• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Questions about DS to Poser conversion

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Ok, I have been working on my outfit for Dawn. I rigged everything in DS because I am mainly a DS user, so its easier for me. I have only ever made props before, and generally the cr2 export to poser goes smoothly, maybe with just a few minor problems easily remedied. With clothing, however, I am getting quite a bit of pokethrough after the conversion. I realized that I was just relying on smoothing and collision in studio, and had pokethrough in ds when I turned smoothing off. So I adjusted all the weight maps, even made some jcms, and exported again. Still had pokethrough in poser, in some cases much worse. My testers are telling me to just adjust the weight maps in poser, which sounds very reasonable, but I only have basic poser 9, which to my knowledge has no weight mapping editing capability; I think I need a pro version for that.

Are there any pointers or tricks to fix this? A way to get a better export/conversion? Or am I just being naive trying to do this outside of poser? Any good deals on an old poser pro? ($20 is about within my budget right now )

Thanks for listening.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The biggest issue I see in these conversions is bulge maps. Does DS not have any bulge map settings at all? (Sorry, I know nothing about DS4).

But,yes, to answer your question, you need a Pro version to do weight map editing.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Is your clothing sub divided? If so, bring the resolution down to the base in DS to see if you have poke-through in the default pose. If you do, try doing a small push in your modeler to grow the clothing slightly, and use the replace geometry function in DS so you don't have to continue re-rigging the clothing. If it looks good in DS at base resolution, it should convert over to Poser with no issues. You can increase sub division in the pro versions of Poser 2014 and up to get the same results as in DS.

Hope that helps.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Yes, very helful. I will continue working on it in DS. At least I know it's not a lost cause, no need to despair.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
There are bulge maps in DS, but they seem to have very little effect when I change them.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Ok, well, I will keep working on this, but may be a little while until I have an update to the beta. Thanks for your replies.