• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

In between leisure

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
There are a couple of free days coming up, well, for my spouse that is because we are starting a little experiment this little holiday. Since I do have to finish my own work aswell we are taking the laptop with us and see if it will work at our home away from home without blowing out the fuse box.
Some of you might wonder about that but fact is that one of our neighbours can't get the hang of it. Even though he's taken our advice of "not to many appliances at once", he still manages to blow out the fuses with just his fridge on.
We on the other hand are apparently able to use a leaveblower of 3200 watts, surprise-surprise. :roflmao::whistling:

Anyhew, I'll be working offline because I have to figure out the best way to get my wifi over there. The one from the campsite is a bit wonky. Esspecially when there are alot of guests using it.
This will become my future office over there by the way. I allready gave instructions on how to renovate it for me LOL

Prieel01.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh wow, Pommie!

That's really beautiful!!

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Thanks but it's not even finished yet! We want to re-create the base of it into a teahouse of some sort. Someone else in the park has done that and it is fabulous. But Twing says it will be the last project, at the end of this year we will do the bedroom first, then the bathroom.
I have earned the floor *she says with pride* :laugh:

McGyver

Energetic
That's pretty cool. I like the windows and little shelves on the supports.
It must be nice to sit in there on a rainy day, listening to the patter of the raindrops while doing work on your laptop.
I had a 12' x 12' tent "gazebo" similar to that.
It can get windy here, so I made concrete anchor blocks that the supports locked into, thinking it would hold...
I managed to keep it for two seasons until a sudden storm ripped it to shreds.
It left the supports and the anchor blocks though...
Mine wasn't as nice as yours and I was using it to work on big fountains that didn't fit in my shop.
I kinda miss the convenience of it, I didn't have to put stuff away for the night and I could work outside in the rain...
But it was sorta stupid of me to think it would last very long where we are, as the ocean is really close and the storms that come off it can have some pretty high winds.
Your mini cottage looks very cozy and I hope you enjoy every relaxing minute in there.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I will, it even has power and I have just thé perfect chandelier for it when it's done. I can't explain it in English what exactly we will do - my English isn't that good - but the endresult will be like a little house with a solid roof.
The sides are now made of a special tarp for party tents that stay outdoors whole year round. The extention on the caravan has it aswell, pretty expensive if you have to buy new. The base is metal and achored in the floor so it's good enough to re-create it with modern day materials. We will be using this composite - it's wood with a plastic veneer so you no longer have to paint it. There will be shutters and door. The ceiling inside will be made of wood panelling.
I'm experimenting with solar energy to add an extra power source. You have these mobile panels these days, still on the expensive side though.
But for now this will do just fine :laugh:

McGyver

Energetic
In the U.S. we have what sounds to be a similar material, that is used for the construction of wooden patio decks...
Or rather as a replacement for the wood parts...
It is made of polyethylene (usually HDPE) or sometimes PVC mixed with wood fibers (and oddly, some manufacturers use rice hulls too)... One brand name is TREX.
It is fairly heavy, so I'm guessing you might have/be using something perhaps thinner or meant for siding?
I've made a lot of things out of "alternative materials" (not to be confused with alternative facts), as I hate painting wood...
That and the sea air rots anything wood quickly here.
One material I've used is an extruded polycarbonate paneling material... In cross section it looks like a bunch of square tubes glued edge to edge...
The brand I used to get came in 4'x8'x 3/4" (1.22 m X 2.43 m X 1.9 cm) sheets, but the store that sold it went out of business and now the only brands I can find are really expensive and you have to order them online, which sucks for building supplies...
I like to go to a store and chose the ones without holes, cracks, chips and damage, unlike what online retailers loves sending you.
Really... I can't wrap my mind around people buying bananas online.
That and they make a terrible building material...
Especially if you have monkeys around...
The bananas... Not the polycarb paneling...
If you can find an equivalent of it in Holland and it's affordable, it's a very good material for small roofs... Around here most greenhouses use the clear version for roofing and side panels.
They make translucent gray and translucent bronze versions that are often used for skylights in warehouses or stores...
A lot better than clear, unless you want to roast chickens on the table.
But I'd imagine it's probably expensive there too.
Recently some of the big box DIY stores started carrying solid PVC paneling and boards, and if you use screws and construction adhesive, that can be be pretty strong... But also that can be fairly expensive too.
It really depends on your faith in the material, your familiarity with it and if the benefits outweigh the costs.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Alot of people use those composite parts on their caravans down here, it not only isolates and protects the caravan but changes the look into a small chalet-home. Nowadays they have it for all sort of purposes. Like for little 'garden-houses'.
We'll be using it also for creating a terras later on.

This weekend I'll be experimenting with the local wifi. I thought I might use theirs untill all construction is finished and I can create my own hotspot via my provider.