• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Questions and thoughts of Alphina selling at HiveWire

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Hmmm was thinking can I sell (or “sell” for free) at the hive wire store a 3D figure meant to be used for 3D printing projects? Basically can I have a custom license to my content I put in this store to let people print those items for commercial or gifting purposes?
Here are my thoughts of what I want to do and I want to see if it is possible and or legit.
I think the Make Human figure is open source, right? I want to use that figure as starting point for my figure line. I want to create several base figures such as male adult, female adult, androgynous adult, androgynous child and hopefully androgynous baby if I am so daringly brave. I am planning on giving away the free Androgynous adult rigged for both Daz Studio and Poser at HiveWire as that is what comes with the make human program. The other base figures I am thinking of giving away for an intro period only, but after that putting them on sale.
The reason I think behind the three adult base figures is a multiple step process. I can do the androgynous figure first to gain momentum but the rest will take more work on my behalf. The androgynous adult just requires learning how to rig in both platforms, Daz Studio and Poser. I might do a non weight mapped version also which means three rigging structures.
I am thinking of doing a Maya or 3DS Max rigging as long as I have access to it. However that will not be a commercial venture at first. The Maya/ Max rigging of each figure will be probably open domain but still trying to figure out the details. As of now my license for Maya/Max does not allow commercial usage which is why I am proceeding this way.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Can someone fix the title of this thread, please! My phone posted this before I was finished typing. My tablet is broken so I am trying to use my phone to type this.
I think I meant to type “Questions and thoughts of Alphina selling at HiveWire”. Not “Questions and thoughts of -‘selling at HiveWirex”.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I had to look up androgynous to see what it means. I am guessing your figure will have morphs for male and female private parts, like Genesis?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Another thing occurred to me, like have you thought this through fully? Making a whole new character is no easy and fast project. Modeling is easy, but for characters that people will want to animate, the topology has to be perfect. By perfect I mean 100% perfect with edge loops in all the right places. Then the dark and secretive art of rigging and prepping for Poser and DAZ, that stuff takes ages to learn even just for hobby use. Making your maps and other stuff work in DAZ and Poser (backwards compatible too) is another challenge.
I'm not trying to put you off and I wish you well with the project.

Last edited:
Andru.jpg

Andru is Androgynous

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hmmm was thinking can I sell (or “sell” for free) at the hive wire store a 3D figure meant to be used for 3D printing projects? Basically can I have a custom license to my content I put in this store to let people print those items for commercial or gifting purposes?

No - you can not have a custom license - all products are subject to the HiveWire EULA