• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11 Serial number and new Smith Micro Poser team

jan19

Enthusiast
Hey, long time, no see. Does anyone know how to update Poser 11, if the SM DL Manager rejects a serial #? I requested support from SM, but no go so far. Hope everyone is well. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hey, long time, no see. Does anyone know how to update Poser 11, if the SM DL Manager rejects a serial #? I requested support from SM, but no go so far. Hope everyone is well. :)

Hi Jan, maybe not helpful, but if you are upgrading, remember you have to put in both serial numbers the first time - the one from the upgraded version and the new P11 serial.

jan19

Enthusiast
Hey. Thanks for the replies and welcome back. :) I'm not upgrading to P11. I did that awhile ago. I'm trying to get the latest SR, and the SM DL Manager keeps giving me an error message. Any help would be appreciated. I did contact Smith Micro, but no go. Any hints?

ScreenShot_P11DLManager.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I remember something like this has happened to me when P11 was just released. That was caused by SMS storing Poser configuration at a Windows temporary folder that got eventually wiped out. I have reported this and SMS changed things to avoid loosing the Poser registration whenever Windows cleans up temp folders. This should not be happening in the updated versions.

However, I had a recent issue with Poser SR-6 loosing [less important] information because it was storing data at a temp folder, but this time it wasn't related to registration. The lost file was the Poser error log file when I was trying to figure out why it wasn't starting. In the end the cause was NVidia's GeForce driver 381.65, which crashes Poser right at launch. Reverting back to the previous driver version solved the issue.

One thing I can tell is that SMS has replied promptly every time I have reported critical issues. It might be that they are having a server maintenance period, which started last week and would last for several days. For that meanwhile, the tech support server was down, but I don't know if it's up again by now. They were not responding in that period, but it's understandable. It most probably is now.

jan19

Enthusiast
One thing I can tell is that SMS has replied promptly every time I have reported critical issues. It might be that they are having a server maintenance period, which started last week and would last for several days. For that meanwhile, the tech support server was down, but I don't know if it's up again by now. They were not responding in that period, but it's understandable. It most probably is now.

Hey, Ken. Thanks for the information. Maybe the support system will be up soon. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hey, Ken. Thanks for the information. Maybe the support system will be up soon. :)

It comes down SMS has fired their entire Poser staff, and relocated to Braga in Portugal. The Poser Beta and Poser Insider programs have both been terminated. I saw some ads where SMS is hiring programmers in Portugal, so they may not have a complete team yet. Now that explains a few things.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hi Jan! Nice to see you here again. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

WOW Ken, interesting info there. I'm wondering why SM went this route to relocate their business there in Portugal! WOW... that's a pretty huge change!

eclark1894

Visionary
Hi Jan! Nice to see you here again. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

WOW Ken, interesting info there. I'm wondering why SM went this route to relocate their business there in Portugal! WOW... that's a pretty huge change!
It's a restructuring move to try and make them look leaner and more efficient to attract new investors. It wasn't just a Poser move, but company-wide.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This also means we no longer have Chuck Taylor and even Larry Weinberg in the Poser team. The new product manager is Rafael Torres (from Portugal), and we basically know nothing about him. Based on my experience with the original Poser team, some of them have been there for 20 years, and it was getting to a point of complacency, where critical flaws were always pushed to the next version because the program became too difficult to change. Maybe it was a good thing that we now have a completely new team. Sometimes that's what it takes for things to move on. It can either be great or terrible. It has worked wonders with Sony and Microsoft, so lets hope it will be so with Poser too.

Poser 12 was supposed to start development now, in April, but now who knows? Let's hope for the best.

D

Deleted member 325

I have to say, especially when seeing the responses in the official Poser forums, this move by SM has me worried. So much this past 2 years that SM has done (or in many cases not done) has really just shot Poser in the foot. I want to hope bringing in new blood will be a good move, especially as there are certain features I consider critical for a 3D graphics program I have been requesting since Version 6 and exist in about every other Graphics Program that Poser's dev team has continued to push off.
On the other hand, in a conversation with my local partner in art it was asked of me if I feel like I have chosen to stay aboard a sinking ship... I can't say his observation isn't valid (he is not as in to the 3D scene as I am, and mainly works with me on graphics and modeling for my animation project and real world art projects).

I did not know the Beta program was ended.

