• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

ShareCG on the fritz?

Semicharm

Eager
Anyone else having problems downloading things from ShareCG? Every time I try to download anything, it just throws lots of error and gibberish. I tried reporting the problem, but their contact page threw even more errors when I sent them a message. Hopefully, it went through.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I just tried downloading something I already have, and all I got was a page of code, that obviously wasn't working.

I wonder if it has anything to do with their "new" Global Google Search engine, which I've only noticed this past few weeks. Before it was only a local search engine.

Semicharm

Eager
Yes, I just tried downloading something I already have, and all I got was a page of code, that obviously wasn't working.

I wonder if it has anything to do with their "new" Global Google Search engine, which I've only noticed this past few weeks. Before it was only a local search engine.
The first line of the error message says a function was "deprecated", which likely means they updated a system without updating the code running on it. Given that this happened on a Saturday and it hasn't been fixed yet, someone pushed out that update and went home for the weekend without bothering to test it. :/

DanaTA

Distinguished
The first line of the error message says a function was "deprecated", which likely means they updated a system without updating the code running on it. Given that this happened on a Saturday and it hasn't been fixed yet, someone pushed out that update and went home for the weekend without bothering to test it. :/

Too bad that still happens. When I was working on public facing interfaces, we never put anything new out on a Friday. For this very reason. Nobody wanted to be called in to work on Saturday.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
EXACTLY, and as Dana mentioned, who wants to be called into work over the weekend to fix it.

Semicharm

Eager
Too bad that still happens. When I was working on public facing interfaces, we never put anything new out on a Friday. For this very reason. Nobody wanted to be called in to work on Saturday.

Dana

Yep, and always test on a non-public server before going live to catch those kinds of snafus.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yep, and always test on a non-public server before going live to catch those kinds of snafus.

I agree in theory. However, I have no private server to test modifications to my website's code. That is usually not an issue. Once in a while, it throws and error that I see immediately what caused it an fix it right away. What kills me is when there is a page that works for a year or more, then suddenly it's throwing errors, and there's no reason for it, because the page was no modified in any way. I've facing that right now on one of my pages. Fortunately, it's not a public facing page. Unfortunately, it is a page that vendors must use. It's driving me crazy. For over a year, 2+2=4. Suddenly, 2+2=null. that's not right!

Dana

Semicharm

Eager
I agree in theory. However, I have no private server to test modifications to my website's code. That is usually not an issue. Once in a while, it throws and error that I see immediately what caused it an fix it right away. What kills me is when there is a page that works for a year or more, then suddenly it's throwing errors, and there's no reason for it, because the page was no modified in any way. I've facing that right now on one of my pages. Fortunately, it's not a public facing page. Unfortunately, it is a page that vendors must use. It's driving me crazy. For over a year, 2+2=4. Suddenly, 2+2=null. that's not right!

Dana
Assuming there's no data corruption, it's possible that a server or framework update broke something on the page. It looks like something similar happened on ShareCG, which is why it was throwing an error over a depreciated function call. An underlying software change can make the code outdated even though it wasn't changed. That's why it's not a good idea to do updates on the public site without testing them privately first. If the vendors are not part of your organization, then it's still technically a "public" page, even if it's only available to a particular subset. There generally are ways to make non-public copies or instances when testing updates. For larger sites, that may require a separate server.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My site is on shared hosting. I couldn't afford a dedicated server, those are expensive. And since I have an SSL certificate, I can't duplicate that on my local hard drive. The error is on a line of code that is accessing a control, a checkbox, and assigning it to a variable that I can use to cause something to happen when it changes value. But no change has happened yet. It's just initializing the control and variable. You never get to even see the page, it throws the error right away. And the data can't be corrupted, because there is no data to be corrupted. It is a page where a new product is set up. So, no data as yet, until the form is filled and submitted. It really drives me crazy when something like this happens. A wild goose would be much easier to capture! Not that I'd want to. ;)

Dana

Semicharm

Eager
My site is on shared hosting. I couldn't afford a dedicated server, those are expensive. And since I have an SSL certificate, I can't duplicate that on my local hard drive. The error is on a line of code that is accessing a control, a checkbox, and assigning it to a variable that I can use to cause something to happen when it changes value. But no change has happened yet. It's just initializing the control and variable. You never get to even see the page, it throws the error right away. And the data can't be corrupted, because there is no data to be corrupted. It is a page where a new product is set up. So, no data as yet, until the form is filled and submitted. It really drives me crazy when something like this happens. A wild goose would be much easier to capture! Not that I'd want to. ;)

Dana

That's the downside to shared hosting, they rollout updates whenever and you may never know unless something breaks. Then you have "fix" what wasn't broken without any idea what they did that broke it. LOL

DanaTA

Distinguished
Not really so funny. I've told them that I think they should notify their customers when a maintenance update is going to happen. Either the customer service reps don't relay the message, or they just don't want to do that. :unsure:

Dana

Semicharm

Eager
Not really so funny. I've told them that I think they should notify their customers when a maintenance update is going to happen. Either the customer service reps don't relay the message, or they just don't want to do that. :unsure:

Dana
Yeah, that's not cool. Sometimes your only choices are to laugh or cry--try to laugh anyway.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Cry. This is going to cost me if I can't get any new items in the store. Frustration makes me walk away from it. But I can't do that.

Dana

mdbruffy

Enthusiast

Dana
Sounds like a certain program I could name. ( Poser 11).