• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

OT-I need a little female help ...

eclark1894

Visionary
I have a friend in New York who recently adopted a little girl. I forget specifically how old she is, but I know it's between 5 and 8. I don't know if that will be significant , but you should know. My friend has drafted me to be her "adopted" uncle, so I want to bu her a small gift. I thought earrings would be safe but I don't know if her ears are pierced or not. I didn't want to ask her mother (my friend), so I thought I buy them on my own. I figured the safest way for me to go would be to get the clip-on earrings, and maybe when she's older, I'd get her some pierced earrings. I'm thinking this is a nice safe gift for a little girl and I would be mailing them to her mother, not the kid. It's not the girl's birthday or anything, I just wanted to do something nice. Am I overstepping a line? Maybe earrings aren't something I should be getting???

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
i don´t sure..perhaps another girl here can help more...but i think girls of all ages usually like plush dolls...i do ...even being 53 years old lol!

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I did buy her a big plushie for Christmas. Just wanted something different. You think a toy might be more appropriate?

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I can't tell because i am from a different country and culture , perhaps what is ok here is not there... I'm not sure , but wait to see what the other girls here think

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd go with a bracelet or necklace rather than earrings if you decide on jewelry. That is ... if she's interested in jewelry.

At that age, I wasn't interested in jewelry. As a reader, I preferred books.

It wouldn't hurt to discuss this with your friend as she'd know what would be a hit and what wouldn't.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I agree with Satira, as I know I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 20. If you decide on a bracelet or necklace, as Satira suggested, I would go with something beaded and colorful (not pearls), rather than gold for a girl that age.

Perhaps a small game (not an online game), might be better received by the daughter. I think at her age she might not appreciate what a a preteen girl might like.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'd go with a bracelet or necklace rather than earrings if you decide on jewelry. That is ... if she's interested in jewelry.

At that age, I wasn't interested in jewelry. As a reader, I preferred books.

It wouldn't hurt to discuss this with your friend as she'd know what would be a hit and what wouldn't.
I would discuss it with my friend, but I wanted to surprise her with it as well. I hadn't considered a bracelet or maybe a tiara or some other jewelry.

eclark1894

Visionary
Maybe???? It's not that expensive. Less than $10.
1592506997975.png

Or maybe this one? It's twice the price, but I know she seems to be fascinated by bugs right now. Who knows, maybe she'll grow up to be an entomologist.
1592507265527.png

Last edited:

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Ballet and butterflies are both relatively safe choices for little girls.

On earrings....not everyone thinks they're appropriate for little girls (used to be, anyhow....more are wearing them now)...and not everyone, even adults, have pierced ears. So, don't do earrings until she's older and you've had a conversation with the guardian.

But I remember being tickled to get "big girl" gifts of actual jewelry when I was a child. (Necklaces and bracelets only. Cheap only, not all survives childhood.) I still have the necklace my sister in law gave me (aquamarine heart, with little tiny sparkly stones around it) when I was four. I was the flower girl at my brother's wedding and that was the thank you gift I got.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
A necklace is a safe choice but don't get an expensive one.

My granddaughter is weird to buy for. I bought her an American Girl doll for her 6th birthday that she never played with. But get her anything with dinosaurs, cats of Pokemon and she loves it.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think either of those 2 necklaces would be perfect. See if you could find a cheaper butterfly one if you can since you know she likes bugs ($20 seems a little expensive for a child, especially as a gift not for a special occasion).

I'd say no to the earrings too, I wasn't allowed to get them until I was 13. If you get clip-ons she just might hassle her new mum for real ones when she's not ready to allow something like that (if the child doesn't already have her's peirced).

eclark1894

Visionary
I'd say no to the earrings too, I wasn't allowed to get them until I was 13. If you get clip-ons she just might hassle her new mum for real ones when she's not ready to allow something like that (if the child doesn't already have her's peirced).
Yeah, I was worried about that as well. She might not even be thinking of getting her ears pierced and I don't want to set it into motion, especially since I'm not telling her mother I'm getting them. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You don't have to tell your friend you want to buy a gift. Call to see how they are doing, and what could be more natural than to ask about her daughter, and what they've had fun doing during the quarantine. You might also ask just how old she is. There can be a huge difference in what a 5 year old likes and what an 8 year old likes.

Do Mom read bedtime stories to her every night?
Does she like playing tea parties with stuffed animals and dolls.
Does she love pretending to be Rey from Star Wars (or Leia for that matter).
Or Wonder Woman.
Or Supergirl.
Or Winnie the Pooh.
Or ... on and on.

The more you know of her interests, the more likely you'll buy an Uncle gift that is a hit rather than a miss.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those are cute Stezza. Not sure I've ever seen anything like that advertised here.

Kerya

Brilliant
Yeah, I was worried about that as well. She might not even be thinking of getting her ears pierced and I don't want to set it into motion, especially since I'm not telling her mother I'm getting them. :)

Good idea of not getting earrings, not even clip-ons - because most of those clip-ons are hurting after wearing them a short time (experience talking here).

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Good idea of not getting earrings, not even clip-ons - because most of those clip-ons are hurting after wearing them a short time (experience talking here).
I remember clip ons (and screwons) as being so painful (and yet not staying on) that I figured that pierced would be less painful. (And it is less painful....after the pierce heals.)