• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help with Geometry editor

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I'm trying to create new surfaces with the Hivewire Cougar. Everything is fine on the left side, but as soon as I select anything on the right side, random polys start getting selected all over the place and I can't delete them without deleting the whole selection.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, can you make surface areas for just the left side and then mirror them?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Depends on how your going about it Desert. You have the option to turn on Symmetry and that usually works. Also make sure you turn your figure in the viewport so your not accidentally selecting other parts as this tool is extremely sensitive.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Thank you for your replies.
What I was trying to do is treat the cat like the clothes objects I have where you can create new surface areas in the geometry editor and then add separate shaders to each area. So I could add bone and scales but be able to tile them seperately as the surfaces on the head are so much smaller than those on the body.

I used control 8 for the wire view. I could select and rename everything fine on the right side of the cat- but as soon as I went across the middle or picked anything on the left side- random selections happened all over the place.

How do you turn on the symmetry in this tool Ramwolf?

Did a quick image to show an example of using symmetry in the Geometry Editor. I selected the Symmetry option on the left, and set the resolution to base on the right. As you can see on the figure, the selections are exactly the opposite (symmetrical), right down to the ones that shouldn't have been selected.

Geometry_Editor.png

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
Turning off the sub d did the trick!!
Thank you so much for your help!
And thank you for the screen shot, Daywalker, that helps too