of cables going on. o_O Although I also have a tv, playstation 4, and a small cable tv box in the same area, so there's that. lol

mdbruffy

Enthusiast
Vaskania-
I have V4 and M4 in my Runtime, too, although I don't have the depth of outfits for them. I tried Genesis when Daz first brought it out and I couldn't get it to work all that great in Poser so I never bothered with it.