• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Heads-up on a potentially useful product

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I was in need of a sliding glass patio door for an interior, in one of the illustrations for my current project. It needed to be something for a generic, contemporary apartment. With a balcony.

Found a load of urban fire escapes, and stone balconies for historic architecture, or things attached to buildings with no interiors. Plus a handful of ultra-modern sliding glass doors with no hardware, to patios with swimming pools.

Finally, I found exactly what I was looking for in Rendo's clearance section. It's called Virtual Room, and it is potentially an *extremely* useful set. It not only has my door, and *exactly the kind of balcony I was looking for, but every room (and it includes living room, bath, kitchen, and entry) includes things like the wall and floor vents, smoke alarms, electrical and phone outlets, light switches, window screens, as well as a set of nicely generic late 20th century middle income furniture for the rooms specified. And exterior walls if you need to look in a window, or walk through the front door.

And. You can reposition the doors in the walls. There are morph sliders and you can just slide the door to where you need it. Everything seems to be nicely rigged for scene setup. And it's an old enough product to be trivially useful for both major programs. Just add your own materials if the options included don't suit.

There are some minor drawbacks. Everything comes into Studio with the default lighting mode of Plastic, and the matt zones aren't given decent names. Everything is a pseudo-inteligible gibberish of acronyms. And the walls come in as sets for the original layout. They are grouped props, so you don't have to keep them all, but if you want a specific wall you usually have to bring in a roomset and then delete what you don't need. And of course, all the props come in where they needed to be for the original layout, rather than zeroed. But, like I say, minor.

It's in clearance, so there is no telling how long it will be there, but you may want to check it out and see if it would be of use. It certainly has enough useful bits to be worth considering.

English Bob

Adventurous
That's a very versatile set, even for the original price, thanks for mentioning it! (Its name is Virtuaroom for anyone who's having trouble searching for it).

One drawback I can think of with the morphs which reposition the doors and windows is that the UV mapping of the wall will be stretched on one side and compressed on the other. As long as you don't use wallpaper and stick to magnolia emulsion it should be fine. ;) But as I said, for the price I can live with that. There's always space for more rooms in my library, since I don't want all my characters to live in identical houses.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And now I'm going to ask a question; who here never heard of FreedomofArt website? [Freedom Of Art - Home page]

Somebody posted an image in one of the DAZ forums last month which featured a fabulous helmet. People asked about it and were directed to Freedom of Art.

There is some spectacular stuff on that site. Most of it Poser specific, and some of it sounds a little difficult to use, but a lot of the older stuff can also be used in Studio. There are even a few Dawn morphs if you go back far enough. But most of the stuff is still for V4. Most of it isn't all that expensive either.

And; there are freebies. There are a few dozen which really are free to the public, all the time. But if you buy something from the site (it sends you to PayPal), you will get the passwords, good for a couple of weeks each, for a month's access to another freebie collection of close to 200 more items and most of them are gorgeous. Mostly either fantasy or science fiction oriented (lots of space ships), but some other things as well. Including rigged figures and vehicles.

I gather that there are sometimes time-limited freebies as well, so it sounds like it is worth checking in every few days to see what's been released.

eclark1894

Visionary
And now I'm going to ask a question; who here never heard of FreedomofArt website? [Freedom Of Art - Home page]

Somebody posted an image in one of the DAZ forums last month which featured a fabulous helmet. People asked about it and were directed to Freedom of Art.

There is some spectacular stuff on that site. Most of it Poser specific, and some of it sounds a little difficult to use, but a lot of the older stuff can also be used in Studio. There are even a few Dawn morphs if you go back far enough. But most of the stuff is still for V4. Most of it isn't all that expensive either.

And; there are freebies. There are a few dozen which really are free to the public, all the time. But if you buy something from the site (it sends you to PayPal), you will get the passwords, good for a couple of weeks each, for a month's access to another freebie collection of close to 200 more items and most of them are gorgeous. Mostly either fantasy or science fiction oriented (lots of space ships), but some other things as well. Including rigged figures and vehicles.

I gather that there are sometimes time-limited freebies as well, so it sounds like it is worth checking in every few days to see what's been released.

I believe that would be Summoner's website.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes, indeed. He does great stuff. A pity so much of it is Poser only.

I never heard of him until last month.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, indeed. He does great stuff. A pity so much of it is Poser only.

I never heard of him until last month.
Now you know how Poser users feel when they go to DAZ.:sneaky:

But seriously, I've never been a fan of DS even existing, however, I do understand WHY it came about. I just don't know why the developers were so keen on diverging the way things were done from Poser. I'd much prefer if DS and Poser were interchangeable.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, things were reasonably cross-compatible until the weight mapping issue drove a wedge into what had been a comparatively minor gap. Studio was missing a decent dynamic cloth system and couldn't use Poser procedural shaders, but I suspect that there were things in Studio that Poser users envied too.

I still happily buy and use Poser props and sets. But I'll stick wth Genesis series figures.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, things were reasonably cross-compatible until the weight mapping issue drove a wedge into what had been a comparatively minor gap. Studio was missing a decent dynamic cloth system and couldn't use Poser procedural shaders, but I suspect that there were things in Studio that Poser users envied too.

I still happily buy and use Poser props and sets. But I'll stick wth Genesis series figures.
Honestly, I'm not and never have been a figures guy. I like variety, and truth to tell all Daz figures, including V4 and A4 look pretty much alike to me. There seems to be a little more variety with the guys, but not much. And I don't know if it's a directive from DAZ or not, but it seems a little too coincidental that most of the vendors who are putting out new stuff for DS 4.10 are not putting anything in that Poser users can use, such as object files or textures sets. Oh well, probably been watching too much Coast 2 Coast AM.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
What is needed is a way for Poser to read .duf files. Because Studio uses .duf for *everything*. Except textures. Those are still usually .jpg.

After all, Studio can still read pretty much *all* of the Poser file types except .mt5. It *can't* be that difficult.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
What is needed is a way for Poser to read .duf files
It's enough for unrigged props if you add decent mat converter.
Smoothing and push modifiers have no counterparts in Poser. And without it, a lot of content from G1 upward would be crippled. it's the reason I use DSON plugin for props only in poser. If I want a figure, I pose in DS and export result as obj or convert it to a prop posed and dressed.