• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire To Support Poser 10/Pro 2014 And DAZ Studio 4.10 And Above

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Alisa, does this mean then that if and when Dawn 2.0 comes along she will NOT work in version 9 or below that in DS version 4.8?

Well, yes and no - as Chris said
Newly created HiveWire content may still work in Poser versions older then Poser 10/Pro 2014, but HiveWire will not be testing our content in older versions, and will not guarantee that any new HiveWire content will perform properly in versions earlier then Poser 10/Pro 2014.

The only thing that works in DS 4.8 that didn't in 4.6 is Iray, so that's sort of a non-issue.

Come to think if it, is Dawn SE version 2.0?

No, Dawn SE is not version 2.0 :) SE is Special Edition - which has some enhancements from Dawn SR2

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I think it's a smart decision.

Wondering out loud though... so by the end of July when the Big Cats are released us published artists can then start making stuff that supports the above mentioned versions of Poser and DAZ Studio?

As I mentioned, you can do that now - you always COULD :). We've never had a requirement that things work in lower versions. Just be aware that the current versions of Dawn, Dusk & Baby Luna DO work in those lower versions, when creating content.

Alisa, I'm guessing you were referring to me about 4.9 content. I always keep the most up to date versions of DAZ Studio and Poser on board so if things are not backwards compatible I apologize. If there were a way to keep earlier versions of DAZ Studio like 4.7 on board along side of 4.9 I'd do that but it's not so I don't! lol

No, yours work fine in 4.8. However, there are a few products by another CA created in DS 4.9 that have issues in 4.8. We don't know why, but we labeled them clearly on the product page as requiring DS 4.9. Nothing to apologize about in any case.

I know the only way to keep multple 4.x DS versions is on separate computers.

However -even if a CA doesn't own/have lower versions on their computers, you can find beta testers who have lower versions available. If you choose to set the version options lower than DS 4.8/Poser 10/Pro2014 you MUST have your beta testers check in lower version.

We have both DS 4.8 and 4.9 available in our QAV team.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I am a 4.7 user, so this is heartbreaking for me. I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE. I want nothing to do with Iray or learn the new platform. And I was so excited for the new HW animals, too.

Willow, as far as I know, the ONLY thing that is different in DS 4.8 vs 4.7 is Iray. DS 4.8 was not a new platform...though DS 4.9 IS.

I don't think there will be any issues with you using the new animals.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the heads up Chris. I think it's a smart decision.

Wondering out loud though... so by the end of July when the Big Cats are released us published artists can then start making stuff that supports the above mentioned versions of Poser and DAZ Studio?

Alisa, I'm guessing you were referring to me about 4.9 content. I always keep the most up to date versions of DAZ Studio and Poser on board so if things are not backwards compatible I apologize. If there were a way to keep earlier versions of DAZ Studio like 4.7 on board along side of 4.9 I'd do that but it's not so I don't! lol

I have both 4.8 and 4.9 installed on the same machine, I had 4.0 installed, too, for a while. So, it can be done, you just have to change the folder where you install it and then make sure everything points to the right place.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, Miss B, assuming you're right about Dawn SE being 2.0, I agree that version 3.0 is a while off yet.
Well Alisa responded that Dawn SE isn't 2.0, but that doesn't mean there will be a newer version any time soon.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also bet Dawn 2.0 isn't even in the horizon by now. Her Anime version (Sora) is still in the making and didn't even come out yet.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If there were a way to keep earlier versions of DAZ Studio like 4.7 on board along side of 4.9 I'd do that but it's not so I don't! lol
Like Dakorillon said, it is possible. I was having problems with the earlier version of 4.9 and I'd had a copy 4.8 backed up and if you install them in different folders they both work on the same machine.

I am a 4.7 user, so this is heartbreaking for me. I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE. I want nothing to do with Iray or learn the new platform. And I was so excited for the new HW animals, too.
I haven't used 4.9 yet so I can't comment on that as I know it is a bit different than 4.8 but you don't have to change anything about the way you work in 4.7 in 4.8. You don't need to use Iray at all, it still has 3Delight (I use both depending on what I want my art to look like).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't know about 4.8 and 4.9, but I know I tried with my DS 4.0 Pro and a beta DS 4.1, which recognized DUF, and even though I had them in separate folders, the DS 4.1 was giving me some problems. They weren't major problems, but still annoying problems.

I don't know if you can run DS from a thumb/flash drive, but if it works, and you can direct your content there rather than on your hard drive, that may work. Some software apps actually have "portable" versions for just that purpose. DS doesn't have a portable version, so I'm not sure how it would work.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Miss B, I run my DS 4.8 from an External HD without any problems as I work on a Windows Surface so don't have much HD space. It might be the reason I have problems with 4.9 tho as it wants to install everything on the HD and I haven't really had a chance to look into how to change it (but I haven't felt the need to look further either as I'm happy with 4.8 at the mo, will look further if/when I get a proper desktop computer) :)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist

Would it be an imposition to ask you why you feel so strongly about not upgrading? It's always helpful to understand those barriers better. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear more about your concerns regarding DS 4.8 and higher.

