• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do
Resource icon

Notepad++ Poser Language File 2016-12-26

No permission to download

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Netherworks submitted a new resource:

Notepad++ Poser Language File - Language File for Poser Files for Notepad++

Don't know if one is out there or not but here is a Notepad++ Language File for Poser Formats. It is a zipped .xml document. You need to unzip it somewhere temporarily.

In Notepad++, Go to Language, "Define Your Language..." and click on "Import...". Browse to the xml file provided.

--

Notepad++ can be found here: Notepad++ Home

Read more about this resource...

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Joe - trying to understand what this does. I have never used Notepad ++ - I use Edit Pad Lite and just drag most Poser and DS files into it. The one thing that can't be read is .pdm files - does this do that?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't used Notepad++ for years, as I discovered NoteTab Lite and prefer it. I have the PFE, so not concerned, but the one thing I would find annoying as far as opening Poser files in a plain text editor is, it's a very loooooong document with no sections, so it's just line, after line, after line, after line, of information, and it's more difficult to find what you're looking for. The PFE, and similar editors, work like hierarchy charts, so you only need to expand the section you're looking for, which makes the file more compact, and easier to work with.

If I'm understanding Joe correctly, his .XML file will make it easier to work with Poser files in plain text editors like Notepad++.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Joe!

Notepad++ let's you select a code language that will then display syntax highlighting when writing code. When Poser is selected as the code language, things like Actor is then highlighted.

I tried using PFE and had a heck of a time with it! But then, I never collapse my code either when I'm working in vb.net. What can I say ... I guess I'm a more is more kind of girl :p

Notepad ++ has line numbers, a fantastic find/search and replace (single open file, all opened files, or all files in a folder), multi-tabbed interface, spell check, and multi-level undo. For coders, it has syntax highlighting (as mentioned), as well as syntax folding (ability to collapse sections of code), multi-editing, auto-completion. I've never noticed the syntax folding or auto-completion, but that might also be part of what selecting Poser as the code language gives you. You can also create and save macros, though I've only created and run temp macros.

Do you mean the Poser's pmd files, Alisa? You still need a pmd editor. Unless Joe knows how to edit them in Notepad ++!

EditPad Lite (like Notepad++) allows you to open oodles of text files at once, search and replace (though I don't know whether it will search files in a folder or just opened files), and multiple undo/redo.
It also has auto save and backup features and will let you store a list of text snippets for reuse later.

It doesn't include coding features like syntax highlighting, etc.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Joe...this looks very useful. I wish I'd had it when I was hand editing the poser injection for Diva.

So I imported the xml file and it said it was successful. How do I use it? Do I need to go to Language again? I saw Python...but wasn't sure if that was it? Too early it's right down at the bottom and says Poser...I was looking under P. I need coffeee...

Last edited:

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Yeah, it's for syntax highlighting and code folding for Notepad++.

PMD is binary. It can't be read, conventionally.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very cool...each section of text has a plus/minus button so you can close sections of the text.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very cool...each section of text has a plus/minus button so you can close sections of the text.
That's what I like about the PFE and similar editors. Much easier to get to just the section you need to edit.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I find PFE very useful. However, there are things I like to go to a text editor for.

PFE, while powerful, is really odd to interact with. You either click on many checkboxes or you hold shift and drag to select things. I find it fairly easy to make a mistake because the design isn't "app standard". Normally for a list of things you'd click and then shift click somewhere else to grab several items. It doesn't work that way in PFE. Also I'm used to doing things like hitting F2 to rename, you have to do a slow click or set it to quick edit. Again, it's a great tool just the operation part is really funky.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true, as I've come across some of those issues, especially renaming/fixing paths, as I often wind up popping up a dialog, rather than just being able to edit in place.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I also use Cr2 Builder but it's many years old now and is very slow to handle advanced figure designs, like weight mapping.

Semicharm

Eager
Thanks Netherworks! I've made several attempts at making a language file for Poser myself. Worked most of the time, but for some odd reason collapsing gets really screwed up sometimes. I'll definitely try out your version to see if it has the same issues.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Joe!!

Usually Edit Pad Lite does what I need but this could come in handy :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I use cr2 Editor, Notepad++ and pz3 Editor as well.
Each has it's own pros and cons.
I'd love it if PhilC would update pz3 editor to allow search and replace or multile select for editing. :)

oops, my bad, t is cr2 edit I would like to have multiple select for...sigh.
Pz3 Editor has all that.
But wish it had dual windows...hint, hint. :)

Last edited:

Semicharm

Eager
Thanks for creating this. Notepad++ is an extremely powerful text editor and I use it all the time for editing poser files. I'd tried to create a Poser language file myself a few times, but notepad++ would always glitch when folding with some files. This one seems to work so far. I did notice a few mistakes and omissions though. Comments start with #, not //. They used the convention from the OBJ file format. Also, it hightlights some block headings but skips others such as light, baseProp, magnetDeformerProp, hairProp, hairGrowthGroup, coneForceFieldProp, groupNode, shaderTree, node, nodeInput. I know some of these aren't common, but neither is waveDeformerProp.