• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Monitor blew

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well, that's it, the monitor from my big desktop just gave up. So I'm working from my laptop now.
I'll have to re-arrange my whole runtime and in between I'm working on the poses.
I just had a peep on how much content I actually have....*sigh*.....it's alot.....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If it's the monitor you don't have a spare hanging around that you could use? I currently run a dual monitor set up but I would miss that extra monitor if it went.
One of the reasons I have my runtime on an external drive is it means I only have to hook it into whatever computer I'm using is. I would need to find the categories file though and transfer it across or I would lose all my categories.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ouch! My Wacom pen gave up the ghost, and I'm not comfortable using my wireless mouse until I can get a new one, but losing a monitor is a lot harder to deal with if you only have one computer. Luckily for me, when that happened with my last laptop, I bought a monitor that I could plug into it, and then got a wireless keyboard, so I was able to put the laptop out of the way. It was like working on my old Desktop again. :) Lucky for you, you have your laptop to work with until you can get a new monitor.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
You may want to consider a refurbished (used) monitor; look at eBay, Newegg, and Amazon. I recommend a physically large monitor. I have a laptop with a 17" 1920x1200 monitor, and it has another 1920x1200 monitor extending the desktop, but the second monitor is 27". Same pixel count, but bigger pixels. Easier to read.

If you have a TV, you could probably use it until you get a monitor (or two). TVs generally have a mediocre pixel count, though.

SndCastie

Admirable
QAV-BEE
yea afraid mine might be getting ready to take a dive too part of the pixals aren't showing up in some things so have been pricing a new one hope you can get a new one soon too.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
What a pain!

It is, it's more annoying then anything else, now I have to say goodbye to my old and trusted XP-32bit desktop. I have no use buying a new monitor for that computer. I borrowed the monitor from my wife's PC but strangely she wants her back for some odd reason... ;)
Since a very bad experience with loosing all data I keep a back-up on my laptop - or better my mobile office - and an external drive aswell, it's just not updated. So I'm re-arranging and redecorating my runtimes on the lappie and the external drive.
I was planning - in due time - to move everything over to a laptop. A particular one I'm saving up for. I have my eyes set on the latest Acer Predator *drool* with a Nvidia and the lot. With the caravan and all I want my own little mobile office to travel with me when we will be spending our days over there. I had allready talked to my provider how to create my own hotspot there because the wifi of the park sucks when everyone is using it. But that was for the future....guess I'm having to manage for a while with the lappie. It's not bad, it's just different. I know I'll be used to it in a week or so.

I do have a plan of buying a second hand monitor maybe for the old desktop and experiment with Linux. I could have a go at that now

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I was planning - in due time - to move everything over to a laptop. A particular one I'm saving up for. I have my eyes set on the latest Acer Predator *drool* with a Nvidia and the lot.

A nice choice Pommerlis! I must admit I do have a soft spot for Acer for the simple reason they seem to last forever. My last one I bought when XP was the latest OS and I replaced it with another Acer, an Aspire E 15 last year, not because it died on me, but because my 3D programs were outstripping it's ability to handle them. In fact I still use the old one as back-up for my files and images. I'm delighted to report the new one is also handling everything I throw at it! :applause:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Did you see the latest Acer predator?! The one with the curved screen...o man....
Since I know my way around computers a bit I tend to react the same to them as I do with cars. I would looooove to be able to afford a Tesla.
Apparently that's weird for a girl but hey.

Same here, I have an Acer AspireE15 aswell and I thought I had to keep the XP-one for my Paint Shop Pro but nope....I installed it on the laptop and it just ran beautifully

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
They do have some advantages Satira and Glitterati. I also like to go out and take photographs and my camera bag (backpack) has a laptop pocket so the laptop goes with me. Its no sweat to switch from one to the other as the inspiration takes me or download a photo and incorporate it into my 3D work on the fly. Of course there's the added bonus of being out in the fresh air and away from a fixed location all the time. Not so itty-bitty either with screens of 21 inches becoming available. The Acer Predetor is an awesome machine.:)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I like the idea of having both. Which is why I have an external hard drive for content. I love my desktop with two monitors and the power it has but I like the idea of being able to do stuff when on the couch too. I don't have DS on my work computer but would like to eventually get a laptop as well, but then we have more computers/devices than people in my house!

Semicharm

Eager
I like the idea of having both. Which is why I have an external hard drive for content. I love my desktop with two monitors and the power it has but I like the idea of being able to do stuff when on the couch too. I don't have DS on my work computer but would like to eventually get a laptop as well, but then we have more computers/devices than people in my house!
I think we have a 3:1 ratio of computers and devices to people at this point. LOL

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
They do have some advantages Satira and Glitterati. I also like to go out and take photographs and my camera bag (backpack) has a laptop pocket so the laptop goes with me. Its no sweat to switch from one to the other as the inspiration takes me or download a photo and incorporate it into my 3D work on the fly. Of course there's the added bonus of being out in the fresh air and away from a fixed location all the time. Not so itty-bitty either with screens of 21 inches becoming available. The Acer Predetor is an awesome machine.:)

That is why I am slowly moving towards a laptop, we bought our holiday-caravan and I want to work there. Open up the sliding doors and....fresh air, wind breezing through the trees, squirels chasing the dog...or is that the other way round LOL
This laptop is doing fine right now but I would like one with a Nvidia-card later on since I'm learning Daz at the moment and I want to use it's full potential