• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is it possible to make a zipper actually work in Poser?

eclark1894

Visionary
Let me be clear... I'm NOT talking about a morph. I mean rigging a prop or figure in such a way as to have the zipper actually move up or down and close or open?

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
IMG_7308.JPG

Yes, it is. Paul rigged Dusk's Bomber Jacket - A HiveWire 3D Creation by Christopher Creek Art, CGCubed, and Lisa's Botanicals to do just that. I think it was a series of morphs combined with rigging that made some sort of chain that allows realistic movement. I know it's possible but I don't know how it's done.

English Bob

Adventurous
Until I saw that bomber jacket, I'd have said "no - but you can fake it". I made these a long time ago using geometry switching:

Nancy Boots 3

There are five stages of zipped-ness controlled by a single dial on each boot. I made the alternate geometries using Poser 5's cloth room, although the resulting boots work in Poser 4.

Going by what it says on the product page, Dusk's jacket uses a series of morphs controlled by a master dial to achieve the same end. You're right to say that you don't want morphs as such, because they have to be either 0 or 1. The intermediate settings are no use. That was why I used geometry switching - I believed it was the best solution in the days of Poser 4.

Nowadays Poser's (and DAZ's) rigging systems allow you to switch between a series of morphs that are only ever zero or full on. I don't have the Dusk jacket, but I can imagine how it's done in broad terms; which is another way of saying that I don't feel qualified to instruct someone else how to do it. :) I'm not up to speed on the latest rigging methods.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I seem to recall zipped biker jacket for V4 by Nerd3D from years back that appeared to have a functioning zipper in its promos. So if it isn't truly possible, it's fakeable.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I would have thought this was impossible. Leave it up to the brilliance that is HiveWire3d to pull it off though! Now I want that jacket!

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just bought Dusk's bomber jacket. Zipper does work! That's incredible!

Nerd3D

Motivated
Contributing Artist
And just FYI the zippers on the Bike Gurl Stuff uses several steps of cascading morphs. That stuff was all done using conventional (deltaAddDelta) type dependencies. THe more modern opKey type dependency would make this about 10 million times easier to create. The Bike Gurl stuff has ... um I think it's 4 or 5 "steps" in the zipper. They are close enough together to fake it. The zipper pull uses some voodoo and sacrificed pixels to _not_ swap the geometry. There's actually a different set of polys pull for each stage of the zip. They trade places to appear and disappear as the zipper moves up. Stupid tricks in Poser 101

eclark1894

Visionary
And just FYI the zippers on the Bike Gurl Stuff uses several steps of cascading morphs. That stuff was all done using conventional (deltaAddDelta) type dependencies. THe more modern opKey type dependency would make this about 10 million times easier to create. The Bike Gurl stuff has ... um I think it's 4 or 5 "steps" in the zipper. They are close enough together to fake it. The zipper pull uses some voodoo and sacrificed pixels to _not_ swap the geometry. There's actually a different set of polys pull for each stage of the zip. They trade places to appear and disappear as the zipper moves up. Stupid tricks in Poser 101

Charles! You're alive!!!!;)