• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Prop or figure

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have made a very simple necklace for Dawn, a pendant on a cord.
What I am wondering is what would be the best way to set it up, static smart prop, (nice and easy), or boned figure, (not so easy).
Thought please :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Bone that necklace. Of course it's harder but adjustments are often needed for necklaces and like items.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@quietrob
you have a point lol I just have never rigged anything before

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've tried and failed to follow a tutorial. Apparently it was assumed that I would know about grouping. I didn't.

But now I'm surrounded by friends here at the hive. That means you are too!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Both figure and Prop are first saved as an OBJ. You're using Poser, Yes? Still, does that mean you have to break it? @Jeanne Harmon is right, of course. The pendant can be adjusted via a normal rotation of the xyz axis but it still has to stay attached to the cord. I'm thinking of the breasts for the cord and how you don't want it disappearing.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Yep. BUt I think when I exorted from modeling program I lumped the two parts together so if I want to have the cord as a figure and the pendent as a prop I'll need to split them in to two obj's not one :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
I don't know if Poser can split a solid OBJ even though an OBJ is really several parts originally. I know it can split two OBJ's saved as one item if that makes sense.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I can do it in the program I made it in, no biggy, just a resave in two parts rather than one. Makes it easier at the poser end

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Your answer really lies in the design of your product. If the necklace spans one group with minor crossover into a 2nd group, a prop is the best approach. If it groups to several groups, you are better off as a figure. If you think about it, it makes sense - the chest group twists very differently from the neck groups and rigging those disparities is not simple.

A prop can have morphs created for it, so necessary adjustments shouldn't be your defining factor.

On a personal suggestion, I would honestly tell you to start with something easier to rig - like a shirt - as your first attempt at conforming rigging. It's not easy to rig just a few polygons to behave properly as it spans multiple body parts.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Your answer really lies in the design of your product. If the necklace spans one group with minor crossover into a 2nd group, a prop is the best approach. If it groups to several groups, you are better off as a figure. If you think about it, it makes sense - the chest group twists very differently from the neck groups and rigging those disparities is not simple.

A prop can have morphs created for it, so necessary adjustments shouldn't be your defining factor.

On a personal suggestion, I would honestly tell you to start with something easier to rig - like a shirt - as your first attempt at conforming rigging. It's not easy to rig just a few polygons to behave properly as it spans multiple body parts.
I'll have to have a look but Iiirc it sits pretty close up on dawn's neck so maybe only really one group.
Making addjustment morphs might not be too hard to do.
Hehe I never seem to start with easy, I did try making a conforming top way back in poser 7 but never finished it.

In PP2014 there's the fitting room, which can do some real nice tricks.
If your version of Poser has the fitting room, maybe just try putting the necklace as a prop in the scene with Dawn and then go to the fitting room, fit the necklace to Dawn and use Auto-group.
See what happens.
The prop has to be made so it's in just the right place with it's origin at 0,0,0 I think, and Dawn zeroed too.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Morphing prop so you can use it on other figures. Always have preferred props with morphing capability over conforming accessories.
Like I prefer .hr2 hair figures over .Cr2 conforming hair.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Just speaking personally, I _hate_ conforming pendants and necklaces. In real life, necklaces don't move like skin. They never stretch, and they certainly never compress. The only pose I've ever made a conforming necklace look good in was pretty close to default. And 9 times out of 10, I'll end up parenting and posing, which would be _so_ much easier if the necklace had a base of the neck and a parented chest/pendant area rather than the other way around. And that doesn't even address the issue of conformers being figure specific, which is fine for DS but presumptuous or a thankless amount of work in Poser.

One of the most popular jewelry and accessory makers at DAZ make their necklaces so they fit all figures (at least that's how they advertised them last I checked). I'm guessing they're parented figures, but I haven't bought any to check.

eclark1894

Visionary
I tried to make a purse for Dawn. It did not go well as I am not adept to making morphs... at all. Still, I've learned a couple of new tricks since then that could possibly compensate for the lack of morphs. Maybe I'll revisit that one day.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Without seeing the necklace in question, it's difficult to make a judgement. A simple pearl necklace may barely go past the neckline but I've seen them long enough to rest on top of large breasts in which case you would like them to have SOME type of morph or control so they don't disappear into her cleavage. I can understand the hatred for conforming pendants and such. But jewelry really only needs a way to make sure it holds position (which conforming will make it do. Better than Parenting) and that it doesn't disappear in that aforementioned cleavage.