• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

how to move master dials in poser?

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I have created some master dials in poser which are linked to parts of the body. Now I would like to move or copy those dials to the 'body' proper to make finding them easier.

Anyone know how to do it without having to redo all the work of creating the dials? In DAZ this works very easily with ERC freeze... but is there something similar in Poser? Would it be possible to take over the script of the master dial from a bone into the masterdial of the 'body'?

English Bob

Adventurous
It's simple enough if you're happy editing the CR2? You can cut and paste the master dials to wherever you want them, then edit the controlled parameters to look for their controller in the new place.

There may be other ways, I tend to prefer the nuts 'n' bolts approach myself...

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
It's simple enough if you're happy editing the CR2? You can cut and paste the master dials to wherever you want them, then edit the controlled parameters to look for their controller in the new place.

There may be other ways, I tend to prefer the nuts 'n' bolts approach myself...
hm... going to look at this. Sounds like a plan but I will have to check the Cr2 files whether I can figure out what to do exactly. But it definitely looks like a fairly painless way to do it.

English Bob

Adventurous
I can point you in the right direction if you're up for doing it this way. It will help if you have a Poser file editor, but it's possible with a text editor if you're careful. Let me know what you have!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If you are using Poser 11, you only have to drag and drop the morph dial wherever you want it.

Doing so in PP14 corrupted ALL morphs. Though SM said they fixed that, the one time I corrupted every morph in a dress was the last time I tried THAT function! :)

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I can point you in the right direction if you're up for doing it this way. It will help if you have a Poser file editor, but it's possible with a text editor if you're careful. Let me know what you have!

well, I can't figure out how to drag and drop the dials... they only move within the same bone, so it looks as if I have to do it the hard way. I use sublime as editor so editing should be fairly ok. But I have no idea where to start and how to go about it. If you could help me there I'd be grateful

English Bob

Adventurous
Don't worry, I had the same problem. I got a little symbol next to the cursor which seemed to suggest the dial was being dragged, but I couldn't find anywhere that it would drop. It could be a Poser Pro feature?

Ok, just a brief overview of the text approach due to time pressures. I'm assuming you've delved about inside CR2s before, and know about stuff like keeping the opening and closing braces matched, and of course make a copy of whatever you work on in case it goes wrong!

Here's a value parameter dial, in this case from V4's Body channels. You could cut and paste it into the channel stack for any other actor.

valueParm SCLHeadSize
{
name HeadSize
initValue 0
hidden 0
forceLimits 1
min -0.5
max 1
trackingScale 0.004
keys
{
static 0
k 0 0
}
interpStyleLocked 0
}

And here's the scale section from V4's head, which is one of the parameters that SCLHeadSize controls.

scale scale
{
name Scale (xyz)
initValue 1
hidden 0
forceLimits 0
min 0.1
max 100000
trackingScale 0.004
keys
{
static 0
k 0 1.05
}
interpStyleLocked 0
valueOpDeltaAdd
Figure 1
head:1
SCLHeadSize
deltaAddDelta 1.000000
}

The valueOpDeltaAdd section is the part that does the work:

head tells it where to look for its controller - change this for the name of the body part where you've moved the master dial.

SCLHeadSize is the controller's identifier - note that this is the part after the valueParm statement and can be different from the name on the dial, as it is in this example.

Of course, in the usual case where one master controls several actors, you would make the change in every affected actor to make sure they all look in the right place for their controller.

There are many more permutations, but I'll avoid over-complicating things at this stage!

Sorry this is brief, but let me know if it helps - and if it doesn't, where I can explain further.

English Bob

Adventurous
It sure helped.

I'm glad to hear it! Re-reading what I wrote today, I can see the example I chose isn't ideal. The V4 CR2 I used is one that I'd saved back to the library so it isn't what you'd see if you opened V4 out of the box - but no matter, since I take it your project isn't connected with V4 anyway.

Let me know how you get on, in any case.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I seem to be missing something here. If all you want is to create a master dial on BODY, just use Poser's built-in Dependency Editor. This is the equivalent of "freeze ERC" from DS, and doesn't require dragging dials or editing CR2 files. This would be the "proper" way to create a master dial in Poser.