• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fur in Superfly?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Without delving into the terror that is the hair room, and figuring out how to package said hair when one is done, how would one make fur for use in superfly. It doesn't have to be really long, but long enough to be fur trim.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I think you can use displacement to create fur. I didn't get too far with it but I know the maps need to be huge.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well yes, in firefly I can render fur using displacement just fine, it's Superfly that is the problem. It doesn't work the same.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
You're ahead of me. I couldn't get it to look right in either engine. If you figure it out please post how you did it here. Please?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL, well actually I generally use Parrotdolphin's materials when I need fur.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Superfly has no micropoly displacement. You will not get reasonable displacement fur no matter the map size or anything else. You will have to subdivide the heck out of your figure to have displacement fur in Superfly. Firefly has no such issues and displacement fur works fine.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So, then my only option is learning how to use the hair room to make "fur"... Fuuun

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
You do need to crank up the sub-d in superfly. I've been having a certain amount of success using a normal map in addition to a displacement map, enough that I don't have to dial up the sub-d so far it chokes.

RedPhantom

my experience with fur if you want to use displacement, it's better to use the physical root surface. It reacts better. But you still need to subdivide the crap out of it if you want longer fur.
making fur in the hair room isn't as bad as hair. It's not that hard on your system as some of the better trans mapped hair either. It depends on what you want to make furry. A jacket with fur trim is a snap. An animal covered with fur takes a bit more effort since the fur lays in different directions on different parts of the body. I recommend using the styling tools rather than the directional pulls in the growth controls. I did a quick fox in about 20 minutes. It's nothing I'd distribute but it was just a prop to show a little of what can be done. I'll post it once it's rendered.

As far as redistribution, you need to save the fur with the geometry it's grown on so it's best to do with something you've made.

RedPhantom

Here's the render.
fox fur.png

RedPhantom

Fur trim is easy, and it's not hard on resources. I did this one not too long ago. The fur was pretty quick. It's just you can't create one hair group for various parts of a figure. You have to do one for each body part, which can be tedious. The plus was the jacket had a fur material group, so I could just tell it to select that each time and didn't have to select all the polygons. I don't post much here, but I lurk so if you have questions, ask and I'll help if I can.
santa3.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's looking pretty good. The fur isn't very long, but just long enough to look like fur.