• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just popping in.....

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Just coming in to say hello to you all and let you know, yes, I'm still alive. Well, barely....
My muscles hurt all over. I'm feeling muscles I never thought I had.
We're busy renovating our home away from home but I thought I'd start cleaning up our appartment. All by myself. Some fresh paint, some new wallpapering, you know. I figured if I take it slow and stick to a comfortable pace I'd be fine. But no matter how slow and comfortable I keep things, I still have humongous muscle pains at the moment from cleaning the floor up yesterday.
I am on a budget with this so I thought I'd keep the old linoleum and give it it just an oldfashioned thorough cleaning the way it's done best, by hand. O mother......
It's done and the floor never looked so clean, all the dirt was on me afterwards and my knees and arms are killing me. I thought I earned myself a little something so I decreased my looooooong, very looooooong wishlist here a bit.
Anyhew, taking today of and hope you are all doing fine!
Hugz and kisses.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
It was needed though, this keeps the linoleum presentable for another 5 years at least. It good quality linoleum so this will save me money. Dit take today off thoigh.
Tomorrow I'll sandpaper all the wood, wash it again so I can paint it.
You know, being dragged along to help dad all my youth really pays of now

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I couldn't wash the floor on my hands and knees, since my knees are arthritic, just kneeling on the floor for a couple of minutes would be extremely painful. Doing it long enough to get my dinette and kitchen floors cleaned that way would be excruciating. I think I'll stick to my sponge mop.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
No way Earl, I never volunteer for hard chores like that. My Mam tries to make me do some and I do it all wrong deliberately so she has to show me a few times. Then I still do it wrong again and we argue, so she gives in and does it herself. She gives in to me more than she does to my brothers because she thinks I'm hard work and they are more easy to order around. Also I'm her only daughter which I think is a bonus point, which is why she is letting me get another tattoo soon (my brothers aren't allowed tattoos yet) as a birthday gift.

eclark1894

Visionary
No way Earl, I never volunteer for hard chores like that. My Mam tries to make me do some and I do it all wrong deliberately so she has to show me a few times. Then I still do it wrong again and we argue, so she gives in and does it herself. She gives in to me more than she does to my brothers because she thinks I'm hard work and they are more easy to order around. Also I'm her only daughter which I think is a bonus point, which is why she is letting me get another tattoo soon (my brothers aren't allowed tattoos yet) as a birthday gift.
Well, you should let me speak to your mum. I know how to make you do it right the first time. Of course, you're a little older now, so she should've started when you were younger and it wouldn't be an issue now. But getting it wrong would only make me make it your permanent job because you obviously need all the practice you can get until you get it right.:sneaky:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
They will be stiffer tomorrow after you sandpaper all the woody bits. :)

O I know. :)

I did feel like I was in an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs while I was cleaning the floor. I expected Hudson to pop around the corner any minute saying "Haven't you finished yet! Look sharp now me girrl!"
LOL

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well ... it's never too late, Bonnie!

Being the only and oldest daughter with three brothers, I was absolutely adamant I would never expect my daughter to do anything my sons were not expected to do. Or ... put another way, regardless of gender, they would be expected to learn and do the same chores. Help with dinner, do dishes, laundry, iron (well ... maybe not that since I think ironing is evil and haven't ironed anything in decades), dust, clean, whatever. The only reason one might not be expected to do a specific chore would be they were too young.

Sadly, I only had a son and no daughter. (May he always eat on chipped dishes as much of my out of stock stoneware ended up with chips from his carelessness loading the dishwasher)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Sadly, I only had a son and no daughter. (May he always eat on chipped dishes as much of my out of stock stoneware ended up with chips from his carelessness loading the dishwasher)

That's another thing, we don't have a dishwasher. I don't know anyone who has, they don't seem very popular here in Ireland and we have to wash the dishes by hand! That's enough work for me, so I put my foot down for everything else. :D

eclark1894

Visionary
You know girls aren't the only ones who get taught to do things they have no interest in. My mother taught me how to sew, iron clothes, clean the bathroom, mop the floor, wash clothes, wash the dishes and cook dinner. At the time these were things the average boy had no interest in learning. Thing is, I've found these skills enormously valuable as I've grown older. So much so that if I did have kids, ( I don't) Boy or girl, I'd teach them how to do everything. That includes teaching my daughter how to do traditional "boy" things like working on her car changing spark plugs (relatively simple), changing oil and filters. and changing tires. I'd also teach her when to just take the car to a shop and let the mechanics do everything.

Hornet3d

Wise
You know girls aren't the only ones who get taught to do things they have no interest in. My mother taught me how to sew, iron clothes, clean the bathroom, mop the floor, wash clothes, wash the dishes and cook dinner. At the time these were things the average boy had no interest in learning. Thing is, I've found these skills enormously valuable as I've grown older. So much so that if I did have kids, ( I don't) Boy or girl, I'd teach them how to do everything. That includes teaching my daughter how to do traditional "boy" things like working on her car changing spark plugs (relatively simple), changing oil and filters. and changing tires. I'd also teach her when to just take the car to a shop and let the mechanics do everything.

I was brought up the same way but strangely it was my father that taught me to do most of that. His intention was I may never marry and being able to cope for myself was a must all my brothers were brought up the same way. Although I am married it has been a blessing particularly when I was working in Sweden for two years, most of the time on my own.

My grandfather was a real jack of all trades and as a kid I used to help out (more hinder I guess) but it means I can deal with the odd paining job or electrical/plumbing emergency.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I was taught by mother to do all the housekeeping, and my father hauled me along on on his repair jobs (for pay) where we did plumbing or carpentry or whatever. All the skills are useful still. Both sets. Since I'm mostly the one who does all the cleaning or repairing around here.

And yes, I have cleaned floors by hand, usually with a harsh cleaner and a scrub brush before sanding to put varnish down. Real pain, but had to be do to get the floor so it wasn't all over stickers and rough bits. It was uncleanable by mop. And the floor of the room my mother was in after her stroke was ... unsanitary ... and had to have the harsh cleanser to remove more than ordinary dirt.
I wore gloves and a face mask and had knee pads to protect my knees. Not sure I could do that now, but managed it then. (30s or 40s then, so much younger.)