• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Realistic Timber-built Boats

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Many of my images feature the sea for one simple reason......I love the sea. I would love them to feature boats more frequently. Small, wooden rowing and sailboats that is, which is where it all falls apart. There aren't any! There are a few out there and all sadly featuring planking which bears no resemblance to reality. Occasionally slightly curved but more often running straight from stem to stern with no regard to how (or why) a clinker-built boat is built the way it is! It strikes me as ludicrous that someone should take the trouble to model a boat (usually) correctly then throw on a texture almost as an afterthought as if it isn't worth the bother. Theres a vast amount of reference material out there on the 'net, largely ignored, it appears. So thats my wish! A boat (or boats) which looks like it was built by a craftsman for the purpose for which it was intended. One which matches the realism now being achieved regularly in 3D modelling. Please!

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I'll have two models a-building soon, and possibly a third. One will be an update of the little elven skiff, the second is an elven grey ship, and I may make a Numenorean white-winged ship.

Could you maybe post example pics and/or elaborate on those details? For example, how should deck planking be aligned? Hull strakes?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
That's good to hear seachnasaigh! Basically hull strakes on a clinker (or lapstrake) boat follow the line of the gunwale. Traditionally built upside-down with the strakes applied in pairs to avoid twisting and planed towards bow and stern from the mid stringer to ensure each stringer (numbers vary on the hull form) runs the full length of the craft. Decking, or bilge boards always run straight fore and aft. On larger, decked boats there is usually a plank or planking following the line of the gunwale in a narrow band with the rest of the decking set straight within this.
I think that with your particular interests the Scandanavian Faering would be most suitable. Indeed, These are the boats Tolkien had in mind when he described the Elven river and sea craft in LOTR! It's a beautiful design which has been around since the Viking longship. Wider strakes than normal (easier to model!), lightweight and very, very seaworthy. That is something I can personally vouch for because I used to own a 16 foot version which handled the short, sharp seas in Morecambe Bay with ease when other small craft went running for cover! Googling Faering will produce plenty of images and plans, e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=0An4V9fyNITf8ge7u42ABA. Looking forward to your results. Regards.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
A well modelled longship would be very useful.

There's an excellent Longship by Mortem Vetus out there Scatha. Formally from RDNA and, hopefully, still available given the way Daz have blitzed the Poser models of late! I'll go looking when I have the chance! Regards!

scatha

Adventurous
it's on my rather extensive list of things to get, but since i'm limited to a disability benefit these days it rather hampers my ability to make much purchases. :(