• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is anyone else doing SculptJanuary?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not familiar with this, so I'm assuming it's a Facebook only group. I'm taking a Blender class at Udemy, and we'll be getting into sculpting about half-way through. I've only tried sculpting once with Sculptris, and wasn't very happy with it, so hopefully I'll like it better when I learn how to do it with Blender.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I'm not familiar with this, so I'm assuming it's a Facebook only group. I'm taking a Blender class at Udemy, and we'll be getting into sculpting about half-way through. I've only tried sculpting once with Sculptris, and wasn't very happy with it, so hopefully I'll like it better when I learn how to do it with Blender.
Yes and no. So the main place people are posting is on Facebook, but no, this is something that's been done for a few years now as a significant event in the Blender community. Possibly in the 3D community in general? I found out about it on YouTube, by listening to Zacharias Reinhardt speech from this year's annual Blender Conference.

I think if you didn't like Sculptris, you might not like Blender Dyntopo sculpting much. IIRC, they added it about when the guy who created Sculptris open sourced his code, and it works pretty much the same way. Just like sculpting with the Multires modifier is deliberately a lot like using Zbrush with subdivision levels. I'd say the most frequently referenced commercial tools are Zbrush and Maya, and that the Blender team deliberately looks to Zbrush when they want to think about how sculpting should work. That said, Substance Painter is quick becoming a reference, so we'll see where that goes. Mind, Zbrush just has smoother, cleaner strokes. I'm not sure what they do, but the physical act of sculpting is easier in Zbrush. That said, Blender's sculpt mode is _way_ more usable. You go into sculpt mode, you choose a brush from a set of thumbnails, you set pretty obvious options (which is optional, you can just start with everything on default), and you go to town.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, once I get to that part of the course I'm sure I'll understand it better. With Sculptris it was just hit or miss, as I didn't have any tutorials to follow.

That said, I'm not sure I'll really get into sculpting, it's just something I'd like to try. Thanks for the links, as I'll check them out.