• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser (all Versions) Crashes Windows on Render

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
This just started earlier this week and I am unsure of the cause. It is affecting ALL of my installed versions of Poser, which include:
Poser 6, Poser 7, Poser Pro, Poser 2010 Pro, Poser 2012 Pro, Poser 2014 Pro.
So likely it is something that has become corrupted in the OS. I am hoping to narrow down possible causes that would affect all versions in this way.
The affected Machine is an Intel Core 2 Quad, running Windows XP 64 bit (yes it is an older system).
It was working fine for the past 2 years since converting from a render node to replace my dead workstation.
Now, when I load ANY scene or create a new scene and send it to render, at some point in the render the entire machine reboots (and does so several times failing to successfully return to windows unless powered off).

I have run Virus Scans and Rootkit Scans and the system is clean.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Have you also done a malware scan? I use Spybot Search & Destroy, and even though I haven't used it in a while, there's also Malwarebytes, which is good as well.

I can't think of what would cause all of your Poser versions to have the same problem, so it may be WinXP. It is an old system, but I would test for malware first before taking action to fix the OS, as that just might be the problem.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Yes, I tested for Malware, Virus, Rootkits, etc... I even used a clean boot USB updatable AV/AM toolset I have from my days at the computer repair shop.
I am fearing it is a hardware problem (Graphics chips failing or bad memory). First chance to do any art in months and of course something goes wrong. I can't afford this right now - If this workstation dies.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
If you think it's your video card, you can try opening up your box and literally cleaning it out with a dust blower. I used to have to do that once a year with my previous box.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
The Video is integrated on the Motherboard. I keep this one relatively clean, and clear dust out regularly. If it is a Graphics chip issue it means a bad motherboard - I hope that is not the case. I have mem-test running, wont know the results until tommorrow.

ShvrDavid

Motivated
If it worked fine for all that time then suddenly started rebooting on load, it is probably a power issue. You could have a power supply going out, or a capacitor on the motherboard has swollen and gone bad.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
It is a hardware issue. As of this morning I can not even get it to POST or get to bios. My workstations is dead.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Official word from repair shop - 1 bad stick of ram, and something is shorted on the main board. They believe the processor is still good, as is the PSU. Not sure how it happened. Unlikely to find a replacement board reasonably priced fore a Core 2 Quad, and a replacement stick of ram (assuming the new board uses the same type) is $75 itself... I really can't afford to repair it even at this time. The timing of this is just...well...perfect. I think I am done.
Thank you all for your input on possible causes and fixes.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Crucial does not have the size/type of ram I need. I also really hate their store interface. It fails completely for custom builds as it is a pain to navigate their motherboard brand and their compatibility notes are wrong.
I needed/had 2 of these
G. Skill 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
On a Intel Core 2 Quad Socket LGA775 Elite Core G31T-M7 Motherboard
Though since the motherboard is bad, it is moot. It is unlikely I will find a suitable motherboard that uses the same type of ram.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@ShvrDavid I appreciate the link, but a I can not justify almost $90 after shipping and tax for a 10 year old Motherboard, even New and unused, especially given my current financial situation. I'd have to think on it for a long while...it is cheaper than a new box...but...
I'm also curious the specs list it's maximum Ram as 4gb, when the 2 I have the manuals say up to 8gb with PC2 6400 DDR2s. It is the same model and looks identical.

ShvrDavid

Motivated
I was just curious to see if it was still available. I was sort of shocked that someone had it new in the box to tell you the truth.
The memory capacity may have changed with a bios update, or there are lots of different revisions to the board.

Might not hurt to go look at the pawn shops in your area and see what they have system wise.
You never know what you might find going that route. Or how much you can talk them down price wise.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
As for the causes, it is easy to assume that 3D rendering on such older machines can cause overheating, which shortens the lifespan of the components. 3D rendering is very taxing on the hardware, so it's not to be taken lightly. It's a conundrum, because slower machines will have to render for longer periods, so they tend to overheat and slowly degrade the components over time. I have already blown 2 video cards (GTX 275 and GTX 480), and an entire system - motherboard, power supply, memory and processor, all fried during Poser renders.

