• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Iray Server Render tests

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Just a note to mention my first tests of iray server on amazon web services (cloud computing) are done
AWS Iray Server Rendering - Digi-Dotz 3D
http://www.digi-dotz.com/index.php/digidotz-blog/172-aws-iray-server-rendering
Happy to report Daz Studio's network rendering is enabled in Daz Studio 4.9.3 and working well
I still have the higher powered GPU tests to do ...although i wont do the highest as it costs a bomb ;-)

So far I think its a great option if you need a higher powered machine eg. my pc cant even render certain scenes

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Good, and you can try Iray Server free.
But what I'd like to see is comparing Iray renders with MentalRay renders - DS can save mi scenes :)
And yearly price is the same.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
no more noisy fans an lock-up during rendering ;-)
Well, I'll probably use it myself when doing promo's as last time it took ages rendering on my old pc

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Price is the question.
For example, 4k HQ render in Cycles can take up to 16h on Google and about 10$. 20$ or more for Poser/SF for the need of paid OS.
But I tend to think that Daz promos underrendered :) and use at least 4 /100% as final qualty setting in Iray.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Price is the question, I will try to make sense of it later after a few more tests, I've been using spot price instances so way cheaper than "on demand"
Just tested the larger GPU instances available

I am nearing my budget limit for this month though:cry:

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Google has preemptible (basicly can be killed without notice) instances, can be good for CPU rendernode. ~0.20/h for 24 cores/21Gb (custom type machine).
If you didn't work with google cloud before they give you 300$ testdrive credits for 2 month.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I have just signed up with ....the google. The Console is nicer. Its limited to 8 vCpu during the trial, which is fine to install things and even test 3delight rendering maybe, although still not sure what exactly a vCPU equals -half a cpu core?

On the AWS pricing front -who is good at mathematics to work out the best deal?
The results.....

G2.2xlarge = $0.13 per hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 21 minutes
G2.8xlarge = $0.49 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 7 minutes
c4.8xlarge = $1.58 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 10 minutes
P2.xlarge = $0.29 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 8 minutes
p2.8xlarge = $8.67 per Hour (On Demand) Render Time - 1 minutes

p2.xlarge:unsure: maybe the question doesnt make sense

Last edited:

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I have just signed up with ....the google. The Console is nicer. Its limited to 8 vCpu during the trial, which is fine to install things and even test 3delight rendering maybe, although still not sure what exactly a vCPU equals -half a cpu core?
Probably just refers to a single processor core; an AMD octal would be 8 CPU, a HyperThreaded Xeon octal would be 16 CPU. But I'm just guessing.
That's the way Vue, Lux, and Task Manager reckon CPU count. It's a misnomer, but a commonly encountered misnomer.

On the AWS pricing front -who is good at mathematics to work out the best deal?
The results.....

G2.2xlarge = $0.13 per hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 21 minutes => 4.55 cents
G2.8xlarge = $0.49 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 7 minutes => 5.72 cents
c4.8xlarge = $1.58 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 10 minutes => 26.3 cents
P2.xlarge = $0.29 per Hour (Spot Instance) Render Time - 8 minutes => 3.87 cents
p2.8xlarge = $8.67 per Hour (On Demand) Render Time - 1 minutes => 14.4 cents

That would be the cost for the stated render time at the stated rate, if I understand you correctly.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I think so :giggle:

So although every render scene and size will be different, using this benchmark and as you pay per hour even if render takes 1 minute

G2.2xlarge - best for single renders if they fit on a 4GB GPU
P2.xlarge - Renders requiring 4Gb -12Gb GPU
P2.8xlarge - Rendering lots of jobs in a rush, requiring 4Gb -12Gb GPU
C4.8xlarge - Renders that wont fit 12GB GPU's can use vCpu's

;):cool::unsure:....:giggle: