• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

MilHorse textures or Harry horse textures for another character

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Greetings.
I have been coveting the LoRes Horse set at daz but rarely find them on sale. I know they are supposed to be low res but I assume that means low poly count.
If that be the case how could I get my big set of MilHorse1 textures or the Harry Horse textures to work on thos horses/
Will Poser2014 pro or P11 do that?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I don't have the LoRes Horse but I would guess the old Mil Horse textures might need some modifying to work as the LoRes horse is a stand alone figure/likely has/uses different UVs. Harry's def won't without a lot of work in Photoshop as the UVs are very different.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
thanks for responding here dear!
Of course the answer sorta bums me out. I have been using the old P4 horse for filler on complex scenes but it is way long in the tooth and lacks the fur and hair(feathers) options in the MilHorse or harry so it stands out like a freaky sore thumb in the renders. I got the DAZ Hi res textures for the P4 horse which render pretty good but no feathers and decent mane or tail to speak of. I just never got how so little was actually made for that old stuff and no one ever said anything to encourage further support to make it look more realistic! :(
Now I find a lower res option that has some of the same details harry and my old MilHorse have I can fill a scene with and it has no decent higher res texture! :(

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
thanks for responding here dear!
Of course the answer sorta bums me out. I have been using the old P4 horse for filler on complex scenes but it is way long in the tooth and lacks the fur and hair(feathers) options in the MilHorse or harry so it stands out like a freaky sore thumb in the renders. I got the DAZ Hi res textures for the P4 horse which render pretty good but no feathers and decent mane or tail to speak of. I just never got how so little was actually made for that old stuff and no one ever said anything to encourage further support to make it look more realistic! :(
Now I find a lower res option that has some of the same details harry and my old MilHorse have I can fill a scene with and it has no decent higher res texture! :(

Lyne's Creations has some really good textures.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
In DS we can set up alternate uv maps...I would really love to have that for Harry but have never thought about it in the reverse. Not sure if anyone has done any alternate uv's for the daz horses as I haven't used them in a long time. If they had you could create the maps in DS and then use them in Poser...IIRC, Zigraphix at one point was working on an alternate map for the Daz horse 2 but I'm not sure if it went anywhere...

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
It would have to be the DAZ Horse 1 since it was the last that worked in Poser. The textures would be needed for the LOW RES Horses I think by predatron at DAZ. THey look good as do all their other low res animals and are especially good for filling scenes when more animals are needed. Certainly better looking than the P4 horse which i use to fill scenes but no longer like for its lack of so much everything! If I could use Harry textures even parsed down to half their resolution or even some of the high res DAZ textures for the P4 horse and MilHorse 1 I would buy them.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It would be a lot of work to convert them over.

All these horses are the Lorez Horse. The first one is with its default mats, the next is with Poser Horse, then Charger, then Mil Horse and last is Harry (only the diffuse texture has been changed, all have the Lorez horses bumps etc). As you can see the MH is the one with the closest maps but it would still need a lot of work and unless you have CWRW's wonderful maps I don't think it would be worth it (that default MH bay doesn't look any better than the default LRH's one) I should mention even tho it is a Poser model, I rendered this in DS because I didn't have Poser loaded.

LR comparison.jpg

This is what the Lorez Horse texture looks like compared to similar Mil Horse one:
comparison.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
thanks for taking the time to show all this. REALLY APPRECIATE THE CLARITY it shed on the subject. Looks way beyond my skills to do all these conversions. Just when I finally convinced myself to get the LR Horse irregardless of whether it is on sale or not something else in real life broke. First it was a toilet flusher I had to hire plumber to fix (because my back will no longer to do my own repairs)....then it was a washing machine, then a toaster oven followed by a microwave oven and now it is my refrigerator that needs replacing/\. Most of the stuff that has been breaking has been 25 plus years of diligent service old. I guess ot was time they all gave up the ghost but it till sucks! Sooooo......horsie has to wait!
Just wondered isn't there a texture converter out there that does texture converting between characters? I guess it is too much to wish it worked with animals too!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know someone was working on a converter, can't remember if it was Mil or DH2 to HW horse but I don't think it ever went anywhere. I would love that too!

Sorry to hear what you're going through, but if I was you I wouldn't buy the Lorez Horse unless the polycount is really important to you for example I think the LR is approx. 4,800, the MH is 66,000 and HW is around 315,000. I'd prob stick with MH as the background horse as it has heaps of breed options and coat colours.

And this is how the Lorez horse looks in poser with one of the other coats.
LoRez Horse.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
As a filler horse where closups are not needed or atl east not as critical, this is a good solution. It is better than the P4 horse because the mane and fetlock and forlock and tail feathers are so much better. If the body texture was higher res or look less flat painted would look better.
Interesting reading the greater res of the Harry compared to DAZ Horse1. I understand why Harry makes using him in my work so much more difficult.

BTW thanks for posting this really informative and for me one image says a lot more than pages of commentary!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Just looking at the maps...given it's only one map for both the horses...creating alternate uv's in UVLayout would be simpler. If I owned both I'd probably be tempted to try but I don't. Learning how to create alternate uv's is on my wishlist of skills to learn. Would love to have alternate UV's for Dawn of the Genesis and V4 maps but it's not even something I would be able to share with others unfortunately.