• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Laptop woes

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Oh wow, that are a lot of terrible things. It'll take a while before it all settles I think. I saw you wanted to try texturing. Maybe I can tutor you a bit to help your sales?
I would love that - though right now I have a few obstacles - I am still trying to clean and repair my Father's house and make room to set up a proper work area. While I have my old workstation sort of set up, it is on a typing table at the foot of my bed with barely room for the mousepad and keyboard. This past couple of years in the wake of my father's passing has been hectic on me...and though I am close to the other side of it now, there is still so much to do, and when life keeps throwing me these other situations to eat up my time and distract me it just drags it all out.

I am willing to learn though. I have dabbled with texturing an making image maps in Photoshop and GiMPShop. I am trying to get a better handle on unwrapping and remaking UVs - for that I have Lightwave, Wings, or Blender (Wings UV system seems the most user friendly) and I have UV Mapper but not the pro version.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I would love that - though right now I have a few obstacles - I am still trying to clean and repair my Father's house and make room to set up a proper work area. While I have my old workstation sort of set up, it is on a typing table at the foot of my bed with barely room for the mousepad and keyboard. This past couple of years in the wake of my father's passing has been hectic on me...and though I am close to the other side of it now, there is still so much to do, and when life keeps throwing me these other situations to eat up my time and distract me it just drags it all out.

I am willing to learn though. I have dabbled with texturing an making image maps in Photoshop and GiMPShop. I am trying to get a better handle on unwrapping and remaking UVs - for that I have Lightwave, Wings, or Blender (Wings UV system seems the most user friendly) and I have UV Mapper but not the pro version.
You can texture with blender and photoshop next to each other. So you can use its projection texturing. That's much faster then painting in 2D

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I ended up picking up a Refurbished Laptop off of Amazon. A Windows 10 pro 64 bit system running a quad core processor with 4 usb ports, HDMI port, Ethernet port, built in wifi, DVDRW drive, 8gb ram, and 15.6 in screen, and ethernet. It arrived today, but it is late now so I will try setting it up tomorrow and make sure it meets the specs. I would have liked more ram, but finding any laptop with enough USB ports plus a DVDRW proved difficult. Most I looked at either did not have ethernet, or did not use wifi but bluetooth, or did not have an optical drive. Even so, this almost cost as much as this old Toshiba I am typing on cost when it was brand new.

Hopefully all will work well, and I can manage to figure out Windows 10 quickly and this machine will become my new surfing system and portable workshop and I will relegate this old toshiba to a support and backup role. If everything is kosher with the new laptop I will pickup a USB bridge cable and move the important files off this laptop, and install at least a copy of Poser 11.3 on the newer laptop so I can play around while surfing the web. I will also have to figure out how to run a networked USB hard drive from my router with my massive oler runtime so multiple machines can access it from a central location.

DanaTA

Dances with Bees
I ended up picking up a Refurbished Laptop off of Amazon. A Windows 10 pro 64 bit system running a quad core processor with 4 usb ports, HDMI port, Ethernet port, built in wifi, DVDRW drive, 8gb ram, and 15.6 in screen, and ethernet. It arrived today, but it is late now so I will try setting it up tomorrow and make sure it meets the specs. I would have liked more ram, but finding any laptop with enough USB ports plus a DVDRW proved difficult. Most I looked at either did not have ethernet, or did not use wifi but bluetooth, or did not have an optical drive. Even so, this almost cost as much as this old Toshiba I am typing on cost when it was brand new.

Hopefully all will work well, and I can manage to figure out Windows 10 quickly and this machine will become my new surfing system and portable workshop and I will relegate this old toshiba to a support and backup role. If everything is kosher with the new laptop I will pickup a USB bridge cable and move the important files off this laptop, and install at least a copy of Poser 11.3 on the newer laptop so I can play around while surfing the web. I will also have to figure out how to run a networked USB hard drive from my router with my massive oler runtime so multiple machines can access it from a central location.
Good luck!

Dana

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@DanaTA thank you. Hoping to get back to art and animation on a more regular basis soon. These last many years have been rough for me, and in the last 3 I have gotten so very little done at all.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here's hoping it works out well. I had to upgrade to Win10 Pro 2 years ago, and I'm very comfortable with it now. Of course, I bought it new, not refurbished, but I can't imagine a source like Amazon putting something like that up for sale if it wasn't working well when they tested it.