• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Need help saving props & other questions.

DigitalDreamsDS

Inspired
Contributing Artist
I am new at using DAZ studio, let alone making content for it... only my 2nd product for studio. SO, that being said, I need help saving props and materials correctly AND where to save them.
A tester sent me this image:
Screenshot 2016-01-07 21.42.52.png

What does that mean? I try to go to the file location on my computer and it does not exist, but everything loads fine on my end.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Looks like you're missing the data file.

There should be a folder under Data/Your name/Product that needs to be included when you package a product. Follow the path on the screen shot and you should find it. Needs to be included for the product to work. Data should be inside whatever you call your Daz content folder...the default name is My Library. Mine is actually My Daz Library but it can be anything depends on what you set it up as. Has to be a data file to work...

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
A trick I do every time I've created a new freebie.. create a new runtime and map that to DS. From here on out, everything you save pertaining to your product that you intend to distribute, save to this folder. That way, when you're done, just zip up the entire folder and you won't miss anything.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
It does! I think Doe was the the first thing where I messed with creation in Poser and used this method. Worked very well.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would think it would since the Runtime setup is the same in both apps, it's just that Poser doesn't have the DS Content folder data.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Exactly. Also saves a ton of time over having to dig through the folders for all of the different file types since Poser splits them worse than Studio does.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
DAZ Studio saves things, if I recall correctly, in the FIRST content library you have mapped in the program.

So that's the data folder it will probably be in. You need to include the folder sequence and the data files in your product.

Hope that helps.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
SickleYield does that and there is a trick where you can hide the other directories so you know for sure you have all your files. It's up in her journal over at Deviant Art.

That's interesting info Alisa...

DigitalDreamsDS

Inspired
Contributing Artist
i will check other folders and see if it got put there. I have my own folder where i keep all my creations seperate from the main daz folder... that is where i checked first. i will check the default folder too. Thanks guys!

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
DAZ Studio saves things, if I recall correctly, in the FIRST content library you have mapped in the program.

So that's the data folder it will probably be in. You need to include the folder sequence and the data files in your product.

Hope that helps.

I think you can change that when you first save your product. A box pops up that tells you the path it is saving to, which I think can be changed, and lots of other information including name of product, name of item, and you can even categorize and start to set up meta data at that point.
I usually do the same thing others have mentioned, just create a brand new library for each new product and keep all its files in there.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...it is possible to customise and create a product name and everything with that name should go in the same data file.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think you can change that when you first save your product. A box pops up that tells you the path it is saving to, which I think can be changed, and lots of other information including name of product, name of item, and you can even categorize and start to set up meta data at that point.
I usually do the same thing others have mentioned, just create a brand new library for each new product and keep all its files in there.

Yeah, I think Paul said it defaults to the first mapped library, so keeping yours there makes it so you don't have to remember :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I am new at using DAZ studio, let alone making content for it... only my 2nd product for studio. SO, that being said, I need help saving props and materials correctly AND where to save them.

What does that mean? I try to go to the file location on my computer and it does not exist, but everything loads fine on my end.

When saving props...

File --> Save As --> Support Asset --> Figure/Prop Assets

A window will pop up where you can enter a bunch of information. I usually put my props under Childe of Fyre/PropName/ so it's easy to find later.

For saving Materials...

File --> Save As --> Materials Preset

This window that comes up will allow you, just like with a Poser material collection, to choose as many or as few of your item's surfaces that you want to save the material settings for.

Some, though not all, of the types of items you save can also be located by clicking the plus sign (+) at the lower bottom left corner of your content tab. I usually use this, except for things that are not contained in that menu, then I go up to the File menu I mentioned above.

When you save a prop object to the content library, in Poser it would create a geometry/obj file. In Studio, the "data" files do that job. So whatever folder names you chose when saving your prop, will be under your "My Library/data" folder, whatever that is named on your end.

Here's a couple of screenshots... this is how I, personally, do it. Every vendor or content creator has their own method, obviously. This is just how I do it myself.

SavingPropFilesDS1.jpg

SavingPropFilesDS2.jpg

SavingPropFilesDS3.jpg

SavingPropFilesDS4.jpg

Hope this helps.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm about to do my first DS product. I have a prop that has several morphs attached to it. Will DS save these also?

Also is it still necessary to convert everything to triax?

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'd like to know how as well..

I made a prop in Carrara and then made copies of with the flag in diff possies... saved them all out and then imported the original OBJ into [cough cough ] Daz Studio.. then I used the import thingy to add the morphs...

all works well in DS but when I saved it out it doesn't work no more... it does in DS but not in Carrara...

not being a DS user I have no idea why...

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just saved the props in Daz Studio and the morphs all work. A couple that weren't there originally were added though. Gotta figure out how to get right of those. They ones that should be there all work.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I guess my biggest questions right now are where to put the duf files that DS created. It put them in a folder called Figures on a completely different area of my computer. Also do I need to copy the obj files to DS?