• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rebranding. Pros and Cons

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
This is something I've been thinking of for a while. Just wanted to start a discussion about it.

How do you feel about re-branding, or more specifically, changing your CA or vendor name/identity?

I started using Daz Studio because I was interested in making my own comic books. Any comics I created I used the brand "3W Comics" (my initials are "WWW", and it's on the worldwide web, www). So when I started actually making 3d items and releasing them as freebies, I just kept the same name, since it fit under that same umbrella, as it were.

But then I got to thinking, does that name really represent what I'm doing? So I thought about changing it to something like "3W3D Art." (My current avatar even reflects that.) But then there is all the work of the transition, and confusion for people who know me as 3W Comics. Not that I am especially well known, but maybe it would be good to change before I get much further into the content creation world.

I thought about vendors like Aeon Soul, whom I understand has gone through 4 or 5 name changes, none of which seems much better or worse to me than the others. So maybe I should just stick with 3w Comics and do my best to make good products, and the name will not matter that much. The products will speak for themselves.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I remember all those "name changes" AS went through, as I used to visit their old site years ago. Those name changes didn't seem to hurt them at all, since they were all still the same two initials everyone was familiar with. I don't think changing yours to 3W3D Art will make that much difference. My only suggestion would be to make it 3w3D Art, as your current CA name is 3wComics. That will help folks recognize it as you.

On a similar note, a popular vendor at Renderosity just changed her/his (not exactly sure which) vendor name, and I received an email from her/him mentioning the name change. That might be something to consider, as I'm sure you could work up a list of your customers at this, and any other store you sell at. That way they'll know who to look for when they return for more goodies.

Just my 2¢ FWIW.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
I don't believe changing your brand name this early in your CC career is a bad idea if you want to differentiate between your comic ventures, and your 3D content creation ventures.

I agree with MissB regarding the name, though, for easier recognition. However, I would suggest one thing further which would be closer to your original identity, but would differentiate between your comics moniker, and your CC moniker; 3w3dCreations, or just 3wCreations.

The reason I would suggest for dropping the 'Art', and using 'Creations' in it's stead is because you are not selling art, but content creations for others to create art. Plus, for brand recognition, it just flows closer to your 3wComics moniker, and that might help some with the previous recognition.

It's your brand, so of course, proceed how you see fit. Just my two pence input...

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Count me in on the liking of the suggestion of dropping Art and using Creations.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I obviously have an interest in name branding. While I frequently use my real name probably as much as my 15 year old brand, Songbird ReMix. I think rebranding would be a mistake for me. I count on that name recognition to draw former customers who may have lost contact with my product line when I changed publishers. My newer brand, Nature's Wonders, would be less an issue with it being in existence only for a couple years.

If you make a change I do something close to what you have already.