• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

[Question] Getting an entire scene from Poser 11 Pro to Blender 2.80 Beta

Okay folks, I must admit I am a bit... overwhelmed.
I am trying (emphasis on the *trying*) to export entire scenes (multiple Figures, Conformers, parented Props etc.) I set up in Poser 11 Pro in a way so I can import them into Blender (2.8 Beta in my case) for setting up the materials and rendering.

But alas, regardless of what I try, be it Collada, OBJ or FBX, when I import the scenes in Blender, they appear more or less mangled, or props or conformers are who knows where but not on the figure they are supposed to be parented/conformed to.

It is to be expected that the materials (though all Poser Cycles mats) are not translated properly, but the meshes themselves and their position in the scenes should, no?

I presume I am missing something, or have the wrong expectations or whatever.
Sadly, most tutorials I have found in regards to Poser->Blender imports are 1) old and 2) meant for importing single figures for morph making and re-export to Poser.

Can anybody around give me a hint on what the correct way to export scenes actually is? Or have any other tips or links that may be helpful?

Thank you, smurfsters. :)

SW448

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
The settings I've posted here, while old, still work for me and always have. Have you tried them? If so, could you tell me exactly what goes wrong?

Oops! I forgot about the forum upgrade. It's in the old version, and lost the images of the settings. Give me a bit.

Last edited:

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Never had mangled OBJs. Split - yes. You need an import option to be checked to not import polygroups as objects, don't remember the exact name. But not mangled.
Not checked in 2.80.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Never had mangled OBJs. Split - yes. You need an import option to be checked to not import polygroups as objects, don't remember the exact name. But not mangled.
Not checked in 2.80.
Yes, I've only ever imported OBJs, and I haven't upgraded from 2.79b to 2.8 as yet, but in my version, as part of the left Tool panel, when you try to import there will be a button that will be selected by default called "Split". If you click the button next to it, "Keep Vert Order", then it will come in as one whole piece. I found that out years ago when I tried importing V4, and wound up with over 65 pieces listed in the Outliner. ~sheesh~

As far as importing a whole scene, I've never tried that, so have no idea how to do it. Hopefully kobaltkween will be able to find the settings images she had posted on the old forum.

So far, I have only tried importing via the FBX or Collada options, not OBJ. I was not aware that you could bake an entire scene into a single .obj. I'll try that next time I am at my work machine.

@Miss B
Thank you, though I have been around as a lurker practically from the start all those years ago. ^_^" In the olde days, I would have posted such a question on RuntimeDNA, but alas, that option does not exist anymore. ^_^"

@kobaltkween
The main problem is that conformed figures (clothing/Hair mostly) and parented props don't stay where they are supposed to be, but are scattered all over the scene.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
@Miss B
Thank you, though I have been around as a lurker practically from the start all those years ago. ^_^" In the olde days, I would have posted such a question on RuntimeDNA, but alas, that option does not exist anymore. ^_^"
Yes, after I posted the welcome, I checked, and saw you've been a member for a number of years. That said, however, it is the first time you've posted here, sooooo, a proper welcome is still in order. ;)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
OK, so I've tested. For a whole scene that you're going to render in Blender, not a figure you're going to morph or rig, export with these settings:
poserSceneExport.png

This will export the entire scene as one big object with groups for figures. Then import the OBJ using these settings:
poserSceneImport.png

After importing, with everything selected, I'd suggest scaling the scene up by 2.62180. Poser puts 1 unit at 2.621280m, and Blender puts 1 unit at 1m by default. Scaling objects to the correct scale at least sets you up for numbers for other systems working properly, like shading numbers (bump height, scattering distance, etc.), physics and collision, fluids, etc.

The best way to make sure that your materials get most or all of your maps is to make sure they're plugged into the basic PoserSurface inputs, even if you aren't using them. Diffuse maps into diffuse color, specular maps into specular color, etc. The materials become PhysicalSurface node based materials, and for regular matte surfaces, probably won't need to be touched.

None of this should have conforming clothes jumping around. I vaguely remember having that happen to me once or twice, but I can't remember how.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
So far, I have only tried importing via the FBX or Collada options, not OBJ. I was not aware that you could bake an entire scene into a single .obj. I'll try that next time I am at my work machine.

@Miss B

@kobaltkween
The main problem is that conformed figures (clothing/Hair mostly) and parented props don't stay where they are supposed to be, but are scattered all over the scene.
Collada and FBX seem to be for preserving rigging and transferring figures between software. So it might not preserve conforming or parenting. Just a thought.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Ooops, sorry, correction, the Blender node materials get translated into is the Principled BSDF. Sorry, mix and matching.

Alright. Took some time, but I can give a little update.
The importing as Wavefront OBJ does work so far, so it seems my mistake simply was to use the wrong format (Collada/FBX instead of OBJ).
Only downside is that I have to redo most materials one by one, but I guess that is something that cannot be helped. (I use mostly Poser Cycles/Superfly procedural shaders without any actual texture files used, and those don't get imported into Blender in any way. The basic texture based materials import, as kobaltkween wrote above, though.)

Anyways, I am happy that I now have the possibilty to render in Blender if I so chose.
Thank you to all who gave tips, input and hints here. :)