• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

phd's products at HiveWire 3D

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Hi!
Happy to present small but powerfull product - 2-sided Vegetation Iray Shade-A phd Creation at HiveWire3D

Lilies closeup.jpg

This is A Lisa's Botanicals Creation - Asiatic Lily with default textures.

Some tech speak: it's custom Iray shader made and tailored specially for plants, for petals and leaves. It's physically-based 2-sided glossy translucent shader with independent settings for both sides of thin-walled geometry. It can be used as 1-sided too, just set one of parameters - translucency weight - to zero.

It serves two main goals:
  • open plants to light
  • make use of fact that leaves have two sides

Cherry spring profusion.jpg

And this is one of A Lisa's Botanicals Creation - Cherry Trees .

Willow on lakeside composition.jpg

Here is Weeping Willow - A Lisa's Botanicals Creation , Dense variant. Example of silvery-green leaves, and look how light fill the crown of the tree.

Good thing that this shader usually about 30% faster than default Iray shaders and conversions.
This is one of "before and after" examples, pure technical:

leaves3beforeandafter.jpg

And there some more examples what can be done with plants:

leaves-reddy.png leaves-silvery.png
These leaves are really 2-sided.

Carnations 3 Basket.jpg

A Lisa's Botanicals Creation - Carnation has many options, this basket is one of these. And grass blades have two sides too!

You can even do something like this if you feel creative:

And this is Merchant Resource too and can be used in your models or materails packs (details in readme, but basically as long as you make materials and not shaders with it and use it in commercial products).

And PDF tutorial with structure of this shader and examples is here too.
Happy rendering!

Last edited:

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I cannot wait to use this!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't have the latest version of DS so can't avail myself of your shaders, but I have to say they look absolutely lovely. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I was thinking "how did I miss this?!?" and realized its just new in the shop now :p (actually its my shopping cart now :D)

Stunning work PHD!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You do seem to have a mastery of the Iray engine. Very nice work here. I'm a 3delight only artist, so I would not be able to use these - but they definitely do look beautifully crafted!

Congrats on getting them into the store. :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yep, very cool stuff...This is SUCH a cool product!

Congrats on being a new CA, phd!

There's a pdf tutorial with it, folks, that we worked on together to help people use the product.

So when you buy this, be SURE to read through that before starting :).

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Well done and congrats on getting a product in the store...not a pay week this week unfortunately so hopefully I can pick it up. If not I will get it next week.