• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Happy St. David's Day!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I should have mentioned that somewhere!

Yes. Cymraeg is Welsh for ... Welsh!

Dydd gŵyl Dewi Hapus! is Welsh for Happy St. David's Day!

According to Welsh online, is pronounced Deethe goo-eel Dew-ww happ-iss (the dd sounds like th in the, a rather lispy th to me though. Or maybe a snake hissing th)

I've been learning Cymraeg through Say Something in Welsh. Which is actually rather amazing. Mind-numbing sometimes. But amazing.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
What inspired you to learn Welsh? It's so cool you are doing this! I have no talent for learning a second language. Welsh looks super complicated.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I too believed I had no talent for learning a second language. And, I've never been able to roll/trill rs. Which so many languages require.

Welsh is actually not all that complicated. It just looks like it to us English speakers. English is so much more complicated with all the strange ambiguous rules, and words that are spelled the same, but pronounced differently depending on what they mean. One could go on forever with how difficult it is to learn English ... even if it's your native language!

The Say Something in Welsh course (as do all the Say Something in <language> courses) involves you repeating simple English phrases in Welsh. Each week, you learn about a dozen new words, which are used in phrases. In addition, you repeat phrases you were introduced to in previous lessons. It's that speaking out loud part that locks it all into long-term memory.

The first few weeks, I thought I was never going to get it. I was never going to learn how to pronounce any Welsh words. I was never ever going to be able to roll my rs. I was wrong. Each time you hear the Welsh word pronounced correctly in the lesson, your mind recognizes the differences between what you said and what they said, and it tweaks your memory. Next thing you know, you're pronouncing the words correctly.

So, why did I decide to learn a new language? And why Welsh? We're not Welsh, at least as far as we know. I didn't know anyone in Wales. I'd never been to Wales. The first is a bit easier to answer.

Things got really difficult for me when my employer required us to return back to the office last July. I was able to get an ADA Accommodation to continue working from home. I went from having no migraines for the two years we worked remotely to having a migraine by midday each day I was required to be in the office. But mental health-wise? Yeah. It wasn't so good. One of the coping skills with stress, anxiety, depression, etc., is to do something new you've always wanted to do. Learn a new hobby. I'd always wanted to learn a new language, so ... why not? Apparently, quite a few people decided to learn a new language during the pandemic.

Why Welsh? Because I loved the sound of it. It's a beautiful language to listen to. Even with the ch ... which is pronounced just like the ch in the Scottish Loch (ch). That cat hacking up a hairball sound. Which I have amazingly learned how to make, but would die before making that sound in front of someone. I even somehow have learned to roll rs ... sometimes.

I originally started with Duolingo in December. Then started the Say Something in Welsh course mid-January. For me, Say Something in Welsh is easier than Duolingo. Not that there's anything wrong with Duolingo. But all the typing that's required with Duolingo is annoying. Duolingo uses TTL, so while the pronunciation is often close, it's not the same as hearing a real person speaking Welsh.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I took 2 languages in high school, French and Spanish, but only continued with Spanish in college.

Of course, it's been so many decades since then, but there's a lot of folks (one of our doormen, and folks at the local supermarket) who speak the language natively, so I've often thought of taking a course to get me more into conversing in it. Unfortunately, for me, the hardest part was conversing, not reading, because I had to translate to English in my mind, and then translate my response into Spanish in my mind, so conversing was never easy. It took too long. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know. People and their publicity stunts!

How to Say the Name

It's a easier when it's broken down into it's parts. Which the page linked above does. Then it goes over each part and how to pronounce it.

LLAN - FAIR - PWLL - GWYN - GYLL - GO - GER - YCH - WYRN - DROB - WLL - LLAN - TY - SILIO - GO - GO - GOCH

But seriously ... who even ever says that for real?

eclark1894

Visionary
I took 2 languages in high school, French and Spanish, but only continued with Spanish in college.

Of course, it's been so many decades since then, but there's a lot of folks (one of our doormen, and folks at the local supermarket) who speak the language natively, so I've often thought of taking a course to get me more into conversing in it. Unfortunately, for me, the hardest part was conversing, not reading, because I had to translate to English in my mind, and then translate my response into Spanish in my mind, so conversing was never easy. It took too long. ;)
I used to work in a restaurant where one of the employees was Chinese. I was going to New York and wanted to visit Chinatown on Canal Street. He taught me to say a few words in Chinese so I could greet some of the shopkeepers in their native tongue. I don't know how to spell it, but I said Nihao to one shopkeeper and she seemed surprised.