I will continue to use and support Poser in some capacity as long as feasible - mainly because of it's ability to either directly or indirectly easily work together with Lightwave, Vue, and other High end Animation programs in my pipeline. Currently, if I do decide to release figures at some point, or supporting clothing for figures, it will likely be stuff created out of my need for it first (for my projects) that I feel the community may benefit from as well (got a few things kicking around for dusk). I have decided to back Dusk/Dawn as my Poser figures. I like the added points of articulation over the default Poser standard (I actually feel a few more wouldn't hurt either). It just takes getting used to having worked with M3/V3 for so long.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am sad that so many good people lost their job although I have heard that many, if not all, soon found employment. I can also understand that the major re-structuring (usually another word for cost cutting) is fact of life and that all the cards are now in the air and we will have to see where they land. I have to say though one of the reasons I was so against the deactivation feature, which was slipped in to Game Dev, was it always had this potential. If there is is a problem with the activation code or even the re-activation and there is no support team, for what ever reason, it is the paying customer that is penalised, not the pirates.

It is also the reason that, though I purchased the Game Dev version and have it running on a spare machine, in the main I use Poser 2014 with the lack of deactivation hopefully means it is less likely to crash and burn.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have to say, especially when seeing the responses in the official Poser forums, this move by SM has me worried. So much this past 2 years that SM has done (or in many cases not done) has really just shot Poser in the foot. I want to hope bringing in new blood will be a good move, especially as there are certain features I consider critical for a 3D graphics program I have been requesting since Version 6 and exist in about every other Graphics Program that Poser's dev team has continued to push off.
On the other hand, in a conversation with my local partner in art it was asked of me if I feel like I have chosen to stay aboard a sinking ship... I can't say his observation isn't valid (he is not as in to the 3D scene as I am, and mainly works with me on graphics and modeling for my animation project and real world art projects).

I did not know the Beta program was ended.

I will continue to use and support Poser in some capacity as long as feasible - mainly because of it's ability to either directly or indirectly easily work together with Lightwave, Vue, and other High end Animation programs in my pipeline. Currently, if I do decide to release figures at some point, or supporting clothing for figures, it will likely be stuff created out of my need for it first (for my projects) that I feel the community may benefit from as well (got a few things kicking around for dusk). I have decided to back Dusk/Dawn as my Poser figures. I like the added points of articulation over the default Poser standard (I actually feel a few more wouldn't hurt either). It just takes getting used to having worked with M3/V3 for so long.

New features are always nice but I still have so much to learn so I will continue to work with Poser for as long as I can and, while my limited skills mean I will never be a vendor, I will support it in the sense I will continue to buy content while that available in the market place.

As to supporting upgrades of the actual software, well I hope they continue but as a hobbyist I can only justify the cost based upon the price of the upgrade and the benefits is brings. I didn't upgrade to Poser 11, not because there I thought it was bad but because there were few features I would use. Dawn and Dusk really reduced my need for new figures and while I wanted to play with Superfly, I already had Reality, which while I guess is a little more complex to use, Luxrender allows you to suspend a render which I find a real benefit. I am sure I would use the improved morph brush and the auto save feature would be a real bonus but for me the negatives outweighed the positives and so I stuck to Poser 2014.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Since this was not really anything to do with HW's moving to Poser 10 & DS 4.8, and was turning into a whole discussion of Poser and the new SM team, I split it off so folks can keep talking about it here...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey. Thanks for the replies and welcome back. :) I'm not upgrading to P11. I did that awhile ago. I'm trying to get the latest SR, and the SM DL Manager keeps giving me an error message. Any help would be appreciated. I did contact Smith Micro, but no go. Any hints?

Don't know if you are still struggling with this, but if you are, even though you aren't upgrading at the moment, you might still need both serial numbers. I feel like this happened to me with one of the SR updates to Poser 11, I had to re-enter both my Poser 11 serial and the one from my 2014 version. Also, I did find at that time that the serial number it wants in the previous serial number is the serial of the last version before the current one you owned, not necessarily the first version you bought that started the upgrade chain (which I guess makes sense in that they don't except people who've owned every version of Poser to still have their Poser 1 serial number (assuming that's how it worked back then) but my first thought it is that it would have been the upgrade from the version I paid the full price for.)

Anyway, if that doesn't work, you might want to double check that you don't have any anti-virus type stuff blocking the connection as it's trying to verify the serial number.

jan19

Enthusiast
Thanks for the information, everyone. :) I hope the new Poser 11 folks are up and running soon.