• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Modeling question

Carey

Extraordinary
Okay so I have a question, course I am not sure how to ask it, but here goes.
I work mainly in hexagon, although I have other programs like SILO, BLENDER to name a couple..

Like in hex when you make some thing I use different shapes added together to make my object, I do this for a number of reasons, for one stacking 3D shapes in hex gives you a hard edge, extruding in hex creates a soft edge and makes texturing much harder....

Any way moving on... Doing things this way creates "Shapes with in shapes" or problem prone interior vertices... Now when I and down and go on to UV mapping and even texturizing what I have really just done is I added a second skin to the out side of my creation. Now this skin doesn't hold any information on those interior vertices...

Now here comes the question...drum roll please...I want that "skin" to become my OBJ. I want to take that UV map and make it a OBJ so to say...Now hang on, this is a two part question as I want to know if hex can do this or some other program that can do this...

yes some of my terms aren't correct and the way I am asking this is most likely not worded right, just think of me as Einsteins much dumber brother, well perhaps a cousin, make that a third cousin on your step sisters side of the family....lol

Carey

Extraordinary
German town 1.png
Okay here is an example of a drawing in hex, each color represents a new primitive was used to make it as you can see the shapes are stacked one on top of the other and all the primitives have at least four sides, this creates the interior vertices I am talking about.. Now this object has not been UV mapped nor as you can plainly see it has not been textured...Now ah now, yea now Okay let's try this, see the beams that criss cross the building, each one of them has at least six sides, even though only three sides are showing and only three sides will be textured, fact is what I am trying to do is get rid of the other at least three sides... as you can see some primitives meet and create unseen vertices too, yea those have to go to. Now my work is highly detailed.. even the windows have tracks they would normally side up and down in to mention just one detail... by the way this a horse drawn couch factory with horse stalls built on with attached servant/workers quarters...

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Okay so I have a question, course I am not sure how to ask it, but here goes.
I work mainly in hexagon, although I have other programs like SILO, BLENDER to name a couple..

Like in hex when you make some thing I use different shapes added together to make my object, I do this for a number of reasons, for one stacking 3D shapes in hex gives you a hard edge, extruding in hex creates a soft edge and makes texturing much harder....

Any way moving on... Doing things this way creates "Shapes with in shapes" or problem prone interior vertices... Now when I and down and go on to UV mapping and even texturizing what I have really just done is I added a second skin to the out side of my creation. Now this skin doesn't hold any information on those interior vertices...

Now here comes the question...drum roll please...I want that "skin" to become my OBJ. I want to take that UV map and make it a OBJ so to say...Now hang on, this is a two part question as I want to know if hex can do this or some other program that can do this...

yes some of my terms aren't correct and the way I am asking this is most likely not worded right, just think of me as Einsteins much dumber brother, well perhaps a cousin, make that a third cousin on your step sisters side of the family....lol

You cannot do it with the UV map alone. And, you cannot do it in Hexagon, but in Silo and Blender, yes.

What you really want to do is to create your model the way you are modeling, and then bring it into a program (Silo, blender, etc.) that will allow you to re-topologize your model. You draw a few lines with your mouse and the modeler creates a new model with new topology following your old one. Then, you UV map that model.

Carey

Extraordinary
You cannot do it with the UV map alone. And, you cannot do it in Hexagon, but in Silo and Blender, yes.

What you really want to do is to create your model the way you are modeling, and then bring it into a program (Silo, blender, etc.) that will allow you to re-topologize your model. You draw a few lines with your mouse and the modeler creates a new model with new topology following your old one. Then, you UV map that model.
Hey You hit it right on the Botton, had that person a QB Doll...lol Yes exactly what I want to do...now that we Are on the right track the question becomes this, I have more then 70 such buildings, all done in hex most of them are not uv mapped I have not been successful bringing them into SILO, course truth be told I would not know what to do with them once I got them there...

Why bother??? Well it is a matter of pride mainly, I am disabled and pretty much thought worthless to my family, I would kind of like to ...well...stick it to them for not believing in me, you know in a sort of fun family way, course I would like to do this before I am looking up at "In Loving Memory" spelled backwards...lol