• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

"?"s about EZSkin 2 & 3

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
sooo is EZSkin THREE just for Poser ELEVEN?? The 3 is to tell us it's for this version of Poser?

and if so, did EZSkin2 EVER support Dusk?

Snarly had said he'd work up a tutorial for HOW to set up EZSkin2 for accepting Dusk... (feels so stupid, it's supposed to be easy, no pun intended) .... but I never saw it...

Has ANYONE got it to working for Dusk?

FYI... I am using Poser Pro 2014 and have NO desire to upgrade to 11.. I do NOT like "superfly renders" (my own personal visual preference, sorry).

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
yes EZSkin 3 is specifically to convert to P 11 Superfly shaders.

I don't know about EZSkin 2 having a Dusk preset- but I just converted Rodrigo to Superfly using EZSkin 3 and by using Dawn/the Dawn preset. Basically I loaded Dawn, then applied my Rodrigo MAT to her since they sue the same material zones and then had EZSkin3 do the conversion. I then saved that MAT and applied to Dusk. Piece of cake! (I did do a little tweaking and used my older eye MATs for him instead.) See Rodrigo in Superfly | HiveWire 3D Community

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
ohhh ho! so I might be able to do that as a work around with EZSkin 2... cool idea! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No EZSkin 2 doesn't support Dusk. I just loaded him up, and it says he's "unsupported". Too bad, so hopefully Snarly will get us a Dusk definition to use in short order. :)

I also like that you can swap things out Laurie, and you certainly did a good job with Rodrigo. ;)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Miss B! I think he is looking preettttty fine in Superfly:)

bagginsbill

Inspired
Uhhhh - EZSkin (2 and 3) allows you to select each material on an unsupported figure and teach it what is skin, what is iris, what is fingernail, etc. Then you save that. Then you "support" Dusk.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, thanks for stopping in BB and clarifing that. We're still new to using either EZSkin version, so didn't know it could be that easy.

Last edited:

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ditto! I am very much still learning it- only started messing with it on Friday.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Uhhhh - EZSkin (2 and 3) allows you to select each material on an unsupported figure and teach it what is skin, what is iris, what is fingernail, etc. Then you save that. Then you "support" Dusk.

hmm so once I teach it on EACH material zone for Dusk, it will be able to do that for any dusk character I covert from M4... I MAY try Laurie's suggestion first... seems like that would be a 'one step' method... I've JUST learned how to save the whole material "mat" in my poser... gosh, lots to learn, but I'm trying!!

I honestly want to create some original characters from the MR I've bought, for both Dawn and Dusk... this is why I'm trying ever harder to learn!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OK... @bagginsbill ... I think I'm on the right track... one would NOT want to change the HUE (of HSV)... But pushing the SATURATION up seems to keep more of the original color (this character has WHITE as it's base Diffuse color, that's important!) I just cranked up the SSS.... see my settings here:

MyEZSkinSettings.jpg

This is my first few tries (NOTE! I COPIED THE MATERIAL SET UP FOR THE ORIGINAL SHINY LIP COLOR BACK, AFTER USING EZSkin!... ALSO NOTE! I lowered the lip color on it's map so it covered the entire lower lip, it's my own preference.)

To be clear, the middle image had HSV all set to 90%.... (being I did not know what I was doing) but got my brain to FOCUS and realized I should NOT touch the HUE... and that I needed to SATURATE the color to retain it... at least I think so, for this lady 'of color'... not sure how it will go with a fair skin.

I also am not sure what V (value) will do... but I've saved an original pz3 with Alisha, and can experiment further when I have time. (Fabi's Mild Boreal Lights with NO AO - the DEVELOPE light used!)
AlishaEZskin.jpg

frogimus

Adventurous
Hue is basically the position on the color wheel - as you change hue, you move around the wheel.

Saturation - easier to explain that desaturation is greyscale. When you desaturate, you wash the color out with grey - so upping saturation progressively removes the grey and strengthens the color.

Value is brightness - adding white or black to a color to tint or shade it. For example, moving a red to pink or (in the other direction) maroon.

A decent graphical representation of this is here Hue, Saturation & Value—The Characteristics of Color

bagginsbill

Inspired
Value is brightness, but not adding white or black. It's strictly multiplication with a constant, preserving the ratios of the three RGB component colors (if possible, within the gamut).

For example, RGB 50, 100, 150 has the same hue and same saturation as RGB 5, 10, 15, but the Value is much higher.

There are numerous versions of brightness, with an unending list of names and each with a different mathematical rule: brightness, lightness, luminance, luma, value, etc. (Google for HSV vs. HSL vs. HSB). Anyway use the Value dial to make the skin reflect more or less light, exactly as if the light source was going lighter or darker, but otherwise no change in the position on the color wheel.

bagginsbill

Inspired
If you really want to know what is Value, it is the value (pun intended) of whichever of R, G, and B is the highest.

In RGB 50, 100, 150, the Value is 150.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
YEEEK!! don't talk math to a dyslexic... BUT if V is "brightness" or some variation thereof.... I would (personally) leave it alone, so as not to mess up the sparkly shine I'm trying to get with SSS.... I'm very happy with just learning to get closer to the original skin color... I'm re-doing my entire art piece... here's hoping! :)

frogimus

Adventurous
Value is brightness, but not adding white or black. It's strictly multiplication with a constant, preserving the ratios of the three RGB component colors (if possible, within the gamut).

For example, RGB 50, 100, 150 has the same hue and same saturation as RGB 5, 10, 15, but the Value is much higher.

There are numerous versions of brightness, with an unending list of names and each with a different mathematical rule: brightness, lightness, luminance, luma, value, etc. (Google for HSV vs. HSL vs. HSB). Anyway use the Value dial to make the skin reflect more or less light, exactly as if the light source was going lighter or darker, but otherwise no change in the position on the color wheel.

Eh. As a painter, I tend to mix my digital and analog explanations. Sorry.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My brain just freezes at anything to do with numbers, I have to slap my head a few times to get it working again. :roflmao:
Seriously there is some form of block that happens when math is mentioned.

EZSkin is fun to use and I also like to add settings from bagginsbill's ElderSkin material set-up.
By adjusting the spots and cellular sizes I can get some really nice looking skins. :)
He has a RDNA forum topic where he shows this.
And thank you, bb, for that setup. :D

bagginsbill

Inspired
I did a little demo for you using Digital Emily. The first head (left) is the original with no adjustment. Then the four others are using HSV to adjust the color map. Each with saturation and value as percentags are
#1 Original
#2 sat 70, val 110
#3 sat 120, val 85
#4 sat 110, val 50
#5 sat 130, val 20

DE Using HSV.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Uh, might that be superfly? (kinda muddy's the waters, if it is, to ME Superfly always looks so "grainy", and is just NOT my personal preference, sorry!!)

Here is a before and after and using the settings above, NO change in lighting...I was working on changing her lipstick color in the after on the RIGHT... and I had taken off her stockings as her new EZSkin legs looked SO good! To me, she is much smoother, and shinnier... reflects light much nicer, but I feel I kept the 'tone' of her skin! :) and yes I changed her bra color! LOL! She's a tad softer, I have not done my normal unsharp mask yet (on final skin image on the RIGHT)...
AlishaEZskin2.jpg