• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Glitterati WIP for Dawn

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Another part of my Kit Bash Kit - Equestrian for Dawn
Equestrian.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's looking nice Traci.

Thanks, Miss B. A lot of rigging work to do yet, but I have finally added all the morphs to the Resource Kit and re-worked them.

Some of the morphs were a complete re-do, like this one - Bulk.

From here:
DawnResourceBulk.jpg

To here:
DawnResourceBulkCorrected.jpg

I'll post the RK as a MR for Hivewire CAs in the next day or two.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Lyne!

OK, now a question........

The helmet doesn't cover the back hairline, so I need to do something there, but I'm looking for suggestions. What I need there is a hairline like what is painted on Dawn in this character (Maraki) but I have no intention of re-texturing Dawn's head to get hair.

I tried the skull caps, and 3Dream's Master Skull Cap will work as long as the user turns off the displacement on it. Arki's Dragon Braid can be loaded for Dawn for a braid, ponytail or bun, but I'm not certain I should just leave it to the user owning that hair.

Ideas? Suggestions?

EquestrianHair.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Only thing I would like, is a morph/dial to enlarge the helmet (but not chin strap) a bit so I can fit whatever hair I have (like that bun hair I have with no bun applied).... is that possible?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Bet Sateria's Eton Crop would work with helmut as it is... So would Fabiana's Paris65 hair! 3Dream Luna UpDo with bun invisible works, fitted to Dawn. :)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Only thing I would like, is a morph/dial to enlarge the helmet (but not chin strap) a bit so I can fit whatever hair I have (like that bun hair I have with no bun applied).... is that possible?

Well, I tried that, and the helmet ended up looking awful. No resemblance to a helmet when morphed to fit hair. Sure, I can morph it. But, I can't morph it to look like a helmet over a "normal" hairstyle. If it's not just a really short hair, the helmet loses a resemblance to it's purpose. I just can't morph it to fit over "any" hair and it still look right.

Here, I morphed it to fit over the 3Dream Master Skull Cap, but I had to remove the displacement from the MSC.

EQHelmet-MSC.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've seen this handled two ways on products that I've bought. One is to provide hair as part of the product. April's Beanie Hair comes to mind. Another way is to create a product that has some morphs for a handful of hairs. The trouble then is which hairs to do.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would suggest Satira's Eton Crop hair as well, but not everyone has it. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Bet Sateria's Eton Crop would work with helmut as it is... So would Fabiana's Paris65 hair! 3Dream Luna UpDo with bun invisible works, fitted to Dawn. :)

Paris65 is definitely a no go. Too much hair and would distort the helmet badly. I don't have the Luna UpDo, so can't test that one.

I've seen this handled two ways on products that I've bought. One is to provide hair as part of the product. April's Beanie Hair comes to mind. Another way is to create a product that has some morphs for a handful of hairs. The trouble then is which hairs to do.

I thought about just modeling hair in with the helmet, but 1) I suck at hair trans maps and that would require real precision to get right, and 2) model hair with a bun? braid? ponytail?

I would suggest Satira's Eton Crop hair as well, but not everyone has it. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

I looked in the store for this hair but can't find it........link perhaps?

Thanks folks, very helpful.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Some hair products come with Hat Hair morphs, but not all do. I guess it would depend on whether the user uses Limits On. I know I do, so I'd have to turn that off if I wanted to do something extreme.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Shouldn't the user be able to scale the hair so that only the right parts are visible?

Not really. The way hair is modeled involves a cap and then the hair strands. So, if you scale, you're scaling it all and not just the parts under the hat. I guess I am just going to have to model hair to go with the hat. I don't see any way around it.

I picked up Lady Littlefox's Hair modeling and texturing tutorials, so maybe it's time to sit down with them and have a go at it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Some hair products come with Hat Hair morphs, but not all do. I guess it would depend on whether the user uses Limits On. I know I do, so I'd have to turn that off if I wanted to do something extreme.

Even that isn't going to help much because the morphs are so unique to this hat "fit." A hat morph is not likely to morph the hair the way this hat fits - you're more likely to see a morph for a hat like the Cowboy hat which sits on the top of the head and not "around" the head like this helmet does.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Awww, Traci... really, I'd just let folks work out the hair issue for themselves, instead of driving yourself crazy..... Your outfit looks so great to me. Hugs!