• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Playing with Emmision settings in Iray

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I recently did this render but wasn't totally happy with the emission settings
Meeting with a fairy dragon.jpg

I decided to work on the mushrooms first...here's a close up of the initial settings from my render.
base.jpg

I'm looking for a deeper red and also a glow from the mushroom caps. I download the ies profiles from this thread IES Profiles in Iray. and I'm using number 30 from their and I played with the texture in PS increasing the saturation of the mushroom.
base with saturated texture profile 30.jpg

This one is a bit too dark...trying profile 29 next

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Play with some more profiles... I think I might need to up the luminance a bit more. This one gives slightly more light on the top.
base with saturated texture profile 29.jpg

This is using a increased contrast texture instead of saturated. The red is closer to what I want.
base with contrast  texture profile 27 stopped at 66 percent.jpg

Last one...these last two I haven't let run to the end of the render as it was taking a lot of time and I just want to see where the light spread is. Light is more underneath the mushroom so less red glow...
base with contrast  texture profile 25 stopped at 66 percent.jpg

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have a globe that I want to set to emit light but not extremely bright, what luminance is best?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have a free shader set available on ShareCG that does emission (among other things), but it's only usable with SuperFly. I have no idea how to do it with FireFly, other than setting the globe's Ambient Color to white, and the Ambient Value to 1.0 or higher. I think, however, that will only make it glow, but won't emit light from it onto other objects in the scene.

This is an example of what I was able to accomplish when playing with the shader set. The only objects in the scene are the 3 Shaderballs and Bagginsbill's EnvSphere with the Alternate Diffuse set to black. There are no lights in the scene, and I have the Ground plane hidden from view.

ShaderBall-Emissive.jpg

You can download the shader here --> Poser 11 Superfly Uber Shader version 3

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I found a tutorial and fiddled with the settings a bit.
Now I have the effect I wanted. :)
I'll move on to Superfly later today.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
...I have no idea how to do it with FireFly, other than setting the globe's Ambient Color to white, and the Ambient Value to 1.0 or higher. I think, however, that will only make it glow, but won't emit light from it onto other objects in the scene.
In Firefly, you need to engage Indirect Diffuse Lighting (IDL), and set irradiance cache and IDL quality to 35-85, with the higher number being better quality but slower to render.
But... that doesn't solve the problem of disproportionate lightcasting. Look at your center shaderball's brightness; shouldn't it be casting more light onto the other two shaderballs?

The way to do that is to use a second prop enveloping the center shaderball (and parented to it); it could be a slightly scaled-up duplicate shaderball. Set that prop's properties to *not* be visible in camera, and set it's ambient value to be 7-15. The unseen "emitter" shaderball will provide the strong lightcasting which the visible shaderball lacks.

In superfly, no need for an enveloping prop; use the "Lightpath ambient boost" node cluster to adjust the proportion of lightcasting strength to visible apparent brightness.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks Seach, as I really couldn't move them closer together, which I thought would be the only way to get more emission. I'm definitely going to be playing with this some more.

Oh, and thanks for the tip for doing this in FireFly. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Seeing your glowing mushroom test, I immediately imagined a faerie sitting underneath, reading a book by mush-light! :cool:
What a cute idea...still resetting up my content but that sounds like a fun render!

@Faery_Light, I'll see if I can locate the scene, I should be able to load it...from memory the mushrooms were from RDNA...but the fairie dragon was from daz. Fingers crossed it will load...post shortly.