• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pauline Avatar for Marvelous Designer

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nice...looks like you can do more than just export an object these days with Marvelous Designer...I keep meaning to retry the program but haven't gotten around to it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry I was still fuzzy headed when I posted that...I meant that when I was using MD to create the avatar it was basically just exporting the model as an object file and you just loaded it in MD. From what you have above it looks much more sophisticated then the earlier versions. I wasn't talking about exporting from MD but importing an object to use as an avatar. I have actually made some stuff in MD when it first came out but that was about 4 versions ago.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks for sharing this. I actually didn't know about Marvelous Designer, and I'm going to have to try it out. I make a lot of actual clothing, and I just can't wrap my head around the 'sculpting' method that has been traditionally used to make clothes for 3d models.

FVerbaas

Motivated
If you are conversant with actual cutting and sewing believe me Marvelous Designer is just the thing for you. The work method mimes real clothing making to a degree that drives traditional 3D artists mad. :D
Example: you can scale the patterns and simulate but you cannot scale the 3D model. If you use a fabric with a striping pattern, you get more stripes if you make the clothing fit a 'less slender' model. You can actually set grain direction on the patterns.
I will post bodice slopers for her shortly in the resources section.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow...bodice slopers, it has come a long way. Does it allow you to split and pivot properly now when adjusting the pattern?

FVerbaas

Motivated
Yes. You can cut the blocks and rearrange them and pivot them around a point you specify. . You can not merge the blocks (yet), but tracing still is easy and probably more quick than specifying how you want them merged.
BTW: Bodice slopers are up now under resources.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
If you are conversant with actual cutting and sewing believe me Marvelous Designer is just the thing for you. The work method mimes real clothing making to a degree that drives traditional 3D artists mad. :D
Example: you can scale the patterns and simulate but you cannot scale the 3D model. If you use a fabric with a striping pattern, you get more stripes if you make the clothing fit a 'less slender' model. You can actually set grain direction on the patterns.
I will post bodice slopers for her shortly in the resources section.

Yes, I'm loving it. I've had no luck at sculpting clothing, possibly because it just won't behave like fabric ;). And the part I hate most about actual sowing is the cutting, and hey I don't have to do that, and I can always rework my patterns.

FVerbaas

Motivated
A short follow-up on this topic:
There is also a 'big sister' program of Marvelous Designer: It has more features and the name is CLO Atelier. It has some useful extra functions like making marks on the garment (like a tailor uses chalk), possibility to import patterns in autodesk format, and facilities for more detail inthe garment, use 'ironing', add buttons, etc.
It uses the same data format as Marvelous Designer for the clothing and accepts Poser-generated Collada avatars.

Like Marvelous Designer they offer a fully functional free trial for one full month. This should be long enough to let you get the hang of it. The two subscriptions are not connected so you can enjoy 2 months of free experimentation and content creation.
Details of the newest functions are here

When you are interested, do me a favor and use this link to get it.

CLO Atelier itself does not come with any content or avatars, but if you still have the set that came with Marvelous Designer, they can be used also.
My avatar for Pauline is also at Content Paradise for free. I would be happy to share also my Dawn avatar but I am afraid there would be some objections.

Noted disadvantge of Atelier is the geometry export is only to Alembic format, not to .obj. (Or is the absence of Alembic import a shortcoming of Poser? )
Does anyone know of a good converter?