• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Need a New Computer.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, not brand new. I'm semi retired, so on a fixed budget. I want to buy a used or refurbished computer, but I want to get one that will run both Poser and Blender without any problems. I'm not really a computer game person, so I don't anticipate ever playing any on the computer. I had to look up Integrated Graphics just to find out what it was. Which leads me to my next question, which is better, a DEDICATED Graphics card or an Integrated Graphics? I'm also seeing a lot of i5, i7, i8, i3, and i4 followed buy 3rd and 4th generation Intel chips. I need a little help from anyone who can explain it in layman's terms.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Generally, onboard video (or "integrated graphics") is mediocre, capable of driving modest screen resolutions, and won't keep up with high refresh rates of contemporary games. A decent add-in GPU will allow for higher resolution and multiple monitors.

Buying used is a wise choice. My recommendation is to search Newegg and eBay for a *used* enterprise-grade workstation with two Xeon processors and a goodly amount of RAM. Use "2x X5670" as a search term, for example. A pair of the processors listed below will give you 24 render threads, which ain't shabby.
Westmere clockspeeds.PNG

If you find a good price on a workstation with dual 1366 sockets but it has two mediocre processors (L5520 is common), I'll send you a pair of the HyperThreaded hex-core CPUs.;)

Workstation chassis which would commonly have dual Westmere-series Xeons will be HP z600 (midtower), HP z800 (full tower), Dell T5500 (midtower), and Dell T7500 (full tower).

Last edited:

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Here's an example... Dell T5500 midtower, with dual X5670 Xeons and 48GB RAM. It includes a Win10 license (most used workstations and servers don't). $360 and $40 shipping. Connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and you're ready to go, with 24 render threads at your command.:cool:

My advice would be to clone the included hard drives to new hard drives (have a shop do that if you're uneasy about doing it yourself), since you don't know how much mileage is on the included hard drives. No need to worry about other components; workstation/server gear is more durable than consumer computer equipment.