• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Otoy anonced Octane3 @May 15

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Great news, I have been waiting to upgrade for a looong time. I think Octane has a small team, so things take time. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
At least it's still this month, and looks like they will include a free plugin like they did in the previous releases. I will pick the Poser one, of course. ^^

Willowisp

Adventurous
Hmm I thought they were supposed to include support for OpenCL so you could use AMD cards, looks like that got axed in favor of CPU support instead. Bummer. Not that I can really afford it anyway, but if it had OpenCL support I would seriously consider it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Willowisp That got me by surprise too. I've noticed the tone has changed about OpenCL, which was widely announced as an Octane 3 feature at first. Looks like they have changed their mind somewhere in the way. Here again, the Octane team it said to be REALLY small, and maybe they just didn't have enough manpower to make that come true. They seem to have dropped that concept altogether now.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Standalone was launched at Monday, and it seems that OTOY solved (or solving) problems with new auth system.
And Poser plugin is out today.

But most interesting things for me was postponed to 3.1 - OSL, MTL plugin :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've got the Poser plugin 3.00 yesterday, but haven't tried yet since I can't use Octane in promos. Well, at least not in all of it. ;p There seems to be a bug on the Puser plugin that causes it to crash when we open the render preview. They are asking those affected by it to go back to the previous NVIDIA driver until they can figure this out.

There were some rather drastic internal changes in Octane 3, and I'm not sure I like some of them, because they affect performance. Looks like adding volumetrics and some other features required rearranging some of the internals.