• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Notre Dame

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It's burning. Probably nothing will be left. 850 years old - took 100 years to build. Soooo sad.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I saw that a little bit ago, and was totally shocked. The total ruination of history. ~shakes head~

Leana

Enthusiast
Apparently they have managed to save the main cathedral and the towers.
Yes, main structure should be saved, though there's still lot of work before the fire is totally out.
We don't know how much is damaged yet, except than the wooden frame of the roof is totally lost and of course the spire has fallen.

We will rebuild what we can, but it will never be the same again. :(

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I hope they can keep the spirit of it when rebuilding. It's a place I have always dreamed of visiting.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I visited the Vatican years ago when I was in Rome, but not sure why I never visited Notre Dame when I was in Paris.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If I was even in Paris Notre Dame would be the first place I'd visit then there's a bridge that has statues on it, that would be second though I'd need to figure out what bridge it is. Only seen it in pictures.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, main structure should be saved, though there's still lot of work before the fire is totally out.
We don't know how much is damaged yet, except than the wooden frame of the roof is totally lost and of course the spire has fallen.

We will rebuild what we can, but it will never be the same again. :(

I think they also lost some of the stained glass windows which is a crying shame. I do remember visiting Notre Dame some ten years ago when I was in Paris with my wife, it was beautiful and I am so glad I did so when I had the chance. If it is ever restored it will not be within my life time. Just like the fire at Windsor Castle it seems to have caught fire while having the workmen in so perhaps it highlights a need for better monitoring of the workforce in such places. So sad to see it burn and now I worry for the houses of parliament which also has the workmen in for the next few years.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Notre Dame is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. Not only because of its stunning architecture but also its wonderful sense of atmosphere and sanctity so sadly lacking in many buildings nowadays. It's a terrible feeling to realise that we may have lost something so precious!

Hornet3d

Wise
Notre Dame is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. Not only because of its stunning architecture but also its wonderful sense of atmosphere and sanctity so sadly lacking in many buildings nowadays. It's a terrible feeling to realise that we may have lost something so precious!

It looks as though most of the structure has survived which I guess is some comfort. They say they will rebuild but it will never be the same and one expert was saying that the roof trusts that have been destroyed will be hard to replace as they were so large and trees of that size are pretty rare these days. Then of course there is the gargoyles / grotesques that will need to be recreated, predicted time span was suggested as being ten years but I will be surprised if it is completed in that time span. This is one of the situations that throwing money at it has limited impact as there are so few skilled people that can do this sort of work.

So sad that it is only when you loose something of this beauty that you realise the true value.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Given the size of the fire, the number of firefighters who responded (400ish), the number of people in the building, and how difficult and hazardous it was to fight this fire, it's amazing there were so few injuries and no deaths. According to the Paris Fire Brigade two policeman and one firefighter were slightly injured.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm glad they are going to rebuild it. Apparently the spire that fell was built in the 19th C so it's had modifications here and there. I don't care if they spend 50 years rebuilding. As long as they do a good job and make it as much like it was as possible. I mean they could have decided to tear it down and build some modern thing.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm glad they are going to rebuild it. Apparently the spire that fell was built in the 19th C so it's had modifications here and there. I don't care if they spend 50 years rebuilding. As long as they do a good job and make it as much like it was as possible. I mean they could have decided to tear it down and build some modern thing.

While it will never be the same again it would be criminal not to rebuild and refurbish such a beautiful place.