• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Smart props in Poser Pro- help please?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I used to be able to create smart props. I cannot remember which version of Poser this was in. The procedure was to parent the prop to wherever, then save it to the prop folder, and a query box would come up asking if I wanted to save it as a smart prop.

I no longer get that box come up when saving a parented prop. However, already-existing smart props still seem to work. I tried the manual edit method of making a smart prop, but couldn't get it working, I don't know if it's because I did it wrong or because of the same reason I don't get the 'save as smart prop' option.

My Poser broken? Or something else?

Poser 11 Pro 64-bit running on Windows 10, if relevant.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It still works for me just fine. I am, however, still using PP11 (SR6) because of so many reported problems with other SRs.

However, you must save the prop parented and not select a subset. Just have the prop selected after you have parented it and save. You will get the Smart Prop dialog.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Oooooooooooo!

:balloon03:Thank you! :balloon03:
You are a star! (Can we have a star smilie too please?)

I'd stopped selecting and saving without selecting a subset because then it wouldn't save anything- I'd have a prop file with a name but nothing in it. Now it seems to have gone back to saving the selected prop properly (ick, English language, not enough phonemes), and, yep, there's the Smart Prop dialog! I have re-installed since it stopped saving without selecting a subset, so maybe I fixed the real problem without realising it but had got into a habit as a result of it.

This means... duh duh duh... basic horseshoes should be ready soon, along with a cute onesie for Diva, both of which were being held up by smart propping issues.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Haha how many times I worked hard on a material, and then had a LIGHT selected when saving it to the library? Boy, was I surprised when I wanted to load the material back , and got a light shader instead?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Boy, was I surprised when I wanted to load the material back , and got a light shader instead?

D'oh!

Or those times when I have just too many windows open, go to close what I think is something I don't need from the heap of tabs and ignore the "Do you want to save your changes?" warning... ><

ockham

What I've been doing lately: Get a CR2 made from hierarchy file. Bring it in from New Figures, spend a half hour adjusting all the little joints, apply a set of materials from a similar item, fiddle with the materials, then save it. Done! Close Poser.

ACK! I saved it as a MATERIAL, not as a CR2.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh, the worst one is rig a long skirt, test the bends, zero the figure.........then instead of saving the skirt to the library, you save the figure named Skirt.

Hours of rigging, just GONE!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh, I have done PLENTY of that, saving the figure thinking it was the clothing. Sound like I never learn! >___<

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
That's the sort of reason I tend to save my work-in-progress as full scenes; except then I do something that crashes the program and the scene file I had open is no longer usable because the crash corrupted it.

We need a Commisery Corner or something. With misery and commiseration cookies