• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I have to ask...

eclark1894

Visionary
Is 3Delight on the way out as Studio's default renderer?
Should I even bother to learn it now or tetxure items for it? It would save me a lot of work and bother to be honest.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hard to say Earl...lots of people still use 3Delight and there are some things I still find easier to do in 3delight than in Iray. You possibly could get away with texturing for just one of them. I only did 3Delight with Diva as I'm not really up on the Iray skin settings yet!

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm still planning to do a lot of texturing with image maps which seems to work pretty much the same no matter which renderer you use. But there are some materials, such as glass, metals, plastic, paint, skin and organic which all react differently to the light in different renderers. Even among PBR renderers.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Actually when you open DS Iray is the renderer chosen by "default", so I guess you could say 3delight is already out. Though it is still a popular option.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I'm doing some characters at the moment and using 3Delight as default because the shader/materials render well in 3Delight and Iray. If using iray materials as default and using 3Delight to render the result is ..not good

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I use both. If doing the 3Delight one still looks good in Iray, I'd do it that way.
You could always tweak them to work better in Iray later.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
There are things you just can't do with iRay but yes, iRay is now the default rendering engine. It's actually easy to 'downgrade' to 3Delight to make settings for it. Start off learning iRay, set up your materials and then when you want to make 3Delight settings just convert them to 3Delight surfaces by using the shaders found in the Shader folder under DAZ Defaults.

To make your work flow easier.... Right click on the top most one for the basic one and choose to Create Custom Action which will create a new drop down menu called Scripts. Then you can access that easily for converting iRay to 3Delight mats. If you want other DS Defaults in the Scripts just right click and do that for the ones you think you will need like Glossy and Plastic which will come in handy for surfaces that need more highlights.

ScreenHunter_194 May. 07 09.17.jpg
ScreenHunter_195 May. 07 09.17.jpg

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, since we those of you who already know something about DS shaders seem to be assembled here. . . Is there a way to adjust the UV scale of a normal map? Or just the scale, in Poser at least it's considered the UV scale your are adjusting. Basically the cloth I'm trying to use is way too big for Luna, so I need to get it to tile at a smaller size.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Not that I'm aware of. The Normal map will tile if you have a shader that can be tiled but if you have a set map there is no way, again, not that I'm aware of, to scale it larger or anything as it's a fixed map like any other.

Now again if you have a shader with square seamless maps and you have a Normal map plugged in too then yea, you can tile the heck out of it!

ScreenHunter_196 May. 07 11.44.jpg

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Select the drop down where the normal map slot is and select Image Editor. The individual map tiling is in there. This is the same for all of the maps, but some have more options depending on the map slot.

normals_tiling.PNG

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is 3Delight on the way out as Studio's default renderer?
Should I even bother to learn it now or tetxure items for it? It would save me a lot of work and bother to be honest.

To be honest, Iray is only practical for DS users if they have Nvidia cards. Those of us who do not, Iray is not a reasonable option. I render in 3Delight ONLY. I do not have an Nvidia card, and render tests on Iray - very simple setup, single figure, one hair object, one shirt, even with an experienced Iray user guiding me on render settings - it was 22 HOURS in and wasn't even CLOSE to done.

So... I would say on the subject of 3Delight... if you do not want to spend time setting up 3DL materials, then don't. Most of us who use 3Delight nowadays are accustomed to adjusting Iray mats for use in 3DL, I think. I do it all the time. Having Iray-only materials on something is not going to stop me from buying it - PROVIDED there are underlying TEXTURE maps on the materials.

If you DO decide to go Iray only on your materials, please, do us 3DL folks a favor? Just mention somewhere in the description of the products if the textures are image maps or if it is 100% procedural.

We are used to adjusting Iray materials to work for us in 3DL, but knowing at the start whether or not an Iray item is TOTALLY procedural textures, or whether it has underlying texture maps will help us immensely to know just how much fiddling we are going to have to do. I have sometimes bought procedural-only Iray items, but they take a LOT more work to adjust for use in 3DL than texture-map based Iray materials do.

So... if you only want to mess with Iray, I'd say go that way. We 3DL users are quite accustomed to adjusting Iray materials to render on our systems at this point. However, I would NOT say that 3DL is "on the way out" just yet, simply because Iray NEEDS a blasted Nvidia card to be worth it's time.

At 22+ hours for such a simple render, even with optimal render settings... it's literally NOT worth my time, no matter HOW nice the renders look. And I cannot change my videocard since I work on a laptop which has built-in video. I am not the only one in this sort of a position. There are quite a few of us in a similar position where Iray is just not practical for us to use.

But we CAN adjust Iray materials to work for us in 3DL if we need to, for the most part. Just knowing at the start whether something is Iray with texture maps base, or Iray with procedurals ONLY... this is a nice courtesy and tells us what we're getting and how much work we'll have to do to make it usable for us. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Select the drop down where the normal map slot is and select Image Editor. The individual map tiling is in there. This is the same for all of the maps, but some have more options depending on the map slot.

Oooh. So THAT'S where to do it for Normals. Thanks! I wish I'd known that a while ago! LOL

Ah, I learned something...

Yup. Me three! :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
22 hours! wow, not I don't feel so bad when mine go for 4 hours on my Tablet (it doesn't have a nvidia card either).
I must admit tho, they are usually only 1600 pixels big and I can't use most lights without it crashing, that's why I use HDRi's for lighting, they don't crash it but I can use emissives so go figure.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
22 hours! wow, not I don't feel so bad when mine go for 4 hours on my Tablet (it doesn't have a nvidia card either).
I must admit tho, they are usually only 1600 pixels big and I can't use most lights without it crashing, that's why I use HDRi's for lighting, they don't crash it but I can use emissives so go figure.

Yeeeah.... my test render was only 800 pixels. LOL I'll stick to making 3DL mats for my Iray stuff. :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I'ma nother one sticking with 3dl. I can use Iray, I do have a ok nvidia card, what I don't have is an oil well to drive the generator for the time needed, nor neighbours who would appreciate me trying.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nice one Vaskania! You can also do the same in Shader Mixer by setting up separate tiler bricks.