• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How to create a metal shader

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So I'm in Poser 11. I released a nice set of basic shaders over at the 'Rosity freebie section found here:

Basic Shader Pack for Poser

Next step is to make some metallic shaders. What I'm doing and why I'm doing this is to gain knowledge of how things work in the Material room in Poser BUT I do NOT like the reflect node so was hoping for another way around getting a nice metallic shader built!

Any help in understanding this better?

Thanks so much!

Richard

caisson

Admirable
Contributing Artist
I like to use the Physical Surface root node. Set Metallic to 1, then the reflections will be coloured by whatever is in the Colour bit. The appearance of the reflections will be affected by any bump or normal map, but also by the Roughness. A low value like 0.05 will give tight and bright highlights with sharp reflections, a high value like 0.9 will make the highlights much softer and spread out, and the reflections will be very blurry. Once you start using maps or procedurals as well you can get a lot of different looks quite easily.

Superfly as I don't really use Firefly any more (it works, just doesn't look as good) -

gold1 mat.jpg
gold1.png
gold2 mat.jpg
gold2.png

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thank you so much. OK. I'll go that route. Same question over at 'Rosity and the person ignored that I don't care for the reflect node and posted what I already knew! LOL Every little bit helps but there is just something about that node that just seems "off" to me. This looks more like what I'm wanting to create. :)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Late to the party, but this is what I start with for metals; ks_microfacet for Firefly, PhysicalSurface root set to metallic for Superfly.
dual root metal - chrome.PNG

Metals depend on the glossy settings, so give those a few samples and bounces:
Superfly metal render settings.PNG

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thank you so so much! Yea, Physical Surface is my go too these days but I did run into some issues with the metallic with some of the shaders I made. I used Ohki's base and then went from there but then had to add a map to get the hilites just right.

PS Hilites is how us hairdressers spell out that. It's easier and on a busy set of books doesn't take up as much room as Highlights.