• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

In search of UK Police car

English Bob

Adventurous
I'm looking for a recent UK police car, the livery with the blue and yellow squares such as this: File:Sussex RPU BMW.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

So far all I've found is a set of add-on textures for Simon-3D's My Van, although I really wanted a car. I found some free 3D models, but everything has been in a format I can't use such as Sketchup, or of dubious quality (missing textures!), or from dubious sites. I hope someone can point me to something better.

In order of preference (assuming I even have a preference!) I'd be looking for:
  1. Textures for a rigged Poser model that I own already
  2. Textures for a rigged Poser model that I'd have to buy, if it wasn't too expensive
  3. A 3D model or static prop that includes the authentic textures (free for preference)
I don't mind if the car is left-hand drive, as long as it's a UK model.

Failing all that, I'll make a texture set myself, probably for 2nd_World's 4 door sedan - I've already mirrored that to make a RHD version. I'd just rather avoid the work if possible. :)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
upload_2019-3-11_15-30-42.png

this one I impoted into Carrara

from DMI Car Models...

it's a Vauxhall

English Bob

Adventurous
Thanks! I got the Vectra and also the Volvo that was there. I'd forgotten about DMI.

Poser crashes completely if I import the LWO models directly, but I was able to convert them to OBJ via Carrara. It's produced a clean-looking mesh but it seems that I might have to sort out the materials myself - unless you have any tips for Carrara import / export? I'm a novice in that program. I'd normally tweak the materials anyway, so no big deal if I can't improve on matters there.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
what I do is after importing ( you end up with a totally blue object ) is enter the modelling room, untriangulate the model then select by domain name the windscreen ( it's french equivalent ) then exit... then I can apply the textures to the individual domains..
Takes a little while... probably 30 minutes to go through the textures adjusting ( light the lights ) depending how many there are.

as for poser, I don't use it, @Rae134 has exported one of my models for DS I think it was, maybe someone who has done it can comment.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm pretty sure when I used one of Stezza's models in DS I imported it as an Obj and I used iray shaders on the different mat zones. I didn't try it in Poser but I'd prob do the same (except using posers shaders of course lol) but I don't know Poser very well (just enough to load stuff and do an ok render :p)

English Bob

Adventurous
Thanks folks! I did end up with some of the materials in place in Carrara, but they'd disappeared again by the time it was in Poser. Poser's OBJ import is quite fussy. No matter; I have the maps, and my OBJs have material zones, so it's just a question of assigning materials and adjusting the scale. Preferably with Google Translate close to hand. I don't mind putting in the work in order to use something free. :)

English Bob

Adventurous
I had some time to work on the conversion, and the Vectra is approaching usability:

VectraPolice.jpg

I'll need to refine the materials for the lights, especially when they're not lit. In the end I had to remap the front and rear number plates, because for some reason the UV mapping didn't match the maps that were supplied, although the rest of the car was all right. I also had to rename any materials that had accented characters in their names: as I said, Poser is fussy about OBJ import.

The Volvo I got from DMI didn't fare as well, unfortunately. That appears to need either a complete re-map, or a complete re-texture, so I'm leaving that for another day. It would be nice to have some variety in my fleet, but I can work around that.

Thanks to all who helped.

English Bob

Adventurous
Thanks! It's good enough for background use, anyway; especially here, where I applied some motion blur. I want to show the car parked up later on, in relative close-up, so I'll need to refine the materials for that.

Riot.jpg