• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser <-> Blender (repost from previous forum)

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
This is a quick and dirty repost by request. I'll go through later and add images and more pertinent info. Big thanks to @kobaltkween who was helping me get the proper settings.

Note: If this is to be used for morph creation, just import the OBJ straight from Poser's Geometries folder, and skip straight to the Blender section.

Poser Export

1. Export OBJ from Poser. There should be a box that comes up to uncheck what you don't want to be included. Uncheck what you don't want in your OBJ. Body, GoalCenterofMass, and CenterofMass doesn't matter whether checked or unchecked.

2. Export options:
  • Uncheck Weld body part seams
  • Check As Morph Target ( no world transformations)
  • Check Include body part names in polygon groups
  • Check Use exact internal names except spaces
  • Uncheck remaining options

Blender Import

Uncheck Ngons, Lines, and Smooth Groups, select Keep Vert Order and check Polygroups.
Use -Z Forward and Y-Up. Ngons doesn't appear to be an option on the import dialogue in newer versions of Blender, so if you're on a newer version, don't worry if you can't find that box.

Blender Export

For Morphs:
  • Selection Only - Be sure you actually have your OBJ selected in Blender's scene.
  • Apply Modifiers - Shape Keys count as modifiers in this toggle. If this is for a morph, don't use any modifiers that change the vertex count, ie subdivision. Poser morph import will fail.
  • Polygroups
  • Keep Vertex Order
  • Z-Forward, Y-Up

For things where textures are concerned, also check:
  • Include UVs
  • Write Materials

Poser Importing - Morphs:
  • Partial body morphs - Choose body part the morph is for then use Object > Load Morph Target.
  • Full body morphs - Select the figure and use Figure > Load Full Body Morph.
Link to full archived thread: Poser <-> Blender import/export options. - HiveWire 3D

Last edited:

Robynsveil

Admirable
Good tips!

About the only things I'd add is that you can save your import into and export from Blender settings as presets. Also, Poser's native scale is teeny-tiny, which makes accurate work in Blender difficult. You might wish to scale your figure up by 10 after importing into Blender, do your work, then scale back down by 10 prior to export.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's an interesting tip Robyn. I usually just scroll all the way in until I can see what's what. :)

Robynsveil

Admirable
For rendering only, I generally don't bother scaling up. However, if there's any work to do on any of the models, I'll scale up to work on them, then scale back down so they fit the scene.