No matter what hardware you have, it's important to make sure your case has sufficient cooling to protect the components during extended rendering periods. I strongly recommend mobos with 4-pin sockets for coolers, which allow automatic and real-time speed control depending on the cooling demands of your components. 3-pin sockets can only spin the fans are a fixed speed, even when the hardware needs more airflow. Even if the mobo offers 4-pin sockets, it's important to buy 4-pin coolers, for most are 3-pins only, which will still spin at a fixed rate. Those will not take advantage of the 4-pin sockets. This also depends a lot on the case you use, if it offers sufficient air flow during renders.

The quality and power capacity of your power supply is also important. That's what keeps your system stable during 3D renders. The computer I blew was using a cheap Enermax PSU that shipped with the case, and it cost me the mobo, memory, processor and even the video card. It overheated, blew a cap, and took everything in the case with it. Since then, I never went cheap on the PSU anymore because that can cost you dearly.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I have a temporary fix. The owner of the workstations original twin has given me permission to convert it to use as a workstation (The two machines were purchased as identical bare bones machines to use as render nodes originally, myself and my partner in animation split the cost at the time). This is convenient as aside from HDs, 2nd network card, and DVD Burners they had identical Hardware so it was just a matter of moving the HDs and cards over. The downside is I lose a 4 core render node, and will need to take steps to make things equitable with the machines owner if it stays as my workstation.

The really odd part is that the other machine has more render hours on it, but is still on it's original PSU. I had already replaced the PSU on the one that became my workstation three times, twice while still a render node.

Hornet3d

Wise
As for the causes, it is easy to assume that 3D rendering on such older machines can cause overheating, which shortens the lifespan of the components. 3D rendering is very taxing on the hardware, so it's not to be taken lightly. It's a conundrum, because slower machines will have to render for longer periods, so they tend to overheat and slowly degrade the components over time. I have already blown 2 video cards (GTX 275 and GTX 480), and an entire system - motherboard, power supply, memory and processor, all fried during Poser renders.

No matter what hardware you have, it's important to make sure your case has sufficient cooling to protect the components during extended rendering periods. I strongly recommend mobos with 4-pin sockets for coolers, which allow automatic and real-time speed control depending on the cooling demands of your components. 3-pin sockets can only spin the fans are a fixed speed, even when the hardware needs more airflow. Even if the mobo offers 4-pin sockets, it's important to buy 4-pin coolers, for most are 3-pins only, which will still spin at a fixed rate. Those will not take advantage of the 4-pin sockets. This also depends a lot on the case you use, if it offers sufficient air flow during renders.

The quality and power capacity of your power supply is also important. That's what keeps your system stable during 3D renders. The computer I blew was using a cheap Enermax PSU that shipped with the case, and it cost me the mobo, memory, processor and even the video card. It overheated, blew a cap, and took everything in the case with it. Since then, I never went cheap on the PSU anymore because that can cost you dearly.

I agree with all of this, in my days working in a computer shop I saw quite a few machines that were completely trashed when the PSU failed. For the most part a computer used for 3D should be the best balance you can get for the money with the exception of the PSU. My own thoughts are that a PSU for such a system should be at least have gold certification, if not Platinum, and the rating should be well below the draw required for such a system. Many only look at the rating and get one that will just do but this means the unit will be running at close to the maximum capacity for most of its life. In addition many look only at the power rating and not at how smooth each of the voltage rails are, the smother the supply the less stress being applied to the components of the system.

ShvrDavid

Motivated
I have a temporary fix.

Glad to hear that you will be up and running.

As far as power supplies go...

Most of my systems have Antec Modular power supplies in them.
8 rail style, basically server class in an atx case. They can be paired together if you build a monster system.

Hornet is right about looking to see how many rails the supply has, and what current each rail can make.
Supplies that use fewer rails with lots of watts per rail, are not that efficient and prone to failure.