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
Willow, as far as I know, the ONLY thing that is different in DS 4.8 vs 4.7 is Iray. DS 4.8 was not a new platform...though DS 4.9 IS.

I don't think there will be any issues with you using the new animals.

Unfortunately, though, I won't be able to just download 4.8. I'll HAVE to download 4.9 if I want any of these animals, and I am simply not willing to do that.

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
Would it be an imposition to ask you why you feel so strongly about not upgrading? It's always helpful to understand those barriers better. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear more about your concerns regarding DS 4.8 and higher.

Initially, when I first tried 4.8, it TOTALLY SCREWED my system up, costing me thousands of dollars between repairs and lost wages (I use Daz for my living). And not having a want or need for Iray, it just seemed needless to mess with it again. Then Daz came out with 4.9, which is VERY different, meaning I'd need to adapt ONCE AGAIN to a new Daz platform, all for Iray, which I still have no interest in.

It's just frustrating because this is not the only instance where I am being pushed to upgrade for features I don't want just so I can use the figures or plugins I do want.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Willow - you are NOT likely to see any issues with using 4.7 for upcoming products. As noted, the main change from 4.7 to 4.8 was the addition of Iray, so you just won't be able to use any included Iray settings (as is the case with current products).

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
Willow - you are NOT likely to see any issues with using 4.7 for upcoming products. As noted, the main change from 4.7 to 4.8 was the addition of Iray, so you just won't be able to use any included Iray settings (as is the case with current products).

Then I must have misunderstood the thread.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Just a heads up for anyone using categories...4.9 doesn't mark the folders as new anymore. They have reduced the functionality in categories...I haven't moved backwards to 4.8 as I really want the ability to split morphs.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Initially, when I first tried 4.8, it TOTALLY SCREWED my system up, costing me thousands of dollars between repairs and lost wages (I use Daz for my living). And not having a want or need for Iray, it just seemed needless to mess with it again. Then Daz came out with 4.9, which is VERY different, meaning I'd need to adapt ONCE AGAIN to a new Daz platform, all for Iray, which I still have no interest in.

It's just frustrating because this is not the only instance where I am being pushed to upgrade for features I don't want just so I can use the figures or plugins I do want.

Whoa. I hadn't heard about any problem that severe before. It crashed my system several times, and I've heard of many people having huge stability problems with DS in general, but I've never heard of someone's system being permanently damaged. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm, I am still using DS 4.8 and over here it has been more stable than Poser. For the record, 4.9 has introduced "morph splitting", but I-Ray is already present in 4.8. One of the most common causes for crashes in both Poser and DS is the video card driver, and this is affected in different ways depending on what hardware you have installed. For example, I used to have serious crashes and system wide freeze-ups with Poser 6 and 7, even when I was using a widely mainstream video card from nVidia. Those problems were resolved in Poser 8, especially from 9 on. But I still hear of instability issues with people using ATI hardware or video adapters embedded into the motherboard. This last one tends to yield the worst results, and is more prone to crashes and general OpenGL instability. Embedded adapters tend to ship with oddball drivers from unknown companies, sometimes not even signed. It's not uncommon when embedded video adapters don't even have a manufacturer brand, and ship with generic drivers.

There is also the fact that OpenGL has some rather "loose" standards depending on the video card manufacturer, so compatibility is claimed but in some cases do not match a 100%. This has always been a major cause for random crashes in both Poser and DS. Just run a simple test - if you disable OpenGL acceleration in Poser or DS, and the crashes stop, there you have your culprit. Solution? Try updating your video drivers, and if that doesn't do it, consider a new video card. Preferably a dedicated (not embedded) one.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I checked out the morph splitting. Not sure about how to use it. There is a Mirror Morph option built in but other than that the split thing... I'm not seeing it in the drop down options for that area. I was excited to read about it. Perhaps there will be a YouTube tutorial from Josh Darling on how to do that.

Spoke too soon! lol

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the link Ram...I had seen it but forgot to bookmark it. I was able to play with selecting the vertices yesterday but couldn't remember what to do next. So when I get back from the shops and have tested some poses, I will be trying this out...

Riccardo

Adventurous
It seems that I am the only one along with @WillowRaven not to be happy about this announcement. I can understand WillowRaven since I am used to work with old software and hardware. I also build websites and I always try hard to make them as backward compatible as possible: I know that when people refuse to upgrade (their browser, in this case), sometimes they do not want, sometimes they cannot; there can be a lot of possible reasons for that.
Now, since my current 3D content reading apps are...
- Poser 9 (do not know it, I'm a newbie)
- Daz Studio 2, 3 (I like and use it), 4.9 (I do not like it)
- Carrara 6, 8.5 (my favourite)
... I will probably find really few new products I can buy (not only here).
I understand the needs of a (small?) company like Hivewire, so I would not expect to find stuff designed for Carrara, but I'm sad to see flying away my hope of seeing products at least tested for a broader compatibility.
But again, I understand your move as a company if this is allowing you to go